Converted Squier Standard Tele to 70’s custom

Db145

TDPRI Member
After buying a CV tele deluxe I realized how much I like the control/switch layout on the tele body (not too surprised as I primarily play my Epi LPs but like the tele shape) and decided to convert my 2003 Standard which I rarely played to a 70’s custom. I was planning to sell it actually as the deluxe was gonna be its “replacement” but after getting lowballed on my es339 I figured it wasn’t even gonna be worth selling an 03 Squier despite having invested in fret level and it having a nice playing neck.

So, I bought CV 70’s custom loaded pickguard, wired up with a solderless wiring kit off eBay with Bournes 500k pots, bought MDF router template off reverb, and a used Ryobi router on OfferUp. Also installed classic vibe tuners which I had been planning to put on the Standard but never got to.

Really happy with the outcome and I believe it will be getting much more playing time once the new saddles come in. strangely enough the string-through and bridge holes are 54mm wide yet saddles are 10.2mm wide. I’ve always noticed gaps between the saddles so the new 10.8mm will fix that
413EA558-3CF4-44F4-ABB1-9BE7CD18EB6B.jpeg
6C11CD0A-B3F5-4E24-BF3B-FFA6DB7908E7.jpeg 81F6FDDC-4C8B-41FC-BD6C-67A60F6DF6B7.jpeg
And here is the original way back before I changed pickguard and pickups throughout the years
F3F9C5E9-1683-4DDC-AF85-1194790D2138.jpeg

Last edited:

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice looking Squier tele!

I’ve also encountered the narrow saddles with spacing gaps between them on Squier Standard series bridges, and have used 10.8mm wide saddles to eliminate those gaps. The second pic is the before with stock narrower saddles, the first is the after with wider saddles.

805CB163-99E9-4CC9-B6C4-6A91BD639B02.jpeg
F5F13D23-F448-426A-ABCB-F6336D5431C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Db145

TDPRI Member
Nice looking Squier tele!

I’ve also encountered the narrow saddles with spacing gaps between them on Squier Standard series bridges, and have used 10.8mm wide saddles to eliminate those gaps. The second pic is the before with stock narrower saddles, the first is the after with wider saddles.

Thank you!

Yep, that looks like what I have going on. Gotta bunch the saddles together so I don’t have inconsistent gaps between strings.

What year is your Standard? I’m curious to know if this was unique to a certain era. My original controlplate was also wider than typical Fender spec. That made for an unpleasant surprise when I first replaced the pickguard as the new guard cutout would not fit around original plate.

Last edited:

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
After buying a CV tele deluxe I realized how much I like the control/switch layout on the tele body (not too surprised as I primarily play my Epi LPs but like the tele shape) and decided to convert my 2003 Standard which I rarely played to a 70’s custom. I was planning to sell it actually as the deluxe was gonna be its “replacement” but after getting lowballed on my es339 I figured it wasn’t even gonna be worth selling an 03 Squier despite having invested in fret level and it having a nice playing neck.

So, I bought CV 70’s custom loaded pickguard, wired up with a solderless wiring kit off eBay with Bournes 500k pots, bought MDF router template off reverb, and a used Ryobi router on OfferUp. Also installed classic vibe tuners which I had been planning to put on the Standard but never got too.

Really happy with the outcome and I believe it will be getting much more playing time once the new saddles come in. strangely enough the string-through and bridge holes are 54mm wide yet saddles are 10.2mm wide. I’ve always noticed gaps between the saddles so the new 10.8mm will fix that
View attachment 1041141
View attachment 1041143 View attachment 1041147
And here is the original way back before I changed pickguard and pickups throughout the years
View attachment 1041142
Niiiiiice job! Impressive, and one handsome result.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you!

Yep, that looks like what I have going on. Gotta bunch the saddles together so I don’t have inconsistent gaps between strings.

What year is your Standard? I’m curious to know if this was unique to a certain era. My original controlplate was also wider than typical Fender spec. That made for an unpleasant surprise when I first replaced the pickguard as the new guard cutout would not fit around original plate.
I forget which one was in that pic, but I’ve seen saddles like that on all my Squier Standard Series from 2000 and newer, my pre-2K ones had 6 barrel shaped saddles. The two Squier Standard Series Tele eras with which I’m familiar are the ‘90s 6 barrel era and the 2K and newer 6 block era. And they had two different patterns of screw / STB holes for each era.

Edited to add: All my Squier teles have the wider control plate with corresponding larger half circle hole in the pickguard, too. And the holes are smaller for smaller pots.

Last edited:

Db145

TDPRI Member
I forget which one was in that pic, but I’ve seen saddles like that on all my Squier Standard Series from 2000 and newer, my pre-2K ones had 6 barrel shaped saddles. The two Squier Standard Series Tele eras with which I’m familiar are the ‘90s 6 barrel era and the 2K and newer 6 block era. And they had two different patterns of screw / STB holes for each era.

Edited to add: All my Squier teles have the wider control plate with corresponding larger half circle hole in the pickguard, too. And the holes are smaller for smaller pots.
Always cool to see how the series evolves (or doesnt haha) throughout the years. I found some good info on the Standard series on Squier wiki however they don’t mention bridge string spacing so I wasn’t sure if they ever changed that.

I’ve ordered some 10.8 Highwood contoured vintage style saddles. They’re similar to Fender’s bent steel saddles but with a string groove and recessed height adjustment screws. Can’t wait for them to arrive and complete the “build”.

squirejones

TDPRI Member

So, I bought CV 70’s custom loaded pickguard, wired up with a solderless wiring kit off eBay with Bournes 500k pots, bought MDF router template off reverb, and a used Ryobi router on OfferUp. Also installed classic vibe tuners which I had been planning to put on the Standard but never got to.

View attachment 1041141
View attachment 1041143 View attachment 1041147
View attachment 1041142
That's very sweet. Love that finish.

el cheapo

Friend of Leo's
I think you did a great job! IMHO it looks better than the original. :)

One thing to note is thinner saddles give you room for adjustment. My Squier Bullet Tele had thick saddles which prevented me from getting the strings where they needed to be. My #1 string was too close to the edge of the fretboard and the thick saddles prevented me from doing much about it, other than moving the neck (which did help some). I had a spare Squier Standard bridge so I swapped the thinner saddles onto my Bullet and was able to get it just right.

Db145

TDPRI Member
I think you did a great job! IMHO it looks better than the original. :)

One thing to note is thinner saddles give you room for adjustment. My Squier Bullet Tele had thick saddles which prevented me from getting the strings where they needed to be. My #1 string was too close to the edge of the fretboard and the thick saddles prevented me from doing much about it, other than moving the neck (which did help some). I had a spare Squier Standard bridge so I swapped the thinner saddles onto my Bullet and was able to get it just right.
Thank you!

Yep I did notice the new saddles brought it a little closer to the edge but fortunately, I haven’t had any issues pulling it off. I don’t like strings to close to the edge for sure but I what I couldn’t deal with was uneven string spacing with the original saddles. New saddles sorted that out for me