1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Considering a solid state amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GK34, Aug 10, 2020.

1. macnylonguitar

macnylonguitar TDPRI Member

Been playing for over 40 years, studied in college. Tried and owned dozens of amps. I recently got the bug to go back to tube amps. Played Fender Vibrolux, etc back in the 80's, blues, jazz, fusion, rock. So I got a Fender HRD III a month or so ago. Preamp tube went in a few days, put in a new one. Loud as heck, too loud, even on 3, as you all may be aware.

Sold it, too much hassle, and too heavy.

Got a Fender Deluxe Tone Master. Absolutely love it. No way anyone blindfolded can tell this is not a tube version of a Fender Deluxe. Big, fat, clean, warm Fender tone, that only Fender can do.

Playing jazz, and fingerstyle nylon jazz thru it. Best clean amp ever.

Quilter...Had a Quilter TB 201 for a few years. Clean, but a total mud fest, cannot un-muddy it ever. Recorded that thing sounded horrible, sold it. It will never ever be a Fender, no matter the knob settings or speaker...

D_Malone likes this.
  2. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

My original post was for a different thread, but it actually kind of worked in this one too. LOL.
    Anyway, now that I see want you want...OUTDOOR HEADROOM...my suggestion would be the Yamaha G100ii 2x12 (the Paul Rivera amp). That thing has loud, very loud headroom for days. You will have no problem getting heard. The post EQ is actually very useful in dialing in the exact sound you want for whatever environment you're playing in. Just be prepared for the weight, it's a heavy beast. But if you want headroom, and outdoor muscle in a solid state combo, that's the one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    PhredE and czech-one-2 like this.
  3. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

No sound better than that Peavey Classic 30, so crank it through a soundboard or whatever. But no solid state will compare.

4. shawnoh4

shawnoh4 TDPRI Member

HRD has been a long time standard for gigging guitarists. The Vox vtx series are good, and light, do clean to metal, but i don't know what the overhead scene would be. I'd like to suggest you try something different, a marshall DSL40C, used, not the CR. It may have what you are looking for. https://reverb.com/item/34350868-marshall-dsl40c?

They are available used for $450. The newer CR version has 2 master volumes, which is great, but is loaded with V type speakers, not so great.

I have the 20, and I would never have believed how good it sounded until I tried one. The sound of the words "Marshall Clean" was always a joke to me, a serious laughable joke. Then I tried one of these at a store. It freaked me out. I typically use the clean channel with pedals for dirt, and you could go stereo, with the marshall on the right, and whatever else you have on the left. Also, with the 20, the closed cab sounds better to me than using it with a 212 Vertical cab, the vertical sounded like **** even though it has the same model speakers (supposedly) so the internal speaker is great. It's a 70-80 speaker, and in youtube videos I always thought they sounded like **** compared to V30s or jensens, but the one they put in these amps sounds better. I've compared it to a closed back V30 cab and others, and it's just great. I believe they are using a special version 70-80 for these amps, but it's undocumented. Just give it a try if you can, it's worth a trip to your nearest retailer. You'll be surprised. My fender amp sounds like a dog compared to it, but together in stereo they are an awesome team. Have fun lugging around your new rig! Put moderate modulation trem/flange on the left. You'll barely hear it, but when you A/B it you'll really notice the space. Hope you're okay.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. TPWastewater

TPWastewater TDPRI Member

I have a 90’s era Classic 30 with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Like it quite a bit but my Boss Katana 100 goes to 80% of the gigs. I have seen some guitarists who try out waaaaay more equipment than I will in a lifetime, dig the Kantana and those new Fender GTX100 amps.

6. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

I tried the gtx100 at GC when they came out 2x and was ready to buy but didnt. I will wait on the next iteration of these and hope they sound better.

7. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

A BIG +1!
    That's the amp I'm gigging with. I liked it so much that I bought a G50II 1x12 as well, but still prefer the 2x12 100w. Its almost Twin reverb heavy, but the tone is so good that its worth it for me to haul it onstage. [Mostly outdoor gigs]. Its just a killer pure Fender clean tone that has unlimited clean headroom + a GREAT long spring accutronics reverb that sounds on par with a Fender Twin. I wish I was a carpenter cause I would build a pine Twin Reverb size 2x12 combo cabinet for it, as I'd say 70 percent of the amps weight is in whatever they made those cabinets out of.
    They Also made a G100II head, so I may look for one of those some day....or not.

Telecastoff1 and PhredE like this.
  8. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates TDPRI Member

I have had some very nice Yamaha SS amps from the 80's and of course a few Rolands (JC120). But currently I have a Jay Turser 25 watt SS amp with a vintage Celestion Greenback to write with at home volumes. I think it sounds absolutely fine and would play it live anywhere that a low volume amp was needed. I bought it on tour ... driving thru Hollywood I saw it in a window and loved the look. Who knew it would actually sound ok as well.
    jay-turser-amp.jpg
    (just a pic from Reverb - my amp is in storage right now)

9. Cpt.Blues

Cpt.Blues TDPRI Member

Check out Blackstar's Silverline series. Great sounding amps that also look great as well.

I ordered the 100 watt 1 x 12" but the company I bought it from messed up and sent me the 2 x 12" Stereo combo. Since I've received it, (about 3 months now), it has been the main amp I've been playing through. My Deluxe Reverb and Reverend Goblin haven't been getting as much play time. The modeling of these is superb.

10. bdrhythm

bdrhythm TDPRI Member

Just bought a Quilter Micropro Mach 2 head a couple of years ago. I bought it mainly because it weighs 7 lbs! I had a separate cab made for it by Mojo Tone (can't say enough about what a great job they did). It's a one 12" pine cab with a Celestion BN12-300s bass speaker. That cab weighs about 20 lbs. I bought this because of traveling a lot and needing something that was quick and easy and light and reliable. The amp always sounds the same and I don't have to worry about tubes and the fragility of a tube amp. Still does not compare to my modded Vibrolux Reverb, but for what it is, it really pumps out the sound. It's a very versatile amp. Only issue I hear is a slight artifact coming from the reverb section--they swear it's nothing (Quilter), but it is. I have great ears and I hear everything--especially when recording in the studio. It's very, very subtle and does not interfere with recording. It's also something you'd never hear in a live performance setting. Great bang for the buck. Quilter amp.png

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We should point out that that is the speaker Quilter uses in their HD (heavy duty) combo and cabinet, so it's got to be a good match!

12. KentBernard

KentBernard NEW MEMBER!

BOSS Nextone Artist 80w. The best kept secret in SS amps at any price.

The Nextone simulates four analog amp configurations (6V6, 6L6, EL84, and EL34). Where else can you buy four analog amps in one box? Where else can you control bias sagg and tweak the tone stack? Where can you have your clean channel can be a analog Fender Twin while your lead channel is a analog Marshall. (Katana and others are digital simulators).

What many, including BOSS do not explain in reviews and ads, is that you actually four channels and can mix and match these amp between cle and lead channels. The third and fourth channels come under the custom button. You can control the tone stack, gain threshold, tube sag, and more.

The Nextone is more realistic and deep fuller than others. The reverb is nailed. For example, I use a Mesa lead for Santana play, and the distortion is organic. Touch sensitivity is there and will clean up whit soft attack or get dirty when played more aggressively. It will feedback like a tube amp. Perfect. No other pedals needed unless I really want to exaggerate the sustain in Europa.

The Nextone has just enough access to parameters to effectively tweak your tone. Not to much that you get confused or stuck playing with software instead of playing your guitar.

Just choose from the 20-25 factory presets, tweak if needed, and play. Never touch it again unless you really want or need to. No different than a tube amp that you are stuck with its one tone.

Tried Helix FRFR rig with reference speakers and keyboard amps. Owned BOSS Katana Artist which was nice with the Katana speaker and larger cab, but over kill with effects for me. The noise gate was too much. It is very loud.

Nextone Artist / Stage or Katana Artist are only way to play. The Blues Cube is top of the line but very expensive and not as much control over parameters as the Nextone. All are great with pedals and multi effects if you need them.

Anacharsis and Leonardocoate like this.
  13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I suggest looking into DV Mark offerings

14. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Ooooo I wanted the Blues Cube Artist but they were soooo pricy, even used, and that is how I found Quilter. I guess the Blues Cubes are very well liked. I imagine I will get one eventually.

j

CVS54 likes this.
  15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

You’ve piqued my interest in the Fender.

I’ve had the same struggle with my Quilter Mach 2 head for over 2 years now. Been through many different speakers and I’m constantly tweaking the controls in an attempt to get a lively sound out of it. I am strongly considering letting it go.

16. gilmourjunkie

gilmourjunkie TDPRI Member

I have the same amp. I just put in a more efficient speaker. That will give you the headroom you want and if you need even more swap out the tube in position 1 for something cleaner. I did both. Cheaper than a new amp. I put a Can. Rex in mine and it stays clean at loud volume at jazz gigs/practice. Hope that helps.

17. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Any pre-modeling American made Peavey solid state. Or a Roland JC-120 or JC-77. They sound great and are built like a brick s#@*house.

tabeck5 likes this.
  18. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Boss Nextone or Blues cube Hot...Any Roland amp with "Tube Logic" I was lucky to find a Roland 405 for $40....best $40 bucks spent ever....maybe for outside gigs all you need to do is add an extension cabinet

Anacharsis likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Try plugging it into a 2x12 cabinet. That little thing is a beast!

Leonardocoate and 1996Standard like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.