contemplating a Squire Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RU Experienced, Nov 19, 2019.

1. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

I have a Chinese made Modern Player Tele Plus that I like A LOT. I'm looking at a Chinese Squire Bullet Strat that's going for $75. Should I pass, or is this a decent Strat for the price of a dinner out with my wife? (she'll get the dinner out either way). Tried looking up the serial number for production date and factory but came up short. I know it might be a crap shoot, but thought I'd toss it out there anyway. Thanks for the comment's.

sd IMG_1828.jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.29.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.29.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.30.47 PM.png IMG_1828.jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.29.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.29.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.30.47 PM.png IMG_1828.jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.29.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.29.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.30.47 PM.png

2. RU Experienced

oops....sorry for the image duplication.

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

its an ok guitar, tuners not so much - nowhere near the quality of your MP. Try to find a used Classic Vibe Strat -- that going to be on a par w/ your Modern Player

4. RU Experienced

Thanks. That's helpful

5. Lamar Chipperson

Lamar Chipperson TDPRI Member

My main Strat right now is an Indonesian bullet. Punches way above its weight. I don’t think you will regret it for $75...

Bill likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Late model MII Bullets are a great value. I have a sparkle red one that I converted to humbuckers and it’s a keeper. Surprising good quality for the price. Yeah... the tuners work, they’re crud, and are easily replaced.

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I would look for an Indoesian model Affinity over the Chinese Bullet.
    You should be able to get them about the same price. I paid $50 for mine but they did not know it was an '04 model.

Upgrade the pots and switch and you will have quite the player.

Bill likes this.
  8. mally

mally Tele-Holic

I have a CV Strat sold my fender but kept this one

9. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Whoops picture
    20191121_182319.jpg

10. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I've got a couple of the Yako-made Squier Strats that were very cheap. From 1996/7, they have full width solid wood bodies and a decently full neck. The trapezoid tuners are cheapie but seem to work and the pups are a bit shrill but good for trashy sounds.

One I've kept standard and on the other I changed bridge saddles, put on a bone nut and bought some pups from an ebay seller called probora. It needed a decent setup but plays very well for what is still a budget guitar.

I think they each cost me £60 or £70 and the upgrades weren't more than £55.

They all have a YN0000 serial number on the neck plate and have the smaller headstock.

11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Squiers are good basic guitars. They usually require adjustments. It will probably benefit the most from a fret level/crown, rolling the fretboard edges a little, and a good setup to your personal specs. Everything else will most likely be just fine. Play the crap out of it to learn what it can do. Try adjusting pickup heights before you replace anything.

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think they can be hit or miss. I have a 2007 Indonesian hard tail Strat that was $70 new. It equalled or outperformed even the Custom Shop Strats I played it against in the store, and is very close in sound to my original ‘63 Strat.

A few months after I bought that I tried some new ones that I think were made in China. At any rate, those were just standard, cheaply made instruments with sharp feet ends. Nothing special at all.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Squier's are great little modding platforms. The necks can be thin and a shallow C profile for many of them and that tends to turn some people off.
    You can get them used in good condition in Pawn shops for 50 to 80 bucks all day long.
    Nut and bridge often need to be replaced. Tuners are cheap and I'd rather change out for a decent set of sealed tuners, but as long as they hold the strings in tune they're doing their job. Most tuning problems on these S type guitars come from strings sticking in the nut(Tusq Nut stops that) and a bad setup of the tremolo bridge & saddles(I usually change out entire unit for one with Steel block & saddles).
    Pickups are decent with good height adjustments(high close to strings for volume and treble - low for bass and darker tone - somewhere in the middle for good volume and equal tonal performance)(I prefer the later). If the pickups aren't cutting it and electronic mods don't do it for you(electronics in these are decent, but not great quality), good pickups are cheap these days.
    Here's a pick of a Bullet Strat I got at a pawn shop for 60 or 80 bucks. Put in a GFS steel block & saddle trem, Tusq nut, Cavalier Fat Lion Tele bridge pup, Allparts DeArmond style Gold Foil middle and a minibucker converted Firebird in neck. So right at 140 bucks of mods for a total of 220 or so, but it sounds better than the stock Fender Strat that usually cost around 700 bucks of the MIM models for 400. If the neck doesn't suit you, you can get one to your liking for around 100 more and still come out saving money.

Attached Files:

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

+1 the narrow neck being something to keep in mind.
    If you like the feel of it, I say rock on.

15. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I'd pass and look for a MIC Classic Vibe 50s or 60s strat. FWIW, I really liked the stock pickups in the 50s models.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You just need to see it as a fixer upper if you go with the Bullet. I wouldn't expect the hardware, wiring, or pickups to be any good. But it could be a fun project. If it were me though, I'd look for a used MIM or Classic Vibe.

Every Tele lover needs to at least give a Strat a shot. I was into my Teles before I bought my first Strat. Got my first and although it was strange and different at first, I learned to love it. Now I've got three and they get as much play as my Teles.

17. Switchy

Switchy TDPRI Member

With a Squier you get a lot for $75.00. You will want to upgrade the tuners, adjust the action and do an all around setup and you're good.
    You'll spend more money later because everybody does, so just get this and start learning what you like and don't like about guitars.

I've picked up some awesome deals, and I'll just advise that I generally pay $50.00 for a Squier Bullet. You can wait and look for something like a Squier Contemporary or just go all the way and get a Classic Vibe.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Indonesian Squiers all have skinny necks. You can't tell from the width/depth measurements provided but they carve from the front edge of the fretboard back so you you have a lot less circumference than MIM/MIA. Some of the China Squiers have chunkier necks. This might be one of them. If you get a picture of the side of the neck, to see if the fretboard is allowed square/flat sides not carved with an acute angle, you'll have a chunkier neck.

The pickups on these can be really amazing -- low internal capacitance. Yes, ceramic magnets but that only means you need to lower them more than the weaker Alnico magnet pickups.

You will likely need a fret level on the MIC Squiers. The MII are usually pretty level from the factory.

Get it and rewire for the Armstrong Blender so you can fade from SSS into HSH with only a wiring change. Swap the volume pot for a CTS or Bourns, Switchcraft jack, and practice good 'tuning up' (so you don't need tuners) and you'll have a fun guitar.

19. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

You KNOW you want it....go for it. Seriously, these guitars are a great modding platform and if you need to sell it, you can always get almost what you paid for it!

20. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Try before you buy with cheap guitars if possible and if you can do your own setup work you’ll be golden.

Most ones I’ve tried these days have been pretty crappy in my opinion, but I had a Squier Strat about a decade ago I got for $100 used and it was actually quite nice without any work. Made me rethink my “more expensive is always better” thoughts I had at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.