1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Considering this Blackguard

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by wibo, Sep 27, 2015.

1. wibo

wibo TDPRI Member

I've been keeping my eye open for an original Blackguard for a while. I studied Nachos book quite a bit. I played a few, but only for a little while. So I'm no expert. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. At least, that's what the Tower of Power says. :lol:

Yesterday I was at a guitar show and a dealer with whom I have dealt before has a '53 Blackguard for sale. He says it's all original, except for a route for a third pickup under the scratchplate. Serial is 20xx.

I am considering to pursue this one. Ofcourse I have to visit him, we have to take it apart, probably visit an expert (anyone know one in The Netherlands or Belgium?), but some first thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

Some blurry, badly lit iphone photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

looks great! pm'ed you.

3. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

Looks like some of the parts might be changed out, could be a good deal- Hard to tell from the blurry pics-

4. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

There's a few too many star head screws which should be slotted, and I hate to see a Tele strung up wrong. I'd like to see that wear pattern on the back of the body in reality, but this surely worth a look.

5. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks pretty good. Phillips screws were fairly standard for a '53. Has to be a refret.
    I'd want to see the routing done and play that guitar before making a decision to buy...

6. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Doesn't look bad. Don't forget to look under the pickguard if the nail holes are there.

7. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

I saw that guitar too in Veenendaal.
    I must admit that I didn't really look well enough. It was at the stand of someone I don't trust and who has a bad reputation. I don't know if he was the owner of the guitar because he was sharing the stand with someone else I think. But he tried to sell me a Blackguard a few years ago for 5000,- Euros telling me it was all original.... Ha ha, he lived up to his reputation there.....

I thought it was pretty heavy and it didn't feel resonant. Did you play it? Did you like it? I wish I had looked better....

8. boney

boney Tele-Meister

53 with walnut plug?

9. wibo

wibo TDPRI Member

I will never trust a private seller or dealer on a show for a guitar of this vintage. I won't even trust most shops, unless it has a very good reputation for vintage stuff. I don't know any shop in the Netherlands or Belgium whom I would trust for a Blackguard appraisal. Or whose appraisal would be worth something internationally. Just ask them 'Who is Nacho', and if they don't know who that is, you're done. If you know anybody let me know, but I have more trust in the people here at TDPRI. I played a couple of Blackguards in Germany and the USA, in both those countries there are people with a reputation to lose. And whose written appraisal carries some weight.

The weight of the guitar itself was heavier than I expected. I played it for a few minutes acoustically, mainly to feel the neck. Very close to a refret, but playable. Original frets according to the seller. It was pretty resonant in my opinion, but that is hard to tell on a guitarshow.

To be continued....

10. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

You're right that it is very hard to tell how resonant it is at a noisy guitarshow. And I really didn't hold on to it long enough.
    Yes, in Holland it is hard to find someone who knows enough about these guitars. However I do know someone whose opinion I would trust. He has owned loads of 50s teles and has even sold a few to Nacho. But I don't know if he would be interested in checking it out. Normally he goes to this show but I didn't see him this time.

11. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

slot head screws were phased out by '53. even '52's have a mixture of both.

as there is a rout under the pick guard, it is very likely that the pick guard and the pick guard screws are not original. the finish and the wear looks good on the pictures, I would check for oversprays with a backlight, especially if the additional rout was repaired in some way. frets are easy enough to check if they are original or not, but I would not even bother on a guitar that has a rout and the frets are barely playable as it isn't an investment grade instruments anymore. it's good in a way. it's a guitar to take out and play...

12. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Like another poster mentioned, a lot of the hardware looks replaced (in fact almost all hardware except perhaps the neck pickup). The knobs and saddles are certainly replacements. To me the finish (especially at the back) should be more opaque but I may have been wrong about this on an earlier occasion when I made a similar observation on another blackguard Tele that was discussed here before. Original wood but with a additional route, refretted, refinished and all hardware replaced I guess the guitar may still fetch 4k on a good day

13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Absolutely. And most of the hardware looks right. Saddles look newer in one shot. The knobs may or may not be original. Rest looks pretty good.

14. wibo

wibo TDPRI Member

Thanks Robert and the others,

that's exactly what I was thinking seeing the guitar in person: knobs and saddles. The photo of the bridge is very blurry unfortunately. Overspray might be an item also.

To be continued...

15. slimdave

slimdave TDPRI Member

4k for a refinished 53 teke with changed parts? :eek:
    Let me know where I can get one. I'm serious.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Neck/body joint looks off in the 2nd to last pic.

17. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

I really don't get why people who don't seem to be very knowledgeable about vintage guitars scream FAKE FAKE FAKE with very vague or plain wrong claims whenever a vintage tele is being posted on a forum...

18. Henkan

Henkan TDPRI Member

+1, if someone knows where you can get a 53 blackguard with some changed HW for 4 k point me in that direction.

19. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

What makes a Tele "resonant"?

20. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Mojo oil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.