Control Pocket depth

reggiebuster69

TDPRI Member
Hi fellas, Currently building a walnut tele with a thickness of 1 5/8" to make it a little lighter. I have routed the control pocket to 1 3/8" as opposed to the standard fender 1 1/2" due to the thinner body. However, an unfortunate routing accident has left a gouge on the top, to remove, Ill have to plane about 1/16" to 1/8" off. I am using a standard tele 3 way switch and I'm concerned that the reduced pocket depth and the planing will not allow the switch to fit. I'd be fine to just cut out another body and start fresh, but any solutions to make this body work would save me quite the headache.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The switch needs about 1 3/8 cavity to fit. If you plane the body down from 1 5/8" to 1 1/2" you will have 1/8" left at the back of the control cavity. I guess it will work but will be thin - a bit thicker than an acoustic guitar back.

gkterry

Tele-Afflicted
You could use an alternate switch type. The toggle switch type comes with a reduced depth model. Another option would be to eliminate the switch entirely and use a blend pot in place of the tone.That would blend the two pickups together or select only one or the other by turning the pot all one way or another. Another option would be 2 volume pots: one for each pickup with no switch.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
No sense scrapping a good chunk of walnut. Where is the gouge? Pix?? Perhaps it can be repaired/filled. Perhaps a nice inlay!

Not the most elegant solution, but you could also simply rout all the way through and use a plastic plate on the back. It would also remove a little more weight.

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
A metric toggle switch is just under an inch in depth and gives you either pup plus parallel.

IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG

reggiebuster69

TDPRI Member
Only ended up having to take about 1/16" off the top which was a relief, ended up taking timbresmith1's advice and routed only where the switch comes down. Fitment is a little tight and the back is thin but everything checks out. She's ready for nitro, thanks for all the help.

eallen

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
+1 on Schaller Megaswitch for depth. I started using them for reduced control cavity depth on rear control bodies. Now I use the Megaswitch M 5-way as standard unless someone requests a 4 or 3-way.