Control cable Rolling Bender G bender on a tele?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by TelenTubes, Apr 10, 2020.

1. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I have a tele that is routed for a Parsons-White B bender, but because of the price to get one installed, I opted to try out a Rolling Bender instead. Man, this thing is slick!

So, in messing around with this thing, it occurred to me a G bender would have actually been preferable for the playing I do. So, I just ordered one of those, too.

Then it occurred to me that I'd still like to make this a strap-activated bender. The through-hole where the B string would attack to the PW roller (below the bridge) is actually perfectly aligned to be the through-hole for the Rolling Bender G bender lever...

I was thinking about how to rig this up... I need some control cable of the pull-pull type that can make one 90 degree bend, and attach where the Rolling Bender belt loop activator would go... then attach the other end of the cable to the strap lever. With the right spring tension, I think this could work.

Now I just need to find where I can get some control cable and fixtures.....

What do you guys think?
    61WP7msxUmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Turns out you can... Rig one anyway. Again, this is to complement a Rolling Bender, which pulls a lever that moves the bridge instead of wrapping the string around a post to raise the pitch.

So... I'm halfway there. Some fuel line and a catfish leader and some compression fittings with a bracket to hold the tube into the body, and we have this:
    IMG_0620.jpg

I gave up trying to find hardware parts to make the lever and hub assembly. I will epoxy a bolt down into the recess and I ordered a custom cut part for $9 that will serve as the strap lever to rotate around the bolt. That leaves room to attach a spring. It's been a while since I took geometry, but the range of motion for the lever should be more than the range of motion for the Rolling Bender saddle.

Probably should have mocked this all up on a scrap piece of wood, but whatever.

On a completely unrelated note... when I ordered this body, I thought it would be cool to have a relic'ed body in this color. Now that I've stared at it for a week tweaking parts, I'm thinking about just painting over this over-relic'ed mess. The guitar is one of the smoothest playing I have.

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Okay, question on sourcing a part...

I have the arm now. I need an axle that I can epoxy down into the hole. I was thinking about using a 3/8" bolt, but the short bolts are all-thread and the bolts that have the smooth surface have the smooth surface too long. I'm thinking that since the arm is aluminum, using a threaded bolt as the axle will eventually eat into the arm? Is there another common hardware store part that might work?

IMG_0653.jpg

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you need to worry about the steel reacting to the aluminum, it would take a very long time. You could get a clevis pin instead of the bolt and just cut it to length that you need and put a hairpin clip to hold it on with maybe a nylon space to keep it all snug. Please keep us posted on the results, I have a Rolling G bender and I may want to add a B Bender as well. Guitar should look very cool!

TelenTubes likes this.
  5. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Thanks, man! Since I'm epoxying the bolt into the recess, I kind of want to get that part correct, lol! But a clevis pin is an excellent idea and Tractor Supply or Lowes will have them. I could probably thread the end of the clevis pin since I might find an aluminum one that's soft. Excellent suggestion I didn't think of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.