1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Considering losing pedalboard

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fireball519, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Hey does anybody ever gig with just guitar and amp? No effects-just reverb in the amp(a la Gatton/Buchanan). I'm considering losing the pedalboard in favor of a small tube amp and just my guitar. I can get reverb, a little natural drive and natural compression out of a small tube amp. Thoughts/advice?

bingy and 24 track like this.
  2. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah, you don't need what you don't need. I love playing straight in. It teaches you to exploit the full range of tones you can get just using your volume and tone knobs. Give it a whirl!

24 track, Chicago Matt and tominwa like this.
  3. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

I can get rid of my pedalboard and get maybe a blues jr or an ac15. I'm really thinking maybe those boxes may be crutches to me lol

24 track likes this.
  4. jonhart

jonhart Tele-Meister

It's a great way to gig if that's all you need. I generally need at least an OD or boost since my amp stays fairly clean. What I'm playing dictates whether I bring the board or not.

24 track and Chicago Matt like this.
  5. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

That's why I want to get a small tube amp like a blues jr...possibly ac15

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

That's what I do, though my Marshall Mini Jubilee effectively has a distortion pedal built in I suppose. We rehearsed a pretty varied set a few nights ago and I used my Blues Junior and my other Classic 50s Tele...it covered everything from Brown Eyed Girl to Sweet Child of Mine and some punk in between.

However, I suspect it might be easier with a single pedal for dirty tones, just to help with level matching when we play this set live as I won't have time to fiddle with amp settings between songs.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  7. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Well on my main guitar I have eng pickups and they're fixing to get the boost switch...the booster has a trim pot to adjust gain. I figure with that ill be ok

8. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

It just depends on what your band is playing and what your role is within the band.
    I love going straight in to play blues for example, possibly with a boost or light drive, but not necessarily.
    For most of what I do in the bands I play in and for session work, straight in simply won't cut it (the "exception" being with session work where people tend to want both wet and dry tracks, but then I'm splitting the dry signal before it ever gets to an actual amp, so not really the same).
    There's no right way or wrong way to do it if it's working for you. You might discover that you indeed only need to go from guitar to amp to do your thing, or you might discover that you still want a few things on the floor. I will say that the best way to find out is to do what you're considering and strip it down to the absolute basic level. Good luck!

24 track likes this.
  9. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

If youre going for a small tube amp, id recomend a laney cub head. 1w or 15w settings are very handy and the reverb is very useable..
    No pedals is a great idea, very liberating. I'm down to just a tuner, clean boost and drive on my board and couldnt be happier. Oh and a wah pedal, cos you need to get down and skank every now and then.

24 track likes this.
  10. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Buddy of mine just bought an AC15 and brought it over...it is a killer little combo!

The cleans are great (not alot of headroom) but the drive sounds is where it truly shined for me.

The blues junior on the other hand I have always thought wasn't very flexible, but it is loud for what it is. Now the bassbreaker 40 combo I tried out was absolutely sweet!

I say go with the AC15. I think it would off you much more versatility.

RetroTeleRod, 24 track and karpis like this.
  11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I tried a blues junior recently beautiful clean tone and now I want one :rolleyes:, I haven't tried a vox so I can't comment on that

If you have a favourite dirt pedal then maybe that and an amp set clean it's a big step down from a pedal board but still, offers a little flexibility outside your amp. There's nothing wrong with riding the volume knob though, I love the drive out of my orange and the clean is good too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    24 track likes this.
  12. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I was apprehensive until I heard Roy's version of Lonesome Fugitive. I then saw how a slightly driven amp can indeed work for country. I'm not a guy after someone else's tone but it made me think maybe I don't need all that stuff to sound good and to sound like genuine me. Any more comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys!

24 track likes this.
  13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I would never (want to) play without a tuner pedal, a dirt pedal (or two), a delay (or two), and a tremolo... that's just my thoughts.
    Can you sound good straight into an amp?
    Yes.
    Could it get old (to me?)
    Yes...

DaveKS, tonytrout and 24 track like this.
  14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Hell yes. One trip in and out of the gig, great way to fly.

24 track, Chicago Matt and BuckSatan like this.
  15. telecastertodd

telecastertodd Tele-Meister

I swear the best sound I've ever had recently was a Les Paul jr. plugged into a Peavy classic 50 cranked to 12 (yes 12!).

Then it was all about the volume tone knob .

Might have been cheating with the head stock tuner though.

16. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

The only thing that I see myself missing is the chorus pedal for the 80s country strat tone but hey. So I may be getting rid of the board after all to get a small tube amp

17. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

I'm happy with no drive pedals, but i'd miss wah, delay, tremolo.

tonytrout, 24 track and Chicago Matt like this.
  18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you want to play Roy's or Danny's music or if your music doesn't require effects sure you can.

I can't even THINK about a "no pedals" approach cause MY music would sound lame without them.

24 track likes this.
  19. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

If i wanted to go "pedal less", i would get two small combos and run one cleanish and one dirty and set them up so the standard is playing with volume on guitar slightly down.
    Then a switcher wich could do A+B and A or B. Thats a really nice setup for both wet/dry and clean/dirt.

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I said favourite dirt pedal before but it could just be any single pedal, I just assumed dirt because that's what I like ;)

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.