Contractors/flippers/builders/interior design aficionados : when will white/black/grey/oatmeal be over ?

cigarman513

Tele-Meister
Don't know but I dont personally care. But we do what the homeowners want. Like shiplap, it wont age well. Sometimes it looks great, but its not my style. Too flashy for me. BUT, I don't care for it in the kitchen, but I do like that style in the bathrooms.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt with me. You walk down the street and see...

1.jpg

west-coast-header.jpg

Nanaimo-13-1024x683.jpg

contemporary-green-home-facade-wolfe-construction-ltd-img~40110ba20b57b781_4-8675-1-9fcd909.jpg

inspiration-exterior-landing-header-sm-a.jpg

It's like they have a basic tool kit of 6 boxes and they rearrange them and make a house.
That’s how Canuckistan looks?
What are those things, retractable Cold War bomb shelters?

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Sometimes we call them “gray castles”.

White bright glaze subway tile, Carrara marble, large format porcelain that looks like Carrara marble, “quartz” counters that look like Carrara marble, every shade of gray under the sun, paint every inch of natural wood interior trim white or light grey or black, black exterior window trim and more and more - sub in an oatmeal color for one of the lighter grey or white wall colors.

And, speaking of wall colors , they’ll debate for hours , 5 or 6 shades of white - that they’re going to paint every inch of every room.

If there’s an existing colorful (color ?! 😲) 30’s-60’s bathroom , even if it’s crack free and the plumbing has been upgraded ? Rip it out ! White/grey/black/oatmeal…

Interior design filters d-o-w-n the economic strata , rich to poor . So I’m waiting for my wealthy customers to call up and say - let’s gut it !

I remember when you’d start to see glass tile in HD commercials, I knew was going to have to start ripping out/redoing backsplashes in the wealthier locations - which def happened .

So - I’d like to think this trend is peaking but I see no clear end in sight…🤔🙈
Are you complaining about getting work?

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
Been a licensed architect for more than a couple of decades now. I think the predominant trend has always been to look like you came from money. It used to be to look like you came from old money. Now it is moving towards looking like you came from new money. Personally in my own work I try to look for irony or subtle exaggerations in forms, treatments, and textures. The expected unexpected and vice versa. For example, instead of opening someone's front door and immediately being thrust into a double height space I would rather go through an experience of compressed space before getting to the wow space. There is a timing element to the event. Not many think of things in terms like these unless you are a theory junkie like me. Kinda the point for doing it in the first place IMHO.

cigarman513

Tele-Meister
Been a licensed architect for more than a couple of decades now. I think the predominant trend has always been to look like you came from money. It used to be to look like you came from old money. Now it is moving towards looking like you came from new money. Personally in my own work I try to look for irony or subtle exaggerations in forms, treatments, and textures. The expected unexpected and vice versa. For example, instead of opening someone's front door and immediately being thrust into a double height space I would rather go through an experience of compressed space before getting to the wow space. There is a timing element to the event. Not many think of things in terms like these unless you are a theory junkie like me. Kinda the point for doing it in the first place IMHO.
Thats a great way of looking at it (no pun intended). I'm with you, I don't like the "in your face" trend. I'm in construction and I don't even know the proper nomenclature for what people are doing now, but I don't like most of it. It's not organic. The worse is when they do additions over power or don't match the house or neighborhood. Or when they use stone, not indigenous to the area, that drives me crazy.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sometimes we call them “gray castles”.

White bright glaze subway tile, Carrara marble, large format porcelain that looks like Carrara marble, “quartz” counters that look like Carrara marble, every shade of gray under the sun, paint every inch of natural wood interior trim white or light grey or black, black exterior window trim and more and more - sub in an oatmeal color for one of the lighter grey or white wall colors.

And, speaking of wall colors , they’ll debate for hours , 5 or 6 shades of white - that they’re going to paint every inch of every room.

If there’s an existing colorful (color ?! 😲) 30’s-60’s bathroom , even if it’s crack free and the plumbing has been upgraded ? Rip it out ! White/grey/black/oatmeal…

Interior design filters d-o-w-n the economic strata , rich to poor . So I’m waiting for my wealthy customers to call up and say - let’s gut it !

I remember when you’d start to see glass tile in HD commercials, I knew was going to have to start ripping out/redoing backsplashes in the wealthier locations - which def happened .

My wife is a great fan of HGTV where every night before we go to sleep, we watch at least an hour of flippin' and flappin'. Each evening, they tear out the fireplace mantles, and replace them with one's made of plywood, paint the brick, and when they get through with the house, (that originally sold for thirteen thousand dollars in in 1961) they hold an open house and people line up to bid up the $899,000 starting price. With the ever-present shades of gray, Earl Scheib would have made a killing in today's housing market.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeds contempt with me. You walk down the street and see...

1.jpg

west-coast-header.jpg

Nanaimo-13-1024x683.jpg

contemporary-green-home-facade-wolfe-construction-ltd-img~40110ba20b57b781_4-8675-1-9fcd909.jpg

inspiration-exterior-landing-header-sm-a.jpg

It's like they have a basic tool kit of 6 boxes and they rearrange them and make a house.

Looks like an entire block of late '80s Public Libraries...

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
restored

the show to watch is restored. that dude has 'got it'.

I kicked around some ideas for having him come up and do a block of homes all at once in one of our neighborhoods... it would make for a whole season of tv and would so tranformative and cool for people.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
When will it be over? When Miz Diane says its over, obviously. We have three bedrooms, two baths. 11 different shades of biege, taupe, grey. My music room is light blue, the only "color" in the whole blinkin' place.:rolleyes:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
To me it all looks too sterile.... I don't mind it per say but when every, single, home I walk into looks exactly the same, it's just kinda boring to me. It's weird to me that most of the homes I've seen even have the same nicknacks, like people are all shoping at Ikea or something and buy the same stuff???

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity

I've worked in homes all over Southern California for the past 40 years, from Watts to 50 million dollar+ homes. The homes of people that have real money, and old money, they're just normal interiors. They don't give a damn about their appliances, and having the latest flashy stuff. They just replace stuff when they need it. Their homes look lived-in, not like sterile museums.

The people that are deep in debt, and trying to impress everybody, they're the ones with all the flashy stuff, and the wide-open homes with high ceilings, echoes, and all that.

I also had many very rich friends from when I was a teenager into my 30s, just over the river from my city in Newport Beach. Their homes were really homie, not sterile places. I still do work in that area and it's the same way.

But some folks want the granite, they want the stainless steel, and they want the marble floors, so they keep us all working. My advice would be, stop watching the Property Brothers, and all those shows 😁

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's that or igloos.
I like those houses you posted better than I like most suburban McMansions.

When we sold our Winnipeg house, our orange/red living room, (and yellow kitchen, and etc etc) were painted various forms of white on the advice of the realtor. When the new owners took possession, they promptly painted the living room red.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Don't know but I dont personally care. But we do what the homeowners want. Like shiplap, it wont age well. Sometimes it looks great, but its not my style. Too flashy for me. BUT, I don't care for it in the kitchen, but I do like that style in the bathrooms.

Are you complaining about getting work?

No, my body is telling me my time is over but I still (especially now) have people chasing me down the street waving money - and I don’t advertise.

I do not care what I install but occasionally I’d like to be wowed or surprised by someone thinking somewhat outside the norm.

restored
the show to watch is restored. that dude has 'got it'.

I kicked around some ideas for having him come up and do a block of homes all at once in one of our neighborhoods... it would make for a whole season of tv and would so tranformative and cool for people.

Yeah, he’s good.

My favorite of all the shows ?

Maine Cabin Masters. Such a breath of fresh air. As unpretentious as these types of shows have ever been.

Watched a new episode on Monday . Ryan was wearing a Billy Strings t-shirt !

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
I've worked in homes all over Southern California for the past 40 years, from Watts to 50 million dollar+ homes. The homes of people that have real money, and old money, they're just normal interiors. They don't give a damn about their appliances, and having the latest flashy stuff. They just replace stuff when they need it. Their homes look lived-in, not like sterile museums.

The people that are deep in debt, and trying to impress everybody, they're the ones with all the flashy stuff, and the wide-open homes with high ceilings, echoes, and all that.

I also had many very rich friends from when I was a teenager into my 30s, just over the river from my city in Newport Beach. Their homes were really homie, not sterile places. I still do work in that area and it's the same way.

But some folks want the granite, they want the stainless steel, and they want the marble floors, so they keep us all working. My advice would be, stop watching the Property Brothers, and all those shows 😁
100% my experience as well, those first two paragraphs.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Well... this thread forced me to look in the mirror.

The Ben Moore shade in my guitar room is "Wall Street"... ouch.

20181215_130024.jpg