Considering part exchanging a Mesa Boogie f-50 for a Vox AC15C1

Gogogoch

Tele-Meister
I’ve had the Mesa f-50 for 20 years and it’s in great shape as I had a flight case custom built for it (and I look after my gear) but I never get it past 3 on the volume and now my band is starting to mic the amps in order to have them through the monitors on stage, so 50 watts is surplus to requirements volume-wise.

I realise that these two amps will sound different, but I know nothing technically about amps and components, so I’d like to know whether in terms of quality of the actual amp whether part exchanging or selling the Mesa in order to get a Vox AC15C1 or C1X is a good idea or not.

Any help or advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
AC15C1 is a very different sounding amp from a Mesa; fuzzy and wooly compared to the tight compression you're probably used to. You'll be changing your tone quite a bit. They are very reliable though; I've had mine for 8 years or so and no issues whatsoever. AC15 is also finicky when it comes to pedals, so if you've got a pedalboard you may find some of them sounding wonky through the Vox. I'd try before I buy if I were you.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I've owned and gigged both these amps. f you primarily play clean you will get a great quasi clean slightly glassy breakup out of the Vox. It is a loud, loud amp if you use the topboost. With drums - with gain on 6 you'll be lucky to get past 3-4 on the master.

The F50 does a great Fender Twin style clean with massive reverb. It adds a very good distortion channel. The first Mesa IMO to really get both bang on.

If you are going to need distortion pedals, it's easier to make it work through the normal channel. In that case the Greenback is probably preferred. If you want classic pedal free rock tones topboost through the Blue is the ducks nuts. It's magic on a stick.

The cathode follower in the EQ recovery makes this amp the beautiful touch sensitive mistress it is. The tremolo is nice, so's the reverb even if chip driven.