Converting Mustang presets for Super Champ X2 (SCX2)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by RadioFM74, Nov 5, 2016.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

There are many fantastic Mustang presets out there, and they sound as great on the SCX2, if not better.

I am referring in particular to the “Mustang Monday” presets posted by Shane Diiorio in his youtube channel “intheblues” (careful, it’s addictive):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNYCekIbACIRUPs1qmL-ZqLIS9daaiXhg

Before I move on: Shane, if you are reading this, I want to say that we all owe you for sharing your fantastic presets. You have helped turn “ok practice amps” around the world into “incredible tone machines”, and this includes my small Mustang I and my beloved SCX2. I never thought that modeling amps could sound that good. Thank you!!!

Now, converting Shane’s tones to the SCX2 is absolutely worthwhile, but kind of tricky. From my experience of the last days, there are essentially three challenges (apart from the adjustments you must make to adapt a preset to the speaker you’re using):

a) the preset structure is very different: in Mustangs you can preset everything except the Master volume, in an SCX2 you must / should preset separately the “gain” signal path, then the fx chain, plus there are some things you have to note down (e.g. Gain, Treble and Bass settings)

b) while the Mustang “gain” signal path is structured in gain+volume(+master), in channel2 of the SCX2 you only have a gain knob; I haven’t yet really understood how much the “volume” knob affects your sound on the Mustang, but be it as it may you sort of have to translate the “gain+volume” of the Mustang in a gain measure.

c) Mustangs v2 have models of pedals and amps that are not (yet?) available for SCX2 (e.g. the “Greenbox” = Tubescreamer, “British watts” = HiWatts) so one has to look for the most similar.

I want to start this thread to see if SCX2 owners can share some insights on how to tackle this problems and (of course) if we can share presets.

So far I have transposed these ones successfully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjK9YrRHqA&list=PLNYCekIbACIRUPs1qmL-ZqLIS9daaiXhg&index=26

“Two-Rock” was the trickiest. And I am struggling with others

If you’re interested, I’ll be more than happy to share my “translations” for SCX2 of Shane’s Mustang Monday presets!

2. RadioFM74

OK so, the very first thing to know: can I open a Mustang preset on the SCX2? Answer: depends…

1) Make sure you have downloaded the Mustang preset that interests you on your computer (easy: just sign up to the Fuse Community, log in, search, and download… they are very light files, 2-5 k each, so you can download away with no fear of cluttering your computer). Open it once with the SCX2 unconnected, and note down the settings for Gain, Treble and Bass. You’ll need it later.
    2) Connect your SCX2 to the computer via USB, open Fuse, and switch the amp on.
    3) (Try to) open the Mustang preset you have downloaded.

At this point, three things can basically happen:

A) The “components” of the preset (amp, cab, pedals) are all available for the SCX2: the preset opens up. This will happen, for instance, for the intheblues “Fender Custom ’68 Deluxe Reverb” preset. It might sound like crap, though, because the settings for gain, treble and bass will be the ones on which your knobs are set, not those of the preset. But you have noted them down, so you can set them right. And adjust the F/X level to your liking, too (because that also “disappears” from the preset). Ready to play? Enjoy!
    B) The preset uses pedals that are not available for the SCX2 (e.g. the “Greenbox” stompbox). Take as an example the "Super Reverb Reissue” preset from intheblues. Fuse does not attempt to find an equivalent pedal, it just gives you the preset without the offending part, and you’ll have to figure out if an available pedal can come close (usually yes). That’s why it’s also a good idea to note down the settings of the pedals when you first open the preset without the SCX2.
    C) The worse case scenario is that the preset uses an amp that SCX2 does not have, e.g. the “Two Rock” preset from intheblues. In my experience, this may lead the application to freeze, or it may turn out well and then Fuse proposes you a replacement amp. In which case you’ll surely have a lot to tweak to get close to the desired preset. Besides, the proposed amp may not be the best. For instance, for “Two Rock” Fuse proposed British ‘80s, but to my ears British 70s was a lot better.

Saving presets once they are to your liking is for my next post…

3. azfatboy

azfatboy TDPRI Member

As I indicated in the SCX2 thread, I am definitely interested in your translations. I've only listened to a couple of the videos so far, but it sounds great to me. Makes me kinda sad that I got rid of my Mustang II!!!! (not really, I am so happy with my SCX2)

Look forward to hearing your translated presets!

4. RadioFM74

Hi @azfatboy … so here come my experiences so far.

First, I have sort of rounded out my collection of settings for now. there’s a couple settings I’ve noted down for Channel 1 and I have noted down about 26 for Channel 2 (many have shared “basics”, e.g. mids and “advanced amp” settings such as choice of cabinets). Many of these are based on Shane’s settings, and the translation has been easy except for the ones that use a different “basic” amp such as the Tweed Twin and the Hiwatt. For those ones, I’ve had to mess around a bit with the available amps and speakers, mostly with good results. If any of Shane’s presets interests you in particular, I will share with you (in fact, I am more than willing to share with you all my presets).

Now we come to the “saving”, and the experiences I’ve made this week.

With the SCX2, as noted in my first post, you have to note most of the preset down since the position of the knobs on the amp is not “saved”. So I have a fairly elaborate sheet, which I have printed out to take it with me.

And then I realized that all this work is just for home practice and recording, really, unless you can simplify a lot (down to 2-3 basic presets and FX you like to use). Here’s the explaining. For the very first time, I’ve taken my SCX2 for a gig. It was a good experience. Plugged in a bigger speaker cab, the amp could keep up no problem with the drummer.

But the point is: with a mustang, you switch presets between one song and another (or during the same song) at the flick of a (foot)switch. With an SCX2, you have to pick up your sheet, adjust all the knobs, and … I found that you just can’t inflict this on your bandmates.

So what I’ve done has been basically sticking to 2-3 of the presets and work from there. So I guess that all the work teaches you what the potentialities of the amp are, and is also great for home recording, but for gigging you have to pick your favorites.

And then adjust them to a different level of volume. Because the SCX2 is (part) tubes, so if you crank it it will sound different!

That’s where I’m at … and I am guessing that sometime soon I’ll book an hour in the rehearsal room to prepare my “stripped down settings”.

If you have any questions on the presets, I’ll be glad to share.

PS: the one slightly frustrating thing with the onboard effect is that there is no way to (foot)switch from one to the other. If anybody found a way, then I’m all ears!

5. branta

branta TDPRI Member

Is there some place you have posted the presets for SCX2 or can you send them to bluesboyrand@gmail.com? thx

6. branta

branta TDPRI Member

Is there some place you have posted the presets for SCX2 or can you send them to bluesboyrand@gmail.com....thx

7. RadioFM74

Hi @branta . I have since sold my SCX2 (long story… still think it’s a great home amp). I have found among my files the setting sheets… problem is, I don’t remember which amp was on which “voice” slot (I had changed them around). But I’m sure you can figure it out. For instance, the “Blue Jeans Grange” is a tweed deluxe. I had also fiddled some with the cabinet sims and I have no way to retrace how. An easy way for you to check this would be to compare my “voice” knob slots with Shane’s original settings from Mustang Monday.

Hope it can help you!

Best

SCX2 settings sheetPRINT_Pagina_1.jpg SCX2 settings sheetPRINT_Pagina_2.jpg

8. branta

branta TDPRI Member

9. branta

branta TDPRI Member

I would love to have a copy of those translations for SCX2. CAN YOU SEND THEM TO BLUESBOYRAND@YAHOO.COM, or make them available on the FenderFuse presets website.....thanks BBRAND

10. branta

branta TDPRI Member

11. branta

branta TDPRI Member

Thank you very much. Just curious...what did you trade up to?

12. RadioFM74

I bought a 64 Tremolux some time ago. I found myself using the SCX2 only for tweed sounds, and when a nice little 5F1 clone came my way I decided that the SCX2 would be happier and more used with another owner. But I keep thinking it’s a wonderful little amp, toneful and well thought-out

13. RadioFM74

Hi, the sheet is basically all I have and all you need, provided you “get” the right amp model. I’ll try to remember:

Voice 1 should be a Bassman with a 2x12 cab
    Voice 2 can’t remember… some big tweed
    Voice 3 is the Tweed Deluxe
    Voice 4 is the Bassman
    Voice 5 is the Tweed Champ
    Voice 6 and 7… some Tweed Deluxe Variant (they both come from intheblues patches you already find in the Mustang presets website)
    Voice 8 BF twin
    Voice 9 ditto with 10’’ speaker cabs (also an intheblues patch so you can check)
    Voice 10… can’t remember (intheblues)
    Voice 11 Deluxe Reverb
    Voice 12 British 60s (one of the best models!)
    Voices 13 and 15 can’t remember (in the original intheblues parches it was the HiWatt which isn’t present on the SCX2)
    Voice 16 was the SuperSonic.

Once you’ve placed the right amp models / cabs on the various “voices”, my sheet is all you need. Effects to taste :)

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Right click each image and save it to your computer.

15. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Hey RadioFM74, just got a scx2 and am learning what it can do with Fuse....and wanted to say thanks for posting all the stuff in this thread. It's helping me a lot and I really appreciate it!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. yosukeg

yosukeg NEW MEMBER!

Hello. As you may notice it, Fender discontinued Fender Fuse Support. I have a Super Champ X2 and now cannot download any presets anymore. If someone has downloaded them already, please share them with me.
    Best regards.

17. RadioFM74

I noticed it and am also pretty p#ssed about it. Not for my SCX2 (which I sold quite some time ago) but for my little Mustang…

I have a boatload of them, and am willing to share them if we can find a way.

BTW: welcome to the forum!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.