Contemplating a P-W Bender on a GCS Les Paul

Tele-Meister
I recognize there are some limitations to using a Les Paul as it won’t be a long throw. Or it’s not as “good” a match as with a Tele. But I’m feeling tempted nonetheless.

Looking for wisdom before I pull the trigger...

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I once posted a thread on this subject!
Anyways, there are other options, too.
You could use a Hipshot, or Epiphone EZ Bender.
Both are non-invasive.
The Hipshot is easy to acquire, install and use.
The EZ bender might be harder to find, but it attaches to the stop tailpuece, and works very well.
Parsons White benders have been installed in Les Pauls, but it’s an expensive and very invasive process.
Good luck!

Roger66

Tele-Meister
W
I once posted a thread on this subject!
Anyways, there are other options, too.
You could use a Hipshot, or Epiphone EZ Bender.
Both are non-invasive.
The Hipshot is easy to acquire, install and use.
The EZ bender might be harder to find, but it attaches to the stop tailpuece, and works very well.
Parsons White benders have been installed in Les Pauls, but it’s an expensive and very invasive process.
Good luck!
What's wrong with a Bigsby? I was thinking of putting one on an SG. I did not know that there were other options. School me please.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
W

What's wrong with a Bigsby? I was thinking of putting one on an SG. I did not know that there were other options. School me please.

Are you referring to Bigsby Palm Pedals, or a regular Bigsby?
Bigsby Paul Pedals work well BUT they circumvent palm muting.
The arms/fingers extend over the top off the bridge.
Not one of the best options, IMO.
They mount to the Bigsby’s frame, so they’d be non-invasive if the Bigsby was mounted to a Vibramate.
I don’t even know if they are currently available.
There me be some available on the interwebs somewhere.
To further confuse matters, there’s a device called a B Blender that also mounts to a Bigsby frame.
It’s a modified arm with a “trigger” for raising the B string.
Pretty clever!

Roger66

Tele-Meister
Are you referring to Bigsby Palm Pedals, or a regular Bigsby?
Bigsby Paul Pedals work well BUT they circumvent palm muting.
The arms/fingers extend over the top off the bridge.
Not one of the best options, IMO.
They mount to the Bigsby’s frame, so they’d be non-invasive if the Bigsby was mounted to a Vibramate.
I don’t even know if they are currently available.
There me be some available on the interwebs somewhere.
To further confuse matters, there’s a device called a B Blender that also mounts to a Bigsby frame.
It’s a modified arm with a “trigger” for raising the B string.
Pretty clever!
Oh, I was talking about a regular Bigsby. That other stuff sounds pretty silly. I do have a hipshot B-bender/E to D-dropper. It's way cool. I didn't like the fact that you had to stand up and 'hump' the big allen key-like lever and you could not use it sitting down. So I called Hipshot and asked them if they could thread the top of the lever so I could use a whammy bar to bend the B. They did it for $30, and I called them and told them it was great, and they should give people that option. They said that centering, drilling and tapping the hole was such a ***** and they had to try it multiple times until they got one right, which they sent to me, and that they would NEVER do that again. Lol. I guess Ive got something unique here. The E-D dropper is a different story. Its just a lever, which is great, because it's so easy to use, you can use it between chords lets see if I can show you a pic. Yeah! Kinda cool huh? You know, I could drill and tap that with a good vice, bit and tap, I think it's odd that they don't want to do that again. One could do it yourself, but I have the only one done by Hipshot. Big deal, lol.

Attachments

• 1623205483663-333785340.jpg
    1623205483663-333785340.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 1623205609837-895144104.jpg
    1623205609837-895144104.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 155

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Oh, I was talking about a regular Bigsby. That other stuff sounds pretty silly. I do have a hipshot B-bender/E to D-dropper. It's way cool. I didn't like the fact that you had to stand up and 'hump' the big allen key-like lever and you could not use it sitting down. So I called Hipshot and asked them if they could thread the top of the lever so I could use a whammy bar to bend the B. They did it for $30, and I called them and told them it was great, and they should give people that option. They said that centering, drilling and tapping the hole was such a ***** and they had to try it multiple times until they got one right, which they sent to me, and that they would NEVER do that again. Lol. I guess Ive got something unique here. The E-D dropper is a different story. Its just a lever, which is great, because it's so easy to use, you can use it between chords lets see if I can show you a pic. Yeah! Kinda cool huh? You know, I could drill and tap that with a good vice, bit and tap, I think it's odd that they don't want to do that again. One could do it yourself, but I have the only one done by Hipshot. Big deal, lol.

Brilliant retrofit idea!
Hipshot has always been great about mods and parts.
Cool company!
I’ve used Hipshots for almost 40 years, so I’m “conditioned” to using them.
I occasionally even use em’ while seated on a tall bar stool.
I agree most other retrofits like Palm Pedals and EZ Benders are a little, uh, flawed.
I’ve owned Glaser and Parsons/Green too.
Parsons White benders usually have too long of a “throw” for my liking.
I’m considering a Glaser for a hartail Strat I have.
My Kotzen might get one, also.

Roger66

Tele-Meister
Brilliant retrofit idea!
Hipshot has always been great about mods and parts.
Cool company!
I’ve used Hipshots for almost 40 years, so I’m “conditioned” to using them.
I occasionally even use em’ while seated on a tall bar stool.
I agree most other retrofits like Palm Pedals and EZ Benders are a little, uh, flawed.
I’ve owned Glaser and Parsons/Green too.
Parsons White benders usually have too long of a “throw” for my liking.
I’m considering a Glaser for a hartail Strat I have.
My Kotzen might get one, also.
Thanks, That will work on a barstool. The whammy bar has to be really long though. Hipshot made that too. I don't know about all the other rubbish out there, but the Parsons-Green and the Glaser sound cool. I'll look them up. Cheers!

Chet Johnson

Tele-Afflicted
I’m only interested in the “invasive” P-W string bender.
I would contact Bill Bores. I have had him do 3 Parsons White style benders , one of them a hybrid double bender with a Glaser style G, and would like him to do a 4th one as soon as I can muster up the cash. I've seen him do a variety of specialty benders including a doubleneck. I know he could do a Les Paul. Also, he is very affordable in relation to some of the other bender guys with an incredible attention to detail. The Parsons benders he did for me with suede tex lined cavities looked like jewelry in a velvet case.

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Well , if we didn't know or forgot, Gibson made an LP jr with a Glaser system for a few years. 2012-2014 I believe . According to Joe Glaser there were maybe 400 built. The Glaser system is capable of pulling the B or the G by switching saddles. These are pretty scarce , hard to find.

LP Jr, 2 x P90's, 12" radius , Grover Tuners, , Glaser system, USA born

A factory guitar rather than an add-on . The PULL is from the upper bout like a Tele, not on a neck plate. The Gibson's do not have removable neck plates ! Duhh ! So it performs and feels much like a Tele.

This one is from 2013. If you like Les Paul guitars, these are hard to beat.

Maybe a consideration ?

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

Last edited:

Tele-Meister
Well , if we didn't know or forgot, Gibson made an LP jr with a Glaser system for a few years. 2012-2014 I believe . According to Joe Glaser there were maybe 400 built. The Glaser system is capable of pulling the B or the G by switching saddles. These are pretty scarce , hard to find.

LP Jr, 2 x P90's, 12" radius , Grover Tuners, , Glaser system, USA born

A factory guitar rather than an add-on . The PULL is from the upper bout like a Tele, not on a neck plate. The Gibson's do not have removable neck plates ! Duhh ! So it performs and feels much like a Tele.

This one is from 2013. If you like Les Paul guitars, these are hard to beat.

Maybe a consideration ?

View attachment 865032

View attachment 865033

I’d have bought one if any had come up at a reasonable price. I haven’t even seen one come up in 6-9 months.

Tele-Meister
Email Gene Parsons himself for all the details.

I did in January. He can do the P-W Bender. He said they aren’t as good of a match as with a Tele and you can’t get a long stroke in a Les Paul.

I would contact Bill Bores. I have had him do 3 Parsons White style benders , one of them a hybrid double bender with a Glaser style G, and would like him to do a 4th one as soon as I can muster up the cash. I've seen him do a variety of specialty benders including a doubleneck. I know he could do a Les Paul. Also, he is very affordable in relation to some of the other bender guys with an incredible attention to detail. The Parsons benders he did for me with suede tex lined cavities looked like jewelry in a velvet case.

The websites related to Bill Bores are very dated and they aren’t very informative. Is he with Cypress Guitars?

Orders / Information

[email protected]
[email protected]

Phone 281-894-8121 Fax: 281-576-7713

Chet Johnson

Tele-Afflicted
The website is quite old. I forgot about that , I haven't looked at it in years. I contact him through Facebook. He has a few cool album galleries on there including a doubleneck with both necks actuated by the same strap button lever.

I did in January. He can do the P-W Bender. He said they aren’t as good of a match as with a Tele and you can’t get a long stroke in a Les Paul.

The websites related to Bill Bores are very dated and they aren’t very informative. Is he with Cypress Guitars?

Orders / Information

[email protected]
[email protected]

Phone 281-894-8121 Fax: 281-576-7713

Tele-Meister
I’ve moved off of using a GCS Les Paul and maybe using my old worn LPC for it instead. I had a nice conversation with Forrest about it. I’m giving it a hard look.

One thing that came up that I’d never thought of is the position of the LP’s three-way switch and the bender. It creates a minor issue.

a1anorth

TDPRI Member
I put a couple grommets that fit tight on the hipshot bar to hold it in place. But, I didn’t like the motion, so I bought a guitar with a P-W/Forest Lee bender.

I’m going with a Glaser Bender next, I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about them. I’d consider them for the LP as well, you may be able to get the long throw…

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
I ended up sending my old 73 Les Paul Custom to Gene Parsons for a StringBender. I think Gene did a really nice installation on it and I’m really happy so far. Next up this guitar is getting new medium jumbo frets and a new bridge.

Very Nice ! Congrats. Don't worry about those that say you ruined your guitar , you didn't. You increased the value in my eyes !

There's two camps of Bender people

1)those who can't wait to get one installed and get going on the journey , removing it never crossed their minds , its not even a remote consideration .

2)those that want one installed but are already thinking they may want to REMOVE IT one day.

Bender guitars are different instruments, those that decide to invest the time on the journey most likely will never return ! Picking up a guitar without a Bender leaves us with "something is missing " ! LOL

That LP looks great ! Enjoy !