Cool bass set up for worship band

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by TheGoodTexan, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'm playing bass in a worship band for a week-long student camp coming up, and I tried something at rehearsal the other day that worked out really cool.

Here's the instrumentation:
    2 acoustic guitars
    1 electric guitar (not me)
    1 bass (me)
    drums

Many times in many set lists, they want to do just acoustic guitars only... either for an intro, bridge, or outro, or whatever... just for effect. But it sounds a little dry when they do that.

So I set up a second send from my bass guitar, that goes to a separate volume pedal, through an MXR Reverb pedal set on the Pad setting for a nice shimmer... and I fade that in/out with the volume pedal.

I added a compressor to the front end of it, and run it though an old Line 6 POD on the Fender Bassman setting on clean... then into a Crown power amp and into my old Boogie halfback 4x12 in stereo.

It sounds SUPERB.

So I'm playing bass 95% of the time, but fade this effect in an out as necessary, and man its fun and sounds good.

preactor, PastorJay and mRtINY like this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I played bass for p&w for a long time, but I never had anything as elaborate as that. I bet those volume swells are uh, heavenly. I used to do volume knob swells on notes above the 12th fret and I always got nice comments on it.

I actually loved playing bass for P&W, but honestly, I was probably too busy. I played, I think, more like a guitar player than like a proper bassist. but I sure never got any complaints.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'm a busy bass player too. But I put flat wounds on my P-Bass, and get a sort of MoTown setting, and mute the strings at the bridge a little with a bandana. It gives a lot of thud without being annoying. Plus, there's no lead instrument in this group... the electric guitar player won't even take a lead when I suggest it for him. So when I walk around a bit, it sounds good.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yup, we had no lead instrument, the leader just strummed chords, no lead guitar or keyboards. so i played lead bass. it was a blast.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

With no keyboards and no lead guitar, I can see how your set up would work great. I don't know how you got lucky enough not to have 2 or 3 keyboard players. You can't swing a dead cat on our church stage without hitting a couple of keyboard players playing ambient pads and drowning all the other instruments out.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I play bass occasionally in our worship band instead of guitar when our regular bass player is out of town. I have a MIJ Fernandes JB that I bought about 20 years ago & it came with flats that I have never changed. It sounds great so I don't see the need to change a thing. When I played bass years ago in a bar band I used round wounds but didn't like the sound of new strings so I would keep them on for several years until I started having tuning issues. I love flatwounds!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.