Contemporary Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bloomz, Oct 22, 2014.

1. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

2. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

This seems common. I was looking for Tightrope pedal kit and found different prices from the same seller on reverb.com, ebay.com, and their own website. I contacted the seller through his website, pointing out that there was some products were on the website but not on reverb.com. He ended up doing the deal on reverb.com. Maybe less fees on one marketplace vs another.

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

That is a lot of money, I had the Strat model about 10 years ago. Bought one in really nice condition from a US seller on eBay. Thought I had bought a bargain at £160 including shipping and taxes. Never liked the feel of the black painted neck, the only neck I have ever failed to get on with (apart from Rickenbacker 12 strings, but that is another story). Considered parting it out, but with the neck, the positioning of the jack socket on the edge of the body, different shaped scratchplate etc. the market was not going to be great for the parts. Reluctant to take a loss, it took me a year of trying to get my money back on it, in the end eBay and the shipping companies took any profit.

4. bloomz

I have 3 Contemporary Strats - but not a Telecaster - yet. They are exemplary. I recently bought a JA-90 Tele and play it most these days - but no trem.....so

On da hunt - that one is yes, way too expensive.

When gas strikes - the conclusion is inevitable.

5. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

What kind of vibe did these teles have? Looks like a heavy rock/metal type tele would that be right?

6. bloomz

That didn't take too long - gas came and went.

Bought a white one (HH) for $650. A double Bucker Tele with a System 1 trem - kewl!

I think that extra switch must be coil split? Claimed to be a 1 owner that bought it new.

Now the waiting for the brown truck.

[​IMG]

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice pick up. If I'm remembering correctly (and I haven't had one of these in my hands since about 1986 or 87) the mini-toggle is a coil split.

8. bloomz

I love ebay....but that phone app - I'm powerless over it.

I did a BuyItNow to avoid the bidding race. Been watching and in bids most are ~$900 and up.

Correction - terapeak shows these going for more like $600 so I paid a decent price but the guy claims it's virtually unplayed with zero scratches or dings.

I did see one on terapeak that went for $950 also a one owner.

I'm still good with that - I'm fussy about pristine guitars. If they get a scratch or dent I want to be the one that did it - but it never happens cuz I am strictly a mancave player.

Oh and it also has the OHSC

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  9. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

I own one of these. It's probably hands down the best playing guitar I own. It even plays better than my American guitars. I bought it new in 1985.

Mine is all black with the rosewood fingerboard. I can get the action lower on this than any guitar I've ever played. It's all original except for the bridge HB which I replaced with a DiMarzio Tone Zone, but I still have the original stock bridge HB.

I remember when these were going on the used market for as low as $200 about a decade ago. Now the prices on these have shot up to around $500 for the 2HB version and around $650 for the HSS version (mine). I don't think anyone will pay $1250 for one but who knows? The market for Japanese Fenders has been increasing in the past few years.

I'll never sell it.

10. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I've given up on Reverb. It obviously has higher asking prices than ebay or direct to retailers. I've ask a question to many sellers on Reverb and maybe, just maybe heard back from 50% of them. I've decided from now on I'm only buying pedals via the internet, guitars and amp - bricks and mortar store.

11. bloomz

Well it's 2 days after NGD and I am now officially a happy camper.

It's pretty much as new, no dings or scratches 98% mint in my estimation - but the white that's ever so slightly yellowed into that banana pudding or perhaps pearly white color.

No pickguard, TBX tone control, 2 splittable humbuckers - and - drum roll - the System 1 tremolo with string lock at the headstock (not to be confused with locking nut)

I gave it a good polish & changed the strings to Rev Willy's 7's and it plays like air (like those strings do)

Here's something I do love about System 1 - I'm honestly not that good at vibrato, wish I was, but.....it's very easy to get string vibrato with the palm of your right hand and slight pressure on the bridge - especially during bends. And - I LOVE fine tuners.

The previous owner bought it new, included the original receipt $499 in 1987 plus tweed hardshell case for $60. (I paid $650 - no regrets I like pristine old guitars)

Some may consider it blasphemous HH and Floyd on a tele - but I don't care a lick about "telecaster twang", so there. But that might be there if you split the coils, I dunno.

Pix - the first one without the flash is the color it actually looks

Attached Files:

12. bloomz

Gee, glad everyone's so excited for my new find.....

I got way more responses on the stratocaster forum

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

thats the frank black tele

pretty cool

14. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

Well, it's not really a telecaster...

15. bloomz

Well I bought it on Halloween - could it be a strat wearing a telecaster costume?

Or - an evolved telecaster?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  16. noiseboy

noiseboy TDPRI Member

Yet oddly, it says Fender Telecaster on the headstock.

Here's mine, had it since 88 or 89 when I bought it slightly used, still stone stock 26 years later. Also still my favorite guitar, I have a contemporary strat from the same era as well.

[​IMG]

And with the strat, weirdly the strat came with a 2500 series Kahler.
    [​IMG]

bloomz likes this.
  17. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Congrats neat guitar.

bloomz likes this.
  18. bloomz

What a great pair! You have good taste in guitarz my friend!

My Contemporary strats are white and Candy Apple Red.

But right now the Tele is getting all the action in my man cave. Still on the honeymoon.

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

At some point Fender dropped the System 1 trem and started using the Kahler 2500 series trem. I've never been able to pin down if that was late 1986 or early 1987 when that happened. However, they kept using the Schaller-built string clamp with the Kahler 2500 bridge.

20. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

I have an '85 Contemporary Tele, it's the HH model in Burgandy Mist and in excellent shape. It has one of the best feeling necks I've ever played. The trem system works pretty well, but I prefer to leave the locking nut open. Like most MIJ Fenders, the quality is very good.

Here is a link to the post I created (My old username) when I got my Cont Tele. Pictures further down the first page

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/85608-new-me-contemporary-tele.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.