Convince me to buy a Custom Shop!

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by smuc, Jul 22, 2021 at 9:31 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

So, I have an AV 64 tele, an AV 65 strat, an MIJ Troublemaker tele, a Squier Esquire and a Chinese made Gretsch. Every single one of them is an amazing guitar. I got everything I need and I have been looking for a good reason to buy a Custom shop Fender, but still cannot find it.

I have tweaked and set up all of my guitars to death and all of them fit like a glove, and every time I grab a CS, they just don‘t justify the extra cost, and to be honest, don‘t even sound better. Perhaps I have this tone of my guitars engraved in my mind and they serve as a benchmark for everything else.

Maybe I should just shut up and be grateful for already playing some world class instruments…

But hey, maybe you convince me? :D

2. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buy it because you deserve it! How's that?

Mr Swisher, Blackmore Fan and JL_LI like this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

I have no problem talking anybody into a CS. I am lucky enough to have aquired 2, the EC and the Mary Kaye Strat. I bought both of mine used, for less than the cost of a single new one, so keep your eyes opened.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Nope, I can’t and won’t do it.

stepvan, timbraun and nickmsmith like this.
  5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

After selling all my guitars and pedals to chase one of my dream guitars,

id say do it. It maybe my only guitar for a while, but dang, its one heck of a guitar.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  6. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Hmmm, nice try. My playing unfortunately, does not deserve even most of the ones I already own… :confused:

And I‘m not kind of a guy to reward myself just for the sake of it. If I‘m buying it it needs to feel or sound better than what I already have.
    I mostly buy used, and I am on the lookout. I just still have not played a CS that left an impression on me.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I'm afraid I have no good arguments to offer.
    The good side being that you already have all you need to make the best music you can!

Tele-friend and timbraun like this.
  8. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

I guess I still need to find one like that.

One of my friends did exactly that for an very old 335. The guitar is worth a lot but every time I play it, it does not feel like anything special. For him, it‘s the best guitar in the world.

VillainSean, LPTyler and Peegoo like this.
  9. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Love it, I guess that‘s also one part of the reason why I cannot justify a CS :)

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I would never buy a guitar based on a human recommendation--unless it comes from one of my guitar pals that I trust.

Pick up and play as many as you can, and the guitar will recommend itself to you.

Or not!

I have two CS Fenders (a Tele and a Strat) in my guitar library and both are pure magic. Really.

JL_LI likes this.
  11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Nah. What will a CS do for you, that the other guitars won’t? If you buy a new one, it will decrease in value immediately, just like any other guitar.

if you find one and love it, great! Otherwise, I don’t think it’s necessary.

a cheaper guitar can be set up to feel like a CS. And pickups are swappable. People can’t tell a CS sound from a regular line sound.

12. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

What leaves you cold about 'em? Ultimately, if the price were the same as a new AmStandard, would a CS guitar be competitive to you? I guess the question I'm asking is whether the label is a turnoff, or the product itself?

13. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

I certainly understand the itch to shop/buy/compare/setup/tweak etc. but this is a solution in search of a problem. You aren't impressed by CS and you don't know what you'd want them to make you. Why do you want one then - status symbol? Never-ending quest for "the best guitar ever"? Maybe you're better off casually hitting guitar shops - small and local if possible - until something sings in your hands, or doing a build with Warmoth/Allparts/GFS etc. Or like you said, just play the awesome instruments you have.

Hilariously, this is the most anti-GAS set of responses I've ever seen in a guitar thread in my 16 years perusing forums.

14. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

upload_2021-7-22_10-4-35.png

El Duderino and JL_LI like this.
  15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    If “every time I grab a CS, they just don‘t justify the extra cost, and to be honest, don‘t even sound better” is your experience, you are in Gotta Acquire Stuff/“just so I can say I had one” territory. Only you can determine if those justify the outlay.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The best Strat I ever owned was a 2007 CS 1960 model.
    It was a GC special run, black with matching headstock.
    Being, uh, older, I owned many 50-60s Strats.
    This was as good, or better.
    It wasn’t new, or really that expensive when I bought it, about $2,000.
    I sold it to a friend, who tours with it.
    Conversely, if you’re satisfied with what you have, then you’re done, IMO.

JL_LI likes this.
  17. Westsidebluesman

Westsidebluesman TDPRI Member

Try a G&L

horax likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

So your current guitars are awesome and they do exactly what you want and you don't think a CS guitar will do anything for you? Maybe you need a boutique amp instead or a ton of super expensive boutique pedals.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  19. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

If you have the means to buy a CS and it won't remove funds from necessities, and you want it, buy one. If it was me, I'd take my #1 and play side by side with multiple CSs until you find the one. I wish I had done this when bought a Les Paul standard this year. I still prefer my LP Special over the LP so now I have a "pricey" guitar that sits on a stand and looks pretty

carpenter, JL_LI and ReverendRevolver like this.
  20. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

If you can snag a used CS that speaks to you for a few hundred less than new, that seems like a good reason: you got a deal.

I'll probably never own one. Once you get to a certain price point, typically $2k, I can't see a practical reason to go further, as you can buy a slightly cheaper used guitar that will be exactly as perfect except need a 4way switch, different color pickgaurd, etc.

But, if you're financially able to scoop a CS and really want one, I'm not sure why not. They cost about what top of the line production US Gretsch costs, so I'd go for one of those and stick with teles costing $500-$1500.

I'd want a specific and unique color, setup, etc. So I'd price myself out for sure. I saw a sparkle CS for like $4.5k on an add that had a Bigsby and 2 tv jones pickups, "journeyman " relic. I thought "sucks it doesn't have a tele single in the bridge and lighter relic....".
    Plainly, there would never be any pleasing me.......

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.