Considering ordering a tele from the custom shop, any tips?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by chubbsdarcy, Oct 16, 2016.

1. chubbsdarcy

chubbsdarcy Tele-Meister

Hi folks, how are ya?

I've been thinking long and hard about having Fender's custom shop build me a guitar. This would be my first time commissioning them to build me one and I was wondering if you folks might have any tips or guidance to offer me, for example who would you recommend as being a great showcase dealer to place my order with, etc.

I am confident about what I want my custom guitar to be, I've envisioned it in my mind for sometime. i see my custom guitar being in the vein of the FMT tele style guitar, dare I say a cross between a tele and a LP? Already owning a couple of pure telecasters, I am intrigued by the idea of a Fender meets Gibson type of guitar.

I love the tone of a Les Paul however I much prefer the feel of a telecaster. There's just something about the angle at which the neck meets the body, a tunamatic bridge's height above the body, as well as the way that the nature of a Gibson's headstock and the location of the tuners and how they affect the angle at which the strings pass through the nut thus tending to have negative effects on tuning stability which make me leery about playing Les Paul guitars. The look and tone are like nothing else yet the items I just mentioned as well as the shorter scale and feel send me reaching for a tele every time.

To conclude, I envision my guitar as being the Fender custom shop's version of a Fender FMT tele made with top notch woods and components throughout. Once again folks, any tips, opinions, comments, or guidance you may offer would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Tdel10

Tdel10 Tele-Meister

chubbsdarcy likes this.
  3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

My tip is find a good dealer, place the order, and let us know how it goes!

4. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I don't know of the top of my head who at FCS does well with set neck types. I think maybe give them a call or look through the Master builder bio's and see.

RE: Who would be the dealer - Not sure. If you are going to spring for a masterbuilt/custom build I would see who is close and has good service.

5. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I ordered a Stratocaster from the Custom Shop years ago. It's drop dead gorgeous.... but it's important to remember the little things. My fingerboard has a Tree of Life inlay (my wife did most of the design ideas).... so the neck "edge" dots are really important....but they made them out of abalone like the neck inlay...and they are absolutely invisible on stage...so I have little tape dots on the edge of my neck.... doh. It's the little things.
    Strat 03.jpg

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. My suggestion is to as specific as you can about every minute detail. Neck size, pickup tonality, etc.....

7. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

Man that it is a gorgeous strat!
    It's on my bucket list to order a CS guitar. But I concur with the above posters, be specific! This is your chance to make this your personal guitar.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My tip is that there are tons of very inexpensive used guitars that play and sound (AND look) just fantastic, and to "build new" is from a certain perspective kinda silly

Seriously just how many guitars does this world need?

or think of it this way

How many guitars can the resources of this world bear?

And if you are looking for some unique hybrid, you can bet it's been done, and is acquirable on the used market

I personally am doing my part to keep the world from choking on cool used guitars :cool:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  9. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/hybrids/[/QUOTE]

Guess I'd be down with this. If I had the ability, cash wise, for a CS Tele I'd go with this one. You'd be way ahead of the quality cut here I'm thinkin'.

10. Falconbill

Falconbill Tele-Meister

Lots of decisions to make on a custom order. #1, like one of the other guys said, find a good custom shop dealer to assist. You can basically specify everything from wood to hardware, but for me it would start with getting the right neck. Here's a video from the Fender custom shop that might be helpful:

There's a whole bunch of youtube videos like this from the custom shop you should check out.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.