Contemporary strat question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jarpat, Jan 25, 2020.

1. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

A guy brought one to adjust it and he asked me a question, that I couldn't answer. Can't find info with google, but you guys - you know it all.. right?
    So, what is that small (looks like a small jack) thing at the bottom beside the strap?

IMG_7182.JPG

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

It might have been some sort of after market recessed strap button/lock ?

Is it a jack with wires running to it or does it just look like a jack

Is it one of those 80s mij contemporary strats?

3. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Yes 80's mij. Doesn't look like aftermarket. Don't know if it is a jack or a hexscrew.. actually, I tried - a 2,3mm hex allen key fits fine. To adjust what..??

4. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Couldn't wait no longer.. I took it apart and yes, it seems to be an adjustment for the tremolo. IMG_7186.JPG

stormsedge likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Lol ... impatience! It's Saturday and many are not up yet.

I was going to say a trem adjuster, given the hex hole in the external button.

But it's good to see the gut shot of the guitar ;)

stormsedge likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Correct; it's to adjust the trem spring tension with an allen wrench. This guitar has the System II tremolo, which was based on the FreeFlyte tremolo used on the 1983-84 Elite Strats with some tweaks to it.

Fender doesn't go into details on adjusting the spring tension in the System II section of the Contemporary owner's manual (see link below) but they refer you to the spring tension adjustment section for the more complex System III tremolo - see page 9 of the manual (the page is numbered 9; it's page 11/38 of the PDF):

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/...and_Standard_Series_Guitars_(Japan,_1985).pdf

Hope that helps.

7. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Never seen that before. Thanks for sharing!

stormsedge likes this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Yes. The adjustment Allen wrench for the vibrato is on the end of the whammy bar.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I learn something new every time I log on!

10. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

And now you all gonna learn something more. This guitar was at my hands 2-3 years ago. At that time the aim was to get "missing parts" for that locking saddle. It turned out that there was one company, that made these parts, if there was enough people in need. It's not my guitar. It is a guitar of a friend of a friend of mine. So I ordered the part and the guitar was at my house maybe six months. Then the company said that there's not enough people to want these parts, so they are not going to start making these at this point. To remember; this was a guitar made for a few years and with different parts every now and then. There were 3 generations of this guitar in 5-6 years, each generation having slightly different parts...
    Now that guy had bought a new saddle from the interwebs and was full of spirit - the guitar is gonna "rise again". The saddle had holes where to put the strings through. And those "through holes" were too high. Neck pocket is too wide also. I took the saddle away and put in a bone saddle without (of course) any locks. Filed it to the correct size and now it feels quite nice to play.
    Still, I do not appreciate these guitars very much - no matter how rare they are...

11. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I've seen a few of those guitars in pawnshops, and the bridge kept me from buying them.

The pawnshops weren't even asking that much for them, but since I'd never really a bridge like that before, I figured eventually they'd end up being a hug PIA.

12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

My old Contemporary Tele had a System I tremolo and I remember reading the trem adjustment instructions in the manual (which covered all three trem options as per your linked document) and thinking thank goodness I didn’t have one of the System II or III trems! (The System I wasn’t half so complicated - pretty much just a 2-point tremolo plus fine-tuners and locking nut.)

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I have two Contemporary Strats with the System III on them...its a pita just to change strings on them. They're cool guitars, though...very well made.

AAT65 likes this.
  14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I imagine the PITA factor is why the System II and System III models ended at some point in 1986. Fender even swapped out the System I trem with the fairly similar Kahler 2550 unit around that same time on the remaining models - but kept the Schaller-made System I string lock.

Eventually all of the original Contemporary models were dropped except for the SSS model, and it switched to the Kahler Spyder trem as was used on the HM Strats, and they added a different HSS Contemporary model that had a figured top.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Interesting. I didn't know that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.