1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

convert off-on-off Gibson pickup selector to on-off-on Dano pickup selector

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by papaschtroumpf, Oct 29, 2020.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

I could have sworn I had seen instructions on how to take a gibson style switch and rearrange the leaves to turn it into an on-off-on switch so I could wire pickups in series Danelectro style

Any idea? If all else fails I'll buy a switch but I like the idea of modifying the spare I have lying around

upload_2020-10-29_21-8-55.png

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I got curious how these Danos were wired since I used to have a 59 12-string. Pretty clever way to cheap out on parts. Anyway I don't know about rearranging the Gibson switch - and I wouldn't - but you should be able to figure it out by staring at it for awhile.

Besides, on-off-on switches are easy to find in many styles...more than the on-on-on toggles guitars normally use.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

The normal wiring for a Gibson is one pickup/both/the other (Neck/both/bridge). If you look at your picture, there are two groups of two terminals on the right side. If you bend the inner ones together that becomes the output, the out side terminals become the two inputs. Is is the usual LP wiring, there are lots of variations. This puts the pickups in parallel in the middle position

[​IMG]

Don't have any idea how a Danoelectric works thats how a Gibbie does it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  4. wabashslim

Danos, at least the kind he wants, are both pickups in series in the middle position. The switch is garden variety on-off-on toggle, not like a Gibson at all.

crazydave911 and SecretSquirrel like this.
  5. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

that's the point. I heard you can rearrange the internal blades of a Gibson switch to make it on-off-on, instead of buying a new switch, which I can't find cheap with a tip/lever style I like. they are either too thin or industrial size and hard to operate.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. wabashslim

The switch pictured is the cheapo import version, I don't know if it successfully comes apart & goes back together, but the US version might. Like I said, I'll bet if you just study it awhile you can figure it out.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It does; the two little screws run through a sandwich of conductors and insulators into a threaded plate on the opposits side.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

I did that once. But that's a few years ago. I remember it was quite fiddly. The plates need just the right amount of bend to keep the handle from being able to move in the middle position. I'll have a look if I can find it in my parts collection.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. peterg

peterg TDPRI Member

Here is the order to rebuild the switch to have on-off-on switching. The phenolic paper (or whatever the insulation pieces in your switch are made from) go back between the metal pieces. The wiring tabs on the middle pieces (the ones with the hoop and connect with the post) need to be bent together.
    AE5533E4-D62B-4C7B-B42B-F79C8B312AC8.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    SecretSquirrel and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.