1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

considering a used 2005 CIJ TL55 with pickup change--

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Krackle, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Considering going to look at and buy a CIJ TL-55 . pickups have been swapped to Duncan little '59 in the bridge and a Duncan Stack Telecaster in the neck.

I think i can get it for 900..

Opinions on these guitars?
    Haven't been able to find out what the body's made of..the model names on these confuse me.

Anyhow..I generally love Japanese made guitars..have a minor collection of 70's and early 80's Ibanez..always nicely built.

Thoughts? and thanks.

Danb541 and xtelesquirex like this.
  2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I'll presume - because we know what happens when one assumes - that it's based on a '55 Tele. I could be, and likely am, wrong about that though. Those nomenclatures confuse me too. I've never heard a bad word about Fender Japan, but I've not played many either.

There is an old thread discussing a similar guitar that suggests the body is either Basswood or a Japanese variety of Ash:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/1995-1996-fender-telecaster-mij.139662/

3. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Yes, I blieeve it is based on a '55..

Some of those Japanese model names, or CIJ, have another set of numbers..I've seen it associated with the '55' thing, too.

No experience with these pickups either..I think the originals were Texas specials..at least in the bridge position.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If it plays well and sound's good ....

Why not ???

xtelesquirex likes this.
  5. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

"Why Not??"

I said that to my Wife and she whipped a cabbage at my head and then kneecapped me with a broomhandle...you wanna come over?

6. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Well..bought this CIJ TL-55 Tele..Thing is very, very sweet..i caught it on a day when the seller dropped the price to 850..it's a very sweet guitar..plays beautifully..looks great too..

I opened up the pot chamber this morning and noticed that the pots were CTS...and that there was a 1meg pot on the Volume..i don't think that's a standard number for a Tele..?

couldn't tell what the Tone pot specs were, were soldered over..

Somebody lined the control cavity with Copper..except a small area at the very end away from the conduit..under tone knob

This thing runs nicely..makes my Mexican Tele 60's celebration reissue feel like a toy-i have to say--tho, i have enjoyed the Mexican guitar over a few years..was my first Telecaster. Im gonna sell it at this point..the CIJ blows it away exponentially and i don't need two.

7. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Some pics of the control plate guts--Fender Japan 2004-5 CIJ, TL-55

...Trying to know if the wiring looks standard-ish..or what's going on.
    Im pretty sure the pots were upgraded at some point, maybe when the pickups were changed --Duncan Fat Stack in the Neck---Little 59 in the bridge- They sound good but the Fat Stack in Neck position might be a bit to mushy)

The previous owner had the Pickups set up way very low..sounded good actually..I've been playing with height...not sure where I'll end up

You never know what folks do wiring-wise..comments/observations as to what's what, appreciated..I don't know much about this stuff

Also, was there any reason to not line the whole cavity with the copper tape? or did they just run out of tape?

And, what kind of Capacitor is that?

I think I like the Little 59 in the bridge..

Bridge 2.jpg control 3 .jpg control close up.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  8. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

Cap looks like polyester film.

I don't have one in a Tele right now, but I like the L'il 59 in some guitars.

9. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

I like the little 59..still thinking about the Duncan Stack in the neck

another question..what about the 1meg pot on the volume on this guitar??

would a previous owner have done this because of the Little 59 being a humbucker in the bridge?

I guess I should check the cap value?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.