controlling volume

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mark N, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

I can't remember who posted the idea of controlling volume using the guitar's volume knob rather than the amp but I want to thank them! I know this is an old technique used by many but I gave it a try and you know what? It works! I play my teles thru a 410 Blues Deville and I recently started to gig with a band. Up until this point I always played at home with low volume. Playing out and a bit louder I noticed the amp was awful trebly and very ear piercing at around 4 on the amp and guitar cranked up of course. So....I back off on the guitar and turn up the amp to 6 or 7 and WOW a total difference. I can still get some nice sparkle and twang without going overboard. My 52 ri has a funny volume pot. At full on it's hit you in the face and loud, roll it off a bit and it mellows up drastically. It's not a smooth taper between 8 & 10, but my MIM standard is so I still have to play with those some. I also have a Boss Blues Driver comin this week and I can't wait to dial it all in....sorry for the ramble...

2. Brad

Brad Tele-Afflicted

Volume

Hey Mark, you will find the Blues Driver to be very responsive to your guitars volume knob. It should work well with your set-up.

It really is a revelation of sorts when you discover why volume and tone knobs were put on a guitar! The Tele, of course, seems to be the one guitar that really responds to vol & tone tweaks. It took me years to start using the vol & tone knobs.....now, I can't keep my bloody fingers off em! Really opens up a new realm of tonal possibilities. Of course, some guitars just do not sound good unless everything is on 10. Glad to hear it's working for you and your finding your tone.

3. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

I agree Brad

Thanks for the reply, I agree, it is a revelation of sorts, kinda makes you feel good when you're close to getting the tone you want (all thanks to tone and volume knobs)without having to spend a lot of time and money on stuff. Now G.A.S. will never go away mind you. Now all I have to do is re tube the amp, the tubes are originals (7-8 years old), I got it second hand 'bout 3 years ago. Once I get the blues driver I'll be tweakin like crazy to get everything just right

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.