Control Plate Question - Toggle Switch Between Volume/Tone Knob?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tonytrout, Jan 28, 2014.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I've seen at least three guitars ("Clarence", James Burton's 1969 paisley & one other Fender Tele) with a small toggle switch between the volume & tone knobs.

What is the purpose of the switch? Does it act like some sort of a boost?

2. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

I completed a mod on my Highway One Tele a few years ago, which resulted in a mini-toggle switch in the spot you describe. I don't remember what the mod was called, or exactly what was involved, but it basically used a resistor circuit to allow you to get a little bit of the bridge pickup sound (maybe 10%) when the neck pickup is selected and vice-versa. One position of the mini-toggle selects the mod - the other position normal operation. Pretty cool, and makes for other tonal possibilities.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Burton had a switch to put his pickups out of phase. It can be heard in a lot of early Haggard tunes among others he played on.

Depending upon wiring and what type of switch it is, you could do multiple things. Some people use a push/pull instead of the extra switch that needs to have a hole drilled in the control plate.

4. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Series/Parallel is another option, if you don't have a 4 position switch.

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

No telling what it does.. I'd most likely put a kill switch there but it could just as easily be a boost, coil tap, phase etc..

6. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the answers, fellas! I've played electric guitar for over twenty years and never knew what those little switches were for until ya'll answered here. Thank you so very much!

7. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

On a 3-pickup '98 American Deluxe Tele, the switch gives you two extra sounds in addition to the 5 "strat" positions. They are bridge and neck combined, and all three pickups combined. There, now you have it all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.