Contractors/flippers/builders/interior design aficionados : when will white/black/grey/oatmeal be over ?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
What about West Coast Modern? Around here, this is the favourite current house design. They all start to look the same.

020-west-coast-modern-rockwood-custom-homes-1050x700.jpg

Frank Lloyd, right?

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Frank Lloyd, right?

I think many of his designs are amazing. These are all random. They'll stick a strip of corrugated metal somewhere just to have it? Why oh why?

This style is called "West Coast Modern". I've been assuming it came from Cali/Oregon/Washington. Is it popular down there, too, comrades?

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
If you have any taste or sense of aesthetics, you’ll end up changing all the wall colors anyway. Why should contractors spend more money and labor hours on a bunch of different paint colors in an attempt to appeal to buyers, and in the process turn off as many as they turn on? It’s far cheaper and easier to just paint everything white or grey, or (shudder) beige, knowing the buyer is just going to redo it all in the colors they prefer.

Last edited:

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
restored

the show to watch is restored. that dude has 'got it'.

I kicked around some ideas for having him come up and do a block of homes all at once in one of our neighborhoods... it would make for a whole season of tv and would so tranformative and cool for people.

Is that the one with the cowboy hat guy that’s always stoked?

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If you have any taste or sense of aesthetics, you’ll end up changing all the wall colors anyway. Why should contractors spend more money and labor hours on a bunch of different paint colors in an attempt to appeal to buyers? It’s far cheaper and easier to just paint everything white or grey, or (shudder) beige, knowing the buyer is just going to redo it all in the colors they prefer.

Now explain why it's the same story in home design magazines. Shouldn't they be leading the way in instructing people what to paint their walls once they buy that beige bungalow?

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Exactly the same explanation.

These magazines are for people who DON’T have their own sense of taste or aesthetics.

??? Wouldn't that be the place to tell them to add colour?

My ex-sister-in-law went ape-poop in the way their house was designed. It was all white and grey, and this was a custom design and build, so you can't argue that contractors were cutting corners. The house was all corners.

The two-story great room with the two story wall of glass was all white. (All white furniture with three young children -- you can guess how well that turned out.) Yes, the room was all white, *except* this enormous granny-smith-green vase. It must have been four or five feet tall. I larfed when I saw the room the first time. It was so "designed". Right out of a magazine.

These days, post divorce, my brother-in-law is living in a more modest house he likes a lot better.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
Flipped houses in my hundred year old neighborhood are white, white with black trim, black with white, and shades of grey. Interiors are white with granite.
I want to paint my house lavender with lime green trim.

Last edited:

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
If there’s an existing colorful (color ?! 😲) 30’s-60’s bathroom , even if it’s crack free and the plumbing has been upgraded ? Rip it out ! 🙈
Yes, white fiberglass with a faux tile fiberglass stall is so much nicer than porcelain coated iron, and so much easier to replace when it scratches and chips.

Colors today are from 1984; not the era, the novel.

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister

My ex-sister-in-law went ape-poop in the way their house was designed. It was all white and grey, and this was a custom design and build, so you can't argue that contractors were cutting corners. The house was all corners.

The two-story great room with the two story wall of glass was all white. (All white furniture with three young children -- you can guess how well that turned out.) Yes, the room was all white, *except* this enormous granny-smith-green vase. It must have been four or five feet tall. I larfed when I saw the room the first time. It was so "designed". Right out of a magazine.

These days, post divorce, my brother-in-law is living in a more modest house he likes a lot better.
Living in a trailer would be better than living with a kook with zero sense of style.

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m not an interior designer and I don’t play one on TV…

But as an investor, I try to go with what’s current on new builds and flips. For the long term rentals, I focus more on timelessness and durability. In either case you need to cater to the target demographic of potential buyers or renters. I do most of the cosmetic type work myself (floors, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) Whether I personally like it or would do it for my own house is irrelevant.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Living in a trailer would be better than living with a kook with zero sense of style.

Gotta tell my trailer story.

Sister-in-law had a two-year-long affair with a supposed friend of my brother-in-law. Then they were caught and it blew up. At one point the adulterers claimed it was over, but my brother-in-law still had an app on his phone to see where his estranged wife's phone was. Yup, in the trailer of the "friend". (See, there's a trailer!) My brother-in-law thought the friend's wife should know because she had "taken him back". Friend's wife went nuts, drove to the trailer, saw the sister-in-law's BMW parked there, scratched "DOOR" (well, rhymes with door) onto it, went into the trailer and dragged sister-in-law out by her hair.

The cherry on this was that the sister-in-law tried to use this incident against my brother-in-law at the divorce, saying he provoked the other woman to attack her. The judge said women in that situation rarely need to be provoked :lol:

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
I'm all about one color on the walls throughout. When I walk into a house where every room is a different color with different flooring, my head wants to explode. I've lived through the dark oak trim phase, the golden oak trim phase and the current white trim look. With wood floors and cabinets you have enough contrast. No white cabinets though they look cold and stark.

When it comes to flipping, one color throughout makes the space appear larger and appeals to a larger audience. Just because you like your lime green accent wall doesn't mean the potential buyer will. Neutral colors are soothing, provide continuity of design and are middle of the road, non-polarizing colors. If you neither love it or hate it, mission accomplished.

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
Gotta tell my trailer story.

Sister-in-law had a two-year-long affair with a supposed friend of my brother-in-law. Then they were caught and it blew up. At one point the adulterers claimed it was over, but my brother-in-law still had an app on his phone to see where his estranged wife's phone was. Yup, in the trailer of the "friend". (See, there's a trailer!) My brother-in-law thought the friend's wife should know because she had "taken him back". Friend's wife went nuts, drove to the trailer, saw the sister-in-law's BMW parked there, scratched "DOOR" (well, rhymes with door) onto it, went into the trailer and dragged sister-in-law out by her hair.

The cherry on this was that the sister-in-law tried to use this incident against my brother-in-law at the divorce, saying he provoked the other woman to attack her. The judge said women in that situation rarely need to be provoked :lol:
Sounds like a scene out of Idiocracy with a leased German vehicle. 🤪

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted

I guess I just don’t know what you’re trying to get me to explain. People without their own taste and style follow whatever the latest trends are. Is that not an obvious trait of human behavior? It seems obvious to me, but I don’t claim to have the same perspective as others.