1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Contemplating a Major Guitar Change

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EllenGtrGrl, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Have you considered a Jazzmaster? It does rock, country, and jazz (what? It does Jazz???). I know it’s not a Tele and I’m biased towards them, but they cover a lot of ground. An American Original would set you back 2 grand. Or go Vintera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAT65 likes this.
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The title brought Gmaj7 to Cmaj7 to mind.

A nocaster sounds safe to me.

StevesBoogie and FenderLover like this.
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Make a day of it and head to Dave's Guitars for a broad inventory.

I hope you let us know how this search came out.

4. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

Take a look at the sweetwater special telecaster professional.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

You could also buy a fat neck for your Vintera...

6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I'm in WI too and my daughter is still trying to get unemployment $$. It's a real quagmire.

7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

you should get a CS Nocaster and sell your other guitars and be done with it. It's obviously what you want. Get a butterscotch one, I think they seem to do a better job on those. If you can find an older one with a nice 1 piece body for less than a new one, so much the better.

hemingway likes this.
  8. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Wow! I was wondering where it went to. Ron at Cream City does all of the refrets and setups on my guitars. He does a great job.

60s Bajas are great guitars, and I had no problems with the non-baseball bat neck of the Baja, due to its substantial shoulder. It was just a case of having a chance to get my hands on a rather expensive ES-335 style guitar (a Heritage H-535), with a substantial neck on it. Due to its cost, the 60s Baja was a part of the trade to pull off the deal with buying the guitar. I kind regretted getting rid of the Baja, but I have a soft spot for Gibson-type semi-hollows, due to playing them for almost 20 years (even when I was active in the rock band scene). Well, the Heritage is a nice guitar, but it looks like I've come to prefer Teles in recent years.

I live only 5 miles from Cream City Music (it can be kind of toxic to my finances :D), so I paid them a visit (they reopened a week and a half ago) on Friday. They had no Nocasters in stock, but I did take a quick look at Fender Britt Daniels Tele Thinline. I wasn't sure about its neck, and due to my nickel allergy, didn't feel like putting on a set of nitrile gloves tor try it out. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Cream City Music on Friday nichgt just to see if they were able to get their hands on a Nocaster Thinline, since they are a Fender Custom Shop dealer. I was told that the Nocaster Thinlines were discontinued, and Cream City would have to check and see if Fender had any leftovers. I was informed about the Britt Daniels they had (that I had briefly looked at), so with nothing better to do, I did some ONline looking into the Britt Daniels Thinline. In my original visual appraisal of the Britt Daniels, I assumed that it had the typical Fender Modern C neck (which I can't stand), but online research informed me that the neck profile was the so-called Deep C that the American Professionals have. Further research, garnered information that many players thing the Deep C is just a Modern C with more substantial shoulders, making it more of a U-profile than a C-profile. That's shades of my old 60s Bajas, which I had no problem with playing-wise (I actually found the 60s Baja necks to be pretty comfy).

Combined with a couple of good reviews (especially the one by Guitar Player Magazine) of the the Fender Britt Daniels Thinline, that I read, I decided to head back to Cream City Music to take the Britt Daniels for a spin late yesterday afternoon. Wearing my nitrile gloves I have to keep the nickel strings from causing my dermatitis to rear its ugly head, I took the Britt Daniels Tele Thinline for a spin through a Marshall DSL40. The neck was fine. Thanks to its much more substantial (IMO) shoulder than a Modern C profile neck hasd, and was very much shades of my old 60s Baja necks. It was pretty comfortable - none of that cramped feeling I get with a Fender Modern C neck. The old school-style, 6 individually adjustable saddles bridge (they look a lot like the bridges on the 90s MIM Teles), were fine by me (it's not the end of the world to me if a Tele doesn't have a 3-barrel bridge). The custom shop pickups sounded great through the Marshall.

In short, I could see having a Britt Daniels Thinline. I was given a deal that is oh so tempting. I still plan to thin down the guitar herd, so I'm taking my 50s Vintera Tele (sorry, I don't want to have 2 Teles at the same time), my Heritage H-535, and my Eastman E2OM-CD OM-style acoustic guitar with me (I have a Taylor 12-string acoustic I use in the church band I'm in, and the Waterloo/Collings WL-12 MH I also have that I oprefer over the Eastman - OMs just don't seem to be my thing). to see how much trade-in value I can get for them. If I'm satisfied with the deal, I will buy the Britt Daniels.

9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Build an Esquire- buy a 339 on sale- and put the rest into the amp of your life!

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Replace the neck on your Vintera Tele with a Warmoth '59 carve. Go 'in stock' with stainless steel fret wire...in-stock saves a bunch of $$$ and stainless is a paltry $20 upcharge.

Then sell the Fender neck to recoup most/all the cost of the Warmoth.

This does several really good things for you:

- You already like the sound of the Vintera
    - It preserves the option of that neck pickup tone for those jazz impulses
    - It gives you a bigger hand-filling neck
    - You'll never have to replace the frets
    - It allows you to bank all of your windfall cash

Cheers and be well!

11. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

My dad is allergic to nickel- it’s an awful allergy!

12. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes indeed... Britt Daniel Thinline. I buy my Fender bodies and necks in separate pieces these days and prefer the bodies without pickups or electronics... so I can build up the guitar to suit my preferences. Not long ago I bought a Britt Daniel body from Stratosphere and a Fender American Professional Special Edition neck with ebony fretboard and black-painted head stock.

[​IMG]

Assembled with my choice of pickups (Cavalier Lioness neck pickup and Fender CS Nocaster bridge pickup) and electronics. And, voila...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exceptionally nice guitar! Ash body, light weight, good balance, great neck, great tone. And, good looks. The Amarillo Gold lacquer finish is beautiful.

I think you'll be pleased with the Britt Daniel Thinline. And, if you want to build one up to your specific preferences, I see that Stratosphere still has a few of them in parts to choose from, and plenty of various necks to choose from.

13. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender 70th anniversary Broadcaster?

14. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Thanks! I did the deal this afternoon. The Britt is still at the shop awaiting a refret job (due my nickel allergy, I need to have all of my guitars refretted with Jescar EVO Gold hypoallergenic fretwire).

DHart likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Congrats on doing the deal! Looking forward to seeing your new Tele Thinline!

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I wonder about the usefulness of asking us idiots to chime in on this when so many of the replies are miles from what the OP was thinking about.

fenderchamp likes this.
  17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm sorta in the camp now that says spending high $ on electric guitars is pointless from a playing and music making perspective. I used to really want a fancy expensive guitar, but the cheap ones and the fancy ones that I own / have owned aren't really that much different from one another once you get them setup right.

It sounds like: You are happy with the guitars you have (you don't express any dissatisfaction about them), you aren't looking to expand your sound or functionality ie with a Bigsby, Bender, Variax, 12 string, whatever. You aren't in a band or looking to be in one, so image doesn't really come into play. So why spend 3k on a guitar? Why not spend 1k on an effects setup that will get you amazing sounds, or recording gear, or a piano, or....and then save or spend the rest on other stuff.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think if I was going to slim down to one electric guitar it would either be a CS Strat or a CS Thinline with a neck humbucker.

I debate this regularly. I usually end up with the same conclusion. I am not ready to limit myself. Hell, I keep one of my guitars just because it’s beautiful (although it plays extremely well).

Right now the most I would do is one each of a Strat, Tele and a humbucker guitar. I have an SG that I really like but would get an LP if I could find one with a thinner neck profile and decent neck.

19. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Well, I won't slim down to just 1 electric (I realized that just wouldn't cut it), but I did slim down to get my Britt Daniels, by trading my Heritage H535, my Vintera 50s, and an Eastman OM-sized acoustic that was collecting dust, towards it. I'll probably stay at 2 electrics, since I'm thinking of going back to a longtime favorite of mine - a Gretsch hollowbody (from 2008-2018, I was a total Gretsch nut, and I miss having one). Then things should stabilize for me guitar-wise. This is kind of a pain for me. For a long time, I had killer pro level gear, that I gigged with that I had for close to 10 years. Then I hit hard times in 2000 and 2001, and had to sell off my great gear, and have been in gear recovery mode since 2005 or so, and "view it as an opportunity to try new guitar gear." Well, that very long experiment is at an end. I realize that I still prefer hollowbodies, and semi-hollowbodies (hence the Britt Daniels Thinline) after all of these years, over solidbody guitars. Oh yeah, and make mine a single cutaway please (I try to like ES-335 style guitars, and they do nothing for me).

20. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Go for the Esquire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.