Control Plate Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LoudTele, Sep 12, 2009.

1. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

I'm finishing up a modified '52 style that I'm building for my daughter. I bought a prewired control plate, but the wiring does not seem to match the various schematics I've compared it to.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the switch terminals:

[​IMG]

It doesn't really resemble the schematic; Notice the wire from the 5th to the pot, but in the diagram, there is a wire jumping the 1st, 3rd, 6th and 8th terminals, then going to the pot.

Don't know if it matters, but the switch is labeled "Ming Shi 3L-P"

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Differen't type switch than a normally seen 3 way but could have the same options and be wired correctly. Hook it up with aligator clip/test leads and test it prior to breaking out the cutting torch!

3. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

The white wire coming from the switch to the volume pot is the hot or common terminal. The hot lead from your neck pickup will go to the two terminals to the left of the common and the hot lead from the bridge pickup to the two terminal to the right of the common. This would be my guess anyway, may be backwards as well. If you don't have some kind of continuity tester like mentioned above all you can do is trial and error.

4. braderrick

It's hard to tell from the pics, tell me again about the terminals.

There are 8 total? Are you numbering them left to right (1-8)?

Which terminals is the white (hot) wire connected to?

The jumpers you are talking about, are they connecting the 1,3,6, and 8 terminals all together or just the 1 and 3 together and the 6 and 8 together?

5. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

Actually, due to the orientation of the pic, I'm numbering them right to left (or, in technical terms back@sswards) - So, from right to left, the white wire to the pot is soldered to the 5th terminal; In the top pic, the rightmost terminal is not clear, and on the bottom pic, the 5th is somewhat obscured by the solder.

As I looked at it, my first thought was "Why would they go through the trouble of wiring the plate, if I needed to add an additional jumper wire?" - but then, if I'm not adding the jumper, do I just wire the pickup hot wires to the terminals shown in the wiring diagram? BTW, the wiring diagram came from the Seymour Duncan website, but the connections are the same as the Standard Tele drawing on the Fender site - So I assume that is what I'm shooting for.

6. braderrick

Ah I see now, there are 8 total lugs (terminals) on your switch, the output wire comes from the 5th terminal from the right. There are no jumpers on it yet right?

As far as the diagram you have, it is useless for your type of switch. The seymour duncan digram is shown using a crl or oak grigsby type switch with two rows of terminals. So just ignor the jumpers and the diagram all together.

Your switch an overseas version and they are all different it seems. I have several out of Japanese teles I'll get out and look over. Let me ponder for a bit and see what I can come up with.

7. braderrick

Well I found two 3 way switches in my box of junk with 8 terminals in one row like yours. The only thing that throws me off is the fact that yours has only one of it's terminals connected to the output (volume pot.).

On the ones I have the middle two terminals must both be connected to the volume pot.

You can try to wire it like mine and see how it works out if you want.

From right to left according to your picture:

1) Solder your neck pickup lead across both #2 and #3 terminals.

2) Resolder your white output lead to both terminal #4 and #5.

3) Solder your bridge pickup lead to both terminal #6 and #7.

If this doesn't work at all or if it works only some positions let me know the outcome and we can go from there. A continuity tester would be great if you had one but I guess you don't?

Also I guess you know but the other wires from the pickups have to be soldered to the back of one of the pots for ground.

8. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

9. braderrick

I see that the switch in cc9ii's diagram is wired a little differently but the switch he is refering to is the same as what I'm taliking about. So either way should work, which ever one looks easiest to ya go for it.

10. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

There is more than one way to wire it :p

Warning: I've not checked whether the switch lug orientation is the same as you've installed the switch, so you might find bridge position give neck output, etc.

It might be easier to follow braderrick's instructions since he give all the switch lug numbers. Just got to follow each step carefully. Good luck.

11. braderrick

By the way that's a very nice diagram cc9cii, how do you guys do that? I'm not too good with computers, do you use a program or what? THanks!

12. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

I'm just using OpenOffice... (because it is free :eek:, at the beginning, but once I started using it I found it has better features than MS Office)

I would like to get some CAD program for it but I've not found one (again free :D) that I like yet.

13. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

Thanks, everyone - I was hoping that it was a quasi standard switch that someone would have encountered in this configuration before, but I guess not. I will get a tester and see what I can figure out. I will post what I learn on this thread, in case someone else has the same question.

For the record, the eBay seller was "SuperStore57" and here are his pics, which are probably clearer than mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

I just got a response to my query from the seller:

[​IMG]

I will give that a try and post back if after using it, I feel the need to replace the switch.

15. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

If that diagram is correct then I have no idea what kind of switch you have.

16. braderrick

Hmmm yep that is confusing. You'd think they would have just sent you a copy of that diagram with the plate. I'm sure they have gotten this question before.

17. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

18. cuervogold

cuervogold NEW MEMBER!

Bought the same switch for the Grosh ElectraJet replica I'm building. This diagram - the one sent to LoudTele by the seller in response to his query - is correct! Thanks very much for posting it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.