Hi all, I recently finished this Coodercaster Tele build. I thought I’d share some insights and photos from the build in the hope that it might help others, as I couldn’t find much info online about how to build one of these. I’d been wanting a Coodercaster style guitar for a while as a fan of Ry Cooder and Blake Mills. I started off down this track a couple of years ago by picking up a Squier Classic Vibe on ebay and modding it with a goldfoil in the neck. I really liked the goldfoil but couldn't get along with the thin neck profile or the weight of the guitar, so I decided to build my own Coodercaster. This is my first full build so it’s been quite a learning process. Here’s the spec: Neck: 2017 Fender Baja Telecaster (salvaged from a partscaster scam – long story). Body: Guitarbuild.co.uk 3 Piece Alder Tele body '67-'73 with P90 routes in neck and bridge Colour: Sherwood Green (New Old Stock finish with a slight fade) painted with nitro by BravaCaster guitars. Pickups: Mojo Goldfoil (neck) and lapsteel (bridge) from Mojopickups.co.uk Wiring: Mojo Coodercaster harness from Mojopickups.co.uk Bridge: Chopped compensated bridge from Allparts.co.uk I chose Guitarbuild’s ’67-’73 body option as it doesn’t have the channel route from the neck pickup cavity to the control cavity and I wanted to go sans pickguard. After some head scratching and I figured out that P90 routes in the neck and bridge would accommodate both pickups. I was confident that the goldfoil would fit, but I wasn’t sure about the lapsteel pickup. The info on Mojo’s website details the need for a 3mm route to allow for protruding parts on the underside, but I couldn’t find any photo’s online that showed the underside of the pickup. Here are detailed shots of both pickups: I had the body shipped from Guitarbuild.co.uk directly to BravaCaster guitars in Spain to be painted. I was initially considering Lake Placid Blue, but settled on Sherwood Green. I started by fitting the bridge plate and the neck. I then strung the guitar and (after playing it acoustically for a while) marked out the location for the lapsteel pickup using the high and low e-strings to align the pickup/pole pieces. I then drilled pilot holes for the pickup. The screws that came with the pickup were made to fit P90’s. They were too long to screw directly into the body. The torque required was chewing up the screw head. I found it surprisingly difficult to find chrome pan head screws, so I settled for some nickel screws from the hardware store. At this point I started to look more closely at the pre-wired control plate from Mojo pickups. I soon realised that I had a grounding wire that needed to make contact with the bridge plate, but no way of getting it there! After a quick search on TDPRI I realised that I’d need to drill a hole from under the bridge plate to the pickup cavity. Cue sweaty palms! Thanks to the trusty advice from the forum I managed to drill it without making a mess. First, I drilled down into the body using a large drill bit, then used a smaller bit to drill to the cavity, eyeballing the angle needed. I splayed the grounding wire and placed it flat to the body so that the bridge plate would trap it when screwed down. Here’s the pics: The next phase was to fit the control plate and do the wiring. I spent some time on YouTube watching wiring tutorials. The lapsteel and pre-wired Coodercaster harness from Mojo pickups came with instructions and a detailed diagram. Luckily, as it was pre-wired there were only a few simple steps left to do. I managed to do a decent job and didn’t make too much of a mess! Finally, I screwed in the pickups and strung it with 12’s. The intonation needed a slight tweak but luckily the neck relief was fine. I’ve since wimped out and gone down to 11’s as I couldn’t get along with the stiffer tension on the 12’s. I’ve spent some time tweaking the pole pieces to balance the volume and tone of both pickups. The only job left to do is drill the strap button holes. I haven’t been able to put it down long enough to get around to it! Here's a couple of close ups: I hope this post helps others looking to build a Coodercaster Tele! Shout out and many thanks to Ramon Goose and Waterslide Guitars for the inspiration, and of course Brava Caster Guitars for the awesome paint job and friendly customer service! Cheers!