Considering A Tone Master Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Knightrich, Sep 23, 2021.

“Upgrade to Tone Master or keep 68 PRRI?

Poll closed Monday at 8:48 AM.
  1. Super Reverb Tone Master

53.1%
  2. 68 PRRI

46.9%
  1. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

Well now I’m curious. I primarily play at home and church and use a 68 Custom PRRI. I love the amp, it is super responsive, and I trust that the amp will work with regular maintenance years from now. But, power scaling on the Tone Master line is really cool. I got to play through the Super Reverb Tone Master locally at a store and was impressed. I’m not sure it felt as warm and responsive as the Princeton but then again I was in a store, different guitar, setting, etc. The overdriven tone was amazing and it was also something shiny and new that weighed so much less than the real thing.

Now if they made a Bassman Tone Master, I’d buy immediately. In the interim though, I’m considering selling the PRRI and picking up the Tone Master. anyone else made the switch?

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Super all the way!

More tonal options! I have the twin and would love a super when funds allow

The Princeton is nice but too bassy for me

I LOVE the tone master series

Yes yes yes they don’t sound exactly like a tube amp but it’s close enough for me and probably anyone that is listening

3. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Why not do both?

bromdenlong, Jakedog, Sax-son and 2 others like this.
  4. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

I’d love to! Funds only allow for one right now though. Just blew my budget on a Silver Sky.

Tim S, Blue Bill and Jakedog like this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I haven't tried the Super Reverb Tonemaster.. just the Deluxe.

I bought a PRRI, no contest.

The key thing is to go try the Tonemaster. See if there's a setting on the attenuator that actually allows you to "crank it" and have it at a reasonable volume for the room/setting you want to use it.

I found testing the DRRI and the Deluxe Tone master side by side that the attenuator on the Deluxe didn't seem to have the right volume settings for me to want to use it. Because it's notched the attenuation setting I would have been happy with wasn't available. 0.2w was too quiet and 0.5w was too loud and neither sounded great. It's not that any of that was bad but the whole thing was for nothing when the same result can be had just turning the amp down on full power and using a pedal.

In order for an attenuator with fixed settings to work the amp needs to be cable of dialed in at a volume level that works with the attenuator setting and the room you're in. Because these amps don't also have a master volume I couldn't find the sweet spot.

I have this same problem with my Orange Rocker 15. It has 0.5w and 1w settings. They work great on the dirty channel in combination with the master volume on that channel. On the clean channel which has no MV it's still too easy to not be able to get an appropriate volume even on the 0.5w setting. You still have to crank the volume on 0.5w on that clean channel to get it to go into power tube breakup, and that's still very loud.

If I can't crank the volume up on the bigger amps give me the Princeton any day, I just prefer the Princeton turned up to the bigger amps turned down. (Mine is a 1x12" Princeton though)

Otherwise.. these amps all sound great with a huge variety of overdrives, so low volume without attenuation can work fine if you just find a drive pedal you're happy with.

nojazzhere, Knightrich and Boreas like this.
  6. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

If you foresee yourself playing a lot of unmic’ed gigs get the super, but if not, stay with the PR.

Knightrich likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

"I’d love to! Funds only allow for one right now though. Just blew my budget on a Silver Sky."

Yeah - tell me about it. I have the Princeton silverface reissue and an considering the same move but to a TMDR. Problem is, we aren't likely to get much on a trade and selling an amp online for me isn't likely due to shipping. However, I could try selling it on commission and if it sells, NAD!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Knightrich likes this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

With what I said before I should admit I'm not sure I'd think the same thing if I had a 68 Custom PRRI.

I like my 65 Blackface w/12" a lot more than I liked the 68, even though the 68 probably would have been easier to get to break up where I can use it.

All the Tonemasters have way less hum than the 68 PRRI if Hum is something you get concerned about. (But so does the DRRI and the 65 PRRI)

Also just talking about DRRI vs Tonemaster DR since that's what I tried. With the settings on the Tonemaster set to full power I highly doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test if I just had an A:B switcher pedal going into the two amps and the Tonemaster badge was covered up. Maybe they respond to pedals different and maybe the knobs don't match up when you adjust them and maybe at gig volume they can be more easily differentiated but they sounded incredibly similar. If I had actually really wanted a DRRI I might have gotten the Tone master.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    nojazzhere and Knightrich like this.
  9. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

Which Princeton did you buy? I had also considered the Sweetwater exclusive tweed combo with the upgraded speaker. Seems to get a ton of great reviews.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I got the GC 1x12" with the Celestion Greenback, not the Sweetwater 1x12" with the Cannabis Rex.

It mostly came down to:

a) I could try them at GC
    b) Easier to work deals at GC

I loved both the PRRI w/Jensen P12q and the PRRI with the Celestion G12-65.

I would probably love the Cannabis Rex one as well, sounds like that's the darkest one though. I have one guitar that's super bright and one that's dark, I think any of them would have been totally fine and it'd just be a question of where the EQ on the amp got set.

All the 12" ones have an upgraded pine cabinet versus the regular 10" ones.

11. randym

randym Tele-Meister

I have the 68 Custom Princeton, and could afford to get the Tonemaster SR (traded a couple things to bring down the out of pocket). I enjoy both.

12. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

The 68 PRRI does have some hum to it, ESPECIALLY when I use the reverb. It increases as I turn up the dial.

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah I tried the 68 PRRI before buying my 65 and the Hum in the 68 was a little disappointing.

They supposedly got the 68 to break up easier by messing with the negative feedback, but there are certainly lots of other ways. My Orange Rocker 15 is slightly noisier than my 65 PRRI, but the Orange is still quieter than the 68 while being quite a bit gainier.

14. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

I've always loved the 68 DRRI....it was my dream amp...would always play it in the store but could never afford it.
    I went in the other day and A/B'ed the TM and the DRRI, and I actually liked hte TM more. Found a used one and it's being dleivered tomorrow.

That being said, the Super Reverb was the BEST sounding TM they had. Was a little too pricey. If I see a used one within 45 day's I'd probably grab it and return the TMDR.
    I also liked the twin, but that thing is LOUD!!!

The reverb on the TMDR is cavernous...even at low volumes. EXCELLENT for surf (whcih I do play), but will take some getting used to with other genres.
    The super is by far the best amp they make in the TM line. 45 simluated watts is better with the 4 tens....far preferable than the 100 watts and 2 12's of the twin.

they all sounded great...had to go down to 0.1 watts to get overdrive, though....we'll see how they take pedals when it arrives.

Mike M and Knightrich like this.
  15. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

Let us know how it sounds! I realize now the Super has the P10Rs in it like the tube version as well. I’m really hoping they make a Bassman.

horax likes this.
  16. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

Well I’ve got the PRRI listed for sale and as soon as it does I’ll jump on the Tone Master bandwagon.

teletail likes this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I can't speak to the TMSR, but I've been gigging the TMDR for 10 months and couldn't be happier. As good as my TMDR sounds (and it does clean wonderfully, which is where I live 95% of the time), I suspect the Super Reverb TM would be all that much better.

18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ive been trying really hard not to buy a TMSR! I've always wanted a SR but it just hasn't been practical so I talk myself out of it but the TM looks really temping for a lot of reasons, weight, volume, line out, etc...

StevesBoogie likes this.
  19. Knightrich

Knightrich TDPRI Member

Yes it is a tough call. There’s a ‘66 Super Reverb near me listed for $1,800 but I would never be able to really crank it like I would want. I know it would be an investment and last forever but I wouldn’t be able to really utilize it for what it is.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  20. randym

randym Tele-Meister

My reasoning exactly for my TMSR purchase.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.