Convince me to buy a Custom Shop!

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by smuc, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I have a FCS ‘69 Stratocaster and an American Standard upgraded with Ultra Luxe pickups. They’re both great guitars but different. The FCS is heave relic and as such instantly recognizable as FCS. The attention to detail in the build is nothing short of amazing. I did the final setups on both of them snd made changes to personalize them. One doesn’t play better than the other. They both sound great but different. The most meaningful difference between them is experiential. When I’m playing the Am Std, I’m playing a Strat. What I feel playing a real custom shop guitar is on another level. It’s emotional and visceral at the same time. That, of course, assumes you’ve found a guitar you can bond with at that level, but it’s something beyond my experience with any other of my guitars. @Peegoo says the right FCS guitar is magic. He’s right.

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Life is short and sometimes fleeting. You have worked hard for most of your life and can afford a guitar you have always dreamed about and the money spent will have no adverse effect on your finances. Having a really fine instrument will inspire you to play better and practice more.

Nah, I wouldn't buy one.

Happy Enchilada likes this.
  3. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

I mean, I am lucky enough to afford pretty much anything I want, but that doesn’t change the fact that I believe it‘s utter nonsense to cash out stupendous amounts of money for a product barely indistinguishable from a product less than half the price. My AV64 was around 1500€ brand new and none of the 2-3 times more expensive guitars were even a smidge better! I would not hesitate to cash out 3K for an instrument that’s half the better than the one I already have. I know about the law of diminishing returns, but I feel that no matter how much more cash you dump, you’re paying for the bragging rights and that’s it.

Could not care less if theres a CS, Fender or a Squier on the headstock, as long as it feels and sounds right. I guess I will play what I have until something worth changing for comes along…

I have tried a fair share of boutique and non-boutique amps and pedals, and for what’s worth, I build boutique amps and pedals myself. A good guitar is what gets my attention. :)
    That‘s a good advice right there. I will always take my 64 and be on the hunt until something better pops up… :)

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've never seen a used Tele style CS for less than $3200.....Was trying to by a CS Nocaster a couple months ago and the guy wouldn't budge off $4000!

Note! Fender prohibits dealers from advertising less than MSRP so call if you see one online and you'll get 10% right off the bat and if stale stock may be better deal...

That said. Sounds like you have a lot of great guitars and I'm sure you're at the the point of realizing the difference between any good guitars is they are simply different; not better or worse. Ergonomics and appearance sure can be though! I have a CS 70th Anniversary Broadcaster and that heavy relic neck is amazing! Tone is stellar too so a win win in my case!

5. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I once thought that those who spent big money on Custom Shop instruments were...stupid.

Then I walked into a store and picked up a CS 70th Anniversary Broadcaster Relic. I sold three good guitars to get it and now it's mine. First guitar I've owned in a while that I can't wait to play, always play longer than I had planned and can't stop thinking about when I'm not playing it. I suppose someone will read this and think I'm stupid, I don't care...I love that guitar.

NewKid, VillainSean, Paulie13 and 6 others like this.
  6. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

"Buy a Custom Shop!"

(did it work?)

I say scratch the itch ...if you don't like it, just sell .... ta-dum!

VillainSean likes this.
  7. pi

pi Tele-Meister

If you need convincing, then don't do it.

VillainSean and Happy Enchilada like this.
  8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Afflicted

Fender CS Telecasters are the cream of the Fender crop! Better wood selections, upgraded hardware, hand wound pickups (no two sets will be alike). Each guitar ends up having its own mojo and individuality.

Suggest to get the best price, do as I did, I went to Musicians Friend website and did a chat asking if they could give a discount on the FCS Tele pictured in my Avatar. I noted that I was both a senior and US Navy veteran; I was offered the tele for $3,485 vs. the $4,100 MSRP. They sent an email confirming the offer, which I took to their parent company Guitar Center, for price matching to help the store manager work a deal replacing my FCS Tele which was damaged by their repair department. As an FYI Guitar Center online chat offered only 7% discount on the same tele.

YMMV but couldn't hurt to try.

smuc likes this.
  9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, the Fender Custom Shop guitars are horribly awesome! You definitely need to get one, and like mfguitar said, life is short. Go find the one you like, you won’t regret it.

VillainSean and smuc like this.
  10. timbraun

timbraun Tele-Meister

Keep checking them out but stay picky! If it doesn't bond with you move on. If you never find one - I hope you're enjoying the search.

If the search doesn't intrigue you, let it go. You can shelve the search for a while and come back to it.

But be sure to keep playing what you have, ' cause you enjoy it. :)

smuc likes this.
  11. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey its your money if you want it go for it doesn't matter what your skills are just enjoy life

12. Heymikki

Heymikki TDPRI Member

Eh I’ve had a few nice custom shop teles and strats. I just picked up a MIM road worn series and that guitar plays just as good as my custom shop tele, and it cost me $3k less. I was attracted to custom shop models because I like the vintage specs, but this road worn fits that bill at a fraction of the price.

NewKid, chris m. and Happy Enchilada like this.
  13. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

I'm not really qualified in some ways to weigh in - I've never owned nor have I ever desired a CS guitar.

Two reasons:

1. I'm a hot rodder and tweaker at heart. My favorite Tele is an MIM Player I swapped out most of the metal parts on. It plays like butter and I love the fact that I had a hand in that. I do that with all kinds of guitars, like my $138 Firefly 335 copy with Seymour Duncan pickups, Gotoh tuners, and all US pots, switch, and jack. I find (as you no doubt have found) that it's far more satisfying and cheaper to go that route.

2. I am a former worship musician. One of the things that I find ironic about most Christian guitar players is that they pretty much all aspire to CS instruments and Taylor acoustics. The guitars of choice of dentists and divorce lawyers everywhere. Jesus, after all, rode a DONKEY when he wasn't walking (or nailed up).

My best advice is to play the CS darlings side by side with your hot rods that "fit like a glove" and decide for yourself. If you find yourself sitting there holding the CS axe and thinking "this would be perfect if I changed this out," then you're wasting your time and money. And if you have to be CONVINCED, as another poster said, then you probably don't REALLY want to do this.

If you have geetar money burning a hole in your pocket, consider a new amp. For what they want for CS guitars, you could get a helluva tube amp (or 2). And you can have hours of fun getting new sounds out of it, scaring the cat, pissing off the neighbors, etc.

And even though buying USED makes good economic sense, if it were me, I'd go new every day. Once in a lifetime purchase, warranty, that new guitar smell ... and that delicious case candy.

How's that for going the long way around the barn?!

smuc likes this.
  14. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Y'only liv' once. Y’can't take it with ya'.

smuc likes this.
  15. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

I was browsing through the YT videos and found out that I like the way 1963 CS tele sounds. And then I ran into this video and instantly thought to myself - this one sounds freaking amazing!

Just to read in the description that it has the same pickups that are in my AV 64… :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I‘m doomed! :D

16. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Yeah, I personally prefer stock guitars. Pretty much the only guitar I modded was the Troublemaker by putting the vintage tuners on and changing the wiring to LP 50s wiring as I rarely play on 10 and like to tweak my sound on the guitar. I even put the Wizz PAFs but I realized soon enough that they don‘t work well with that particular guitar so I put the stock ones back in.

I guess, as you say, once I run (if I run) into one that fits, I will know. :)

17. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I have owned two Custom Shop guitars. The neck on the first one warped and Fender would do nothing. The second one I bought had a gap between the neck and the neck pocket that was about 1/8" of an inch and I sent it back for a refund. I went to Wildwood guitars and played about 20 Teles, all from the Custom Shop and all really expensive. I didn't like any of them enough to spend that much money. My point is, if you order a guitar from the Custom Shop it's still a crapshoot. You may get certain things you want and you may not. A friend of mine who ordered a guitar from the Custom Shop received a guitar that was nothing like he asked for. I know there are others here have CS guitars that they love so it is possible to get good CS instruments but there is no guarrantee it will be the guitar of your dreams. The Custom Shop guys are excellent craftsmen but it's still a matter of interpreting what you want.

smuc and chris m. like this.
  18. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I won’t talk you out of it. I have a CS Stratocaster and a CS Telecaster. They are both perfect. For rock music, the Stratocaster is my #1 and for country music, the Telecaster is my #1.

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Try a couple .. If they speak to you then buy one .. and if they don't then don't.

I love mine, but have no problem acknowledging that for some a MIM player tele is as good as it gets

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Easy.
    You like Fender guitars. You want a new one because only weirdos don’t want a new guitar and you don’t seem weird.

You want great fret work. You want it to be shielded when you get it. And you want seafoam green with vintage tort and nitro and extra light aging. So…CS.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.