Contractors/flippers/builders/interior design aficionados : when will white/black/grey/oatmeal be over ?

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sometimes we call them “gray castles”.

White bright glaze subway tile, Carrara marble, large format porcelain that looks like Carrara marble, “quartz” counters that look like Carrara marble, every shade of gray under the sun, paint every inch of natural wood interior trim white or light grey or black, black exterior window trim and more and more - sub in an oatmeal color for one of the lighter grey or white wall colors.

And, speaking of wall colors , they’ll debate for hours , 5 or 6 shades of white - that they’re going to paint every inch of every room.

If there’s an existing colorful (color ?! 😲) 30’s-60’s bathroom , even if it’s crack free and the plumbing has been upgraded ? Rip it out ! White/grey/black/oatmeal…

Interior design filters d-o-w-n the economic strata , rich to poor . So I’m waiting for my wealthy customers to call up and say - let’s gut it !

I remember when you’d start to see glass tile in HD commercials, I knew was going to have to start ripping out/redoing backsplashes in the wealthier locations - which def happened .

So - I’d like to think this trend is peaking but I see no clear end in sight…🤔🙈

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm an oddball. I dont like most stone countertops at all. I do like some granite or stone that is not gloss, more natural.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I know where it started : rhymes with kragbowlya… (hint :Waco)

And from there forward , everyone’s imagination, vision, artistic sense was wiped clean !

Don’t forget the large black metal frame pendant lights ! The bigger the better !

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Spend any time on Zillow looking at homes in large markets where flipping is popular, and you will see the interiors of the vast majority of those homes look identical...same boring color pallet...:oops:

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
Yeah and faux stone front of houses. Some are nice but some are sort Burger King looking.

On the other hand I grew up around older house and I really like white subway tile.

A builder friend says it runs in ten year cycles. So, things may change in a year or two.

Maybe we'll go back to oranges and avacado greens? Shag carpet? Yeah baby!

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
What about West Coast Modern? Around here, this is the favourite current house design. They all start to look the same.

020-west-coast-modern-rockwood-custom-homes-1050x700.jpg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Go to the paint store. There are hundreds of colors. My wife and I just finished an attic to basement renovation using earth tones, blues, soft greens, more blues. The shingles outside are also pointed blue. Like I said, there are hundreds of colors. The boring part is furniture where gray, white, and parchment prevail but lamps and occasional pieces can be used to add color. What you won’t find is Fender Tequila Sunrise.

Last edited:

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sometimes we call them “gray castles”.

White bright glaze subway tile, Carrara marble, large format porcelain that looks like Carrara marble, “quartz” counters that look like Carrara marble, every shade of gray under the sun, paint every inch of natural wood interior trim white or light grey or black, black exterior window trim and more and more - sub in an oatmeal color for one of the lighter grey or white wall colors.

And, speaking of wall colors , they’ll debate for hours , 5 or 6 shades of white - that they’re going to paint every inch of every room.

If there’s an existing colorful (color ?! 😲) 30’s-60’s bathroom , even if it’s crack free and the plumbing has been upgraded ? Rip it out ! White/grey/black/oatmeal…

Interior design filters d-o-w-n the economic strata , rich to poor . So I’m waiting for my wealthy customers to call up and say - let’s gut it !

I remember when you’d start to see glass tile in HD commercials, I knew was going to have to start ripping out/redoing backsplashes in the wealthier locations - which def happened .

So - I’d like to think this trend is peaking but I see no clear end in sight…🤔🙈
Our Livingroom, entryway, hallway, kitchen and bath are various shades of gray, kitchen backsplash is made of translucent blue/green subway tiles. Those colors are then carried throughout with various pieces of furniture and accent piece including my photographs. Ceilings are flat bright white. Trim is bright white "eggshell" finish, two levels of luster below the traditional semi-gloss and the walls are all "matte" finish. All Benjamin Moore Aura base. Our mater bedroom is a shade of green that she likes and our individual "caves" have yet to be refinished so they are representative of the colors that were popular in the late 90s , early 2000s.

Anyway, all of this to say that we really like what we have done with the place and the grays are actually very comforting/relaxing colors and it allows us to get a little more stylish with little pops of colors. I did all the renovation work and painting and we picked all the new furnishings together, so how it is really reflects our tastes in 2021. And yes, our tastes are driven by tends to a certain degree, but it's a way better trend than the
"mauve" and "taupe" craze of the 80s.