Contractors/flippers/builders/interior design aficionados : when will white/black/grey/oatmeal be over ?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
To further bolster my belief that HGTV is a continuing reality tv show, last night they set up the couple of the day by stating they were very famous world travelers, tremendously successful long time New Yorkers, and would be moving to Australia. The man would finish his book he would be writing, and the woman would continue conducting her business by media. I thought surely, they would be seeking to BUY a two-or three-million-dollar mansion from the buildup. What they actually were looking for was an eighteen hundred dollar a month rental. Sheesh!

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've never liked that either. My thought was always to hide the TV set, not feature it. Besides, I prefer the screen to be at eye level.

Designers hate TVs, and are still in denial that the TV is the main purpose for most greatrooms. They cling to some sort of Victorian notion that people still have guests over for high tea and want to sit in facing chairs and sofas and talk with each other.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I am a Realtor and I must say it all makes me nauseous. It is like a fad took over the housing industry purported by the most plastic people on the face of the Earth. It is corporate attitude business that has overcome our society in the last 20 years. Sheep dog herding, and the dumb folks follow. My favorite are folks who talk big. Yeah, I want a fixer-upper and during the search, emotions get the best of them and I can see, they can only get happy with a finish product, extra points for bright industrial & loud. HGTV is rarely practical for most home buyers and it messes their head up. HGTV, friends Mom & Dad, budgets usually helps make an irrational decision.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
I've never liked that either. My thought was always to hide the TV set, not feature it. Besides, I prefer the screen to be at eye level.

Designers hate TVs, and are still in denial that the TV is the main purpose for most greatrooms. They cling to some sort of Victorian notion that people still have guests over for high tea and want to sit in facing chairs and sofas and talk with each other.
I don't mind TVs and don't necessarily think that they need to be hidden. Beside the fact that fire shoots upward and, even if only in theory, burns everything above it, a TV above fireplace is too much visual information and is clutter IMHO. Sight angles are important, too.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I feel like home improvement shows and the resultant promulgation of what's "correct"-looking have turned everyone into lay interior designers. Of what little time I spend thinking about the subject in general, exactly zero cycles are devoted to what "professionals" think about it; esp. given the hideously optioned/modified vehicles I've often seen them arrive in and the general quality/attention to detail in their work.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I don't mind TVs and don't necessarily think that they need to be hidden. Beside the fact that fire shoots upward and, even if only in theory, burns everything above it, a TV above fireplace is too much visual information and is clutter IMHO. Sight angles are important, too.

When I said "hide," I meant making them less conspicuous--as opposed to prominently featured--in the room. The TV in our den is not the first, second, or third thing you notice when you walk in. Of course, that's purely a matter of personal taste. The one in the basement is conspicuous. But at least for me, the basement lives by a different set of rules.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
. My favorite are folks who talk big. Yeah, I want a fixer-upper and during the search, emotions get the best of them and I can see, they can only get happy with a finish product, extra points for bright industrial & loud.

In my area there are no fixer-uppers anymore, except in the ghetto. Any house that hits the market has already had the kitchen, baths and floors done. And done cheaply.*

But then by the time houses are listed around here, they've already been through two flippers owners since the last people to live there moved out. And those were cash transactions.

*cast resin "granite" counters, slap new MDF doors on the old cabinets, jobber-grade appliances, pre-finished laminate floors...

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
"

"Contractors/flippers/builders/interior design aficionados : when will white/black/grey/oatmeal be over?"​

When you paint your interior other colors and then post a buttload of pics on pinterest and instagram.

C'mon! You c'n be a Influinser! rriiiight

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Our Livingroom, entryway, hallway, kitchen and bath are various shades of gray, kitchen backsplash is made of translucent blue/green subway tiles. Those colors are then carried throughout with various pieces of furniture and accent piece including my photographs. Ceilings are flat bright white. Trim is bright white "eggshell" finish, two levels of luster below the traditional semi-gloss and the walls are all "matte" finish. All Benjamin Moore Aura base. Our mater bedroom is a shade of green that she likes and our individual "caves" have yet to be refinished so they are representative of the colors that were popular in the late 90s , early 2000s.

Anyway, all of this to say that we really like what we have done with the place and the grays are actually very comforting/relaxing colors and it allows us to get a little more stylish with little pops of colors. I did all the renovation work and painting and we picked all the new furnishings together, so how it is really reflects our tastes in 2021. And yes, our tastes are driven by tends to a certain degree, but it's a way better trend than the
"mauve" and "taupe" craze of the 80s.
Yes, and Williamsburg blue and mauve in the affluent southeast. Went out about 20 years ago. Still prevalent in the homes of, um, experienced people.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen some great Craftsman houses with beautiful built-in cabinets, lovingly maintained and/or restored. They are completely unsuitable for modern living.

I'm looking at houses now, and what I want is a kitchen and bathrooms that have been upgraded with quality materials by the residents for their lives, not a sale.