Converted Schecter PT Special

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Funkyard49, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Funkyard49

Funkyard49 TDPRI Member

I had purchased a Schecter PT Special because I liked the bound body and 12" radius neck plus the contour heel, arm rest and body I found the light weight nice but a little top heavy, did not like the bridge PU, the p90 was OK, After buying American Deluxe tele with the n3 it was heavy at 8lbs 13oz at 69 years young I wanted a light guitar. So I converted the Schecter, first added some body weight filling in the center cavity with wood (0.25 lb made a difference) and it still weighted under 7.25 lbs, since I liked the 3 way switch I purchased an new control plate, becuase the control plate/cavity had the top contour, I used a dremel sanding drum to widen the the cavity, purchased a new pickguard and installed new Dimarzio Area T pickups. Now I have a really nice looking, playing, sounding tele for under $600!!!! Before and after pictures in! IMG_1806.JPG IMG_1666.JPG

2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice! A classic look with a bit of customization.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

4. ILoveTheP90s

ILoveTheP90s NEW MEMBER!

What pickguard did you use? Or did you make it yourself?
    I really want this guitar but was told the pickguard wasn't fender standard, so modding would be difficult because finding a new pickguard that would fit it would be difficult.
    I really want to make it a Nashville Tele with a single coil in the middle and a push-pull pot on the volume for a hot neck mod!
    I have tried to stop looking at the sunburst model but it just keeps calling out to me like the mythological sirens called to delirious sailors.

5. The_Rodge

The_Rodge NEW MEMBER!

Hey Funkyard,

I have the same guitar and am probably going to do a somewhat similar mod. My big problem is that the stock tone pot is pretty subpar. You can turn it 90% and hear no change, and then you hear a ton of change in the last 10%. The odd shape of the control plate does mean I'll have to widen the cavity, as you mentioned. How much did you have to widen it? I'm fine with the pickups for now, but I'm probably going to throw in a mojotone solderless wiring harness under a standard tele plate. I had it left over from a prior tele mod, so I figure, why not? I think the push-pull feature of this stock control plate is pretty cool, but it's not so awesome that I'd take it over a properly functioning tone pot. I considered just replacing the tone pot, but since I have the pre-wired solderless harness, my thinking is to use that.

Did you run into any major issues I should be aware of?

Thanks!

6. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The_Rodge, this thread is more than a year old and the OP hasn't been around since April of 2019. Don't think you're gonna get a response from him.....

Just sayin'....

7. The_Rodge

The_Rodge NEW MEMBER!

Probably true. There is precious little on modding this guitar so I figured I’d try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.