1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Considering a solid state amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GK34, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

A soundengineer annex bar owner turned me on to the Fender Princeton Chorus. Which to me sounded great and took pedals very well. For years I ran it in a stereo setup together with a Fender Vibrolux tube amp. Together with dirtboxes for dirt, that combined sound was my sound. Until I moved away to a full SS rig with an AMT-F1 pre-amp pedal on my pedalboard into a Marshall 8008 poweramp into whatever cabs were available at rehearsals or gigs. And now an Axe-FX into a Matrix poweramp into two 1x12 cabs at rehearsals and straight into the FOH live.

Tube amps sound great when they sound great, but they just don't always sound great. And consistency is a quality on its own too.

PhredE likes this.
  2. Bbjork

Bbjork TDPRI Member

Boss Katana 100 works very well with my Tele and Pedal Steel, even better since my son and I replaced the MDF cab with solid pine. 7CD7245A-F6A7-4910-AF1C-9A1BBC5CDCFB.jpeg

ucnick and Bluesbird like this.
  3. 19Bentje48

19Bentje48 TDPRI Member

I advice a Session Blues Baby 45. https://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby-complete.php I have one, and my tube amps don’t leave my house anymore.

4. castermike

castermike TDPRI Member

I have been using a Vox Pathfinder V15R for quite some time. 15th watts with on board reverb plus an overdrive switch. Every bit as loud and useful as the AC 15 I used to have but a fraction of the weight.

5. themarkjlee

themarkjlee TDPRI Member

After testing the water with Quilter Micro Block I picked up an immaculate 2nd hand Quilter Pro Block on Reverb. Paired with a Celestion TF0818 in a homemade cab it has become my only amp, replacing a Fender 2x12 Deville and '62 Ampeg Reverberocket. The whole rig cost me less than the previous years' repair bill on my tube amps!

I was sold on the sound and weight in that order but totally love the XLR out for live gigs.. If you told me a couple of years ago my live sound would be based on a DI'd solid state amp I would not have been amused. The times they are a changin'

ucnick and PhredE like this.
  6. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Hi @dswo. OK, my suspicions on this are confirmed. You are correct, there are six tones with the same name of "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" (there is another one with lower case letters).

So, I read your question yesterday, and played guitar last night with the Mustang. And I decided to try to hunt down which SDIABR tone I fell in love with. And I discovered some things:

1) The Fender Tone architecture allows users to post tones with the same name (I had suspected this already but confirmed last night)

2) But...after downloading the tone onto the amp ... and even when browsing with my phone ... the author of the tone disappears! There is no way to find out which authored tone I downloaded! What I mean is, the app only stores the tone name and no other descriptors such as author, date, ratings, etc. You essentially lose any trace to what tone you installed, and in the event of multiple tones with the same name, it leads to confusion. That really needs to change.

I am suspecting it was the one authored by JOEH. If not, then try DAVIDC. I seem to remember when I discovered the tone initially that I explored the original author's other tones and these two have multiple tones published. Also, for sure, the name of the tone is exactly "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room" ... no abbreviations or anything else in the name.

dswo likes this.
  7. rdwest1

rdwest1 TDPRI Member

I’ve been using Vox Valvetronics for a while now. Priced right. Tons of tones (clean and dirty). Louder than expected. Easy to lug around and very reliable. The newer, the better (no surprise). I use three Teles and. Jeff Beck Strat. All sound great.

8. SimonBaja

SimonBaja TDPRI Member

I'm getting lots of enjoyment from my L5 jazz box copy through my Boss Katana mk2 100W 1x12.

Solid state, loud enough, and basically a whole set of Boss pedals built in.

I primarily use it clean for jazz.

The speaker is naturally a little bright/trebley, BUT, if you're willing to plug it into your PC and tweak the parametric EQ it takes on a whole new dimension. Hugely different. Warm crisp Wes Montgomery is there, slightly crunchy dark Kenny Burrell too.

I seriously think this amp is a good shout, especially if you're willing to tweak the software. And no tubes to go wrong mid gig.

Good luck in your search whichever way you go.

Bluesbird likes this.
  9. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

I have a Carvin SX200, with 2-100 watt Carvin/Eminence 12 inch speakers. That's headroom for an outdoor gig.

10. CVS54

CVS54 TDPRI Member

I have had a Roland Blue Cube Artist since they 1st came out - A great amp with 4 different power settings & no modeling. I play out of the clean channel with the boost and tone buttons turned on and play smooth jazz and blues for the most part. I use it both for practice and gigs. It is a workhorse & I have never had any problems with it. If I need more dirt, I use pedals and the amp takes all kinds of pedals very well. The amp is 80 watts at max setting but in terms of loudness, at least to me at the max power setting, it sounds more like say a 30 watt tube amp.I also have a Quilter 101 head. Both amps are great but the Roland is my #1 amp (and I have a few tube amps as well).

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do NOT get a JC120. Great amps but they fill a stadium on 3. My JC40 is easily louder than when I had a Deluxe Reverb for instance.

I think the volume tube/SS differential is real but only with very cheap, entry level SS amps that probably use garbage, inefficient speakers.

Play a Jazz Chorus or Peavey or Polytone or Katana and the volume is equivalent to any comparably rated tube amp.

I do think Jazz Chorus is the king of SS but just because they are great amps. I have three amps. A 40w tube amp. A 15w tube amp and a JC40 and I can take any of them to a gig and get tone and dynamics and crunch, and even edge-of-breakup sounds that make me very happy and sit right where they should in our mix.

PhredE, Bluesbird and CVS54 like this.
  12. jandlgoldman

jandlgoldman TDPRI Member

I just picked up a used Quilter 101. It is a really small SS amp weighs 2 lbs. I plugged it into my Vox Super Beetle cabinet loaded with a Celestion Creamback. Paid $225 for it, and it is in mint condition. Closest tube sounding SS amp I ever heard and it packs a real punch, can go from whisper quiet to brutally loud. Works with any 4 or 8 ohm cabinet and quilter makes a 12” speaker box that the 101 fits into, that is only around $300-$400. The 1O1 has a few amp models built in. Takes pedals well, has a really nice clean tone too.

Shango66 and CVS54 like this.
  13. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

I went with an Ethos OD Amp with all the bells and whistles. Not cheap. It sits on my pedalboard, has enough at 30watts and is exceptionally broad in its range of tonal possibilities.

14. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Boss Katana 50 or 100. Give you all you want.

ucnick and Bluesbird like this.
  15. CVS54

CVS54 TDPRI Member

I am with you on tube repair bills which is why I use solid state amps for everyday practice and most gigs. I have some tube amps but I save them for "special occasions".

16. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had the same thoughts regarding the Peavey

17. brianbivens

brianbivens TDPRI Member

I was looking for a good solid state and was checking Mustangs and Katanas and happened on the Fender Super Champ XD used for 250. It is a tube modeling amp, ways <20lbs, and can be quiet or loud. Additionally it has a fender acoustasonic amp model (#16) that is AMAZING. I know it isn’t a solid state, but for cost, it is the best sounding amp I have played. I prefer it over my Laney Cub clone (monoprice 15) or my fender cyber twin, or Vox valvetronix etc.

18. brianbivens

brianbivens TDPRI Member

Oh, last thought... I also have the Vox 3 G2. Fantastic little amplifier. Great clean tones and useable amp modes for dirt. My only complaint is that it only allows reverb or delay, as they are on the same knob and not built with a rev+delay option.

19. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

First it depends on what sound your looking for. I've been playing for over 45 years with many good players and have had many amps. They were all solid states. I found at first they sounded pretty good. But after a while noticed it was not what l was looking for. I've had a marshall,Yamaha twin it weighted about a ton. But it was all the same there was something missing. The right sound.My that l've been jamming with for over 45 years had a hot rod the first one they made. It was all tubes,the sound that coming out of that was unbelievable. I eventually l went to a vox twin that was a heavy one too wow! But was too heavy to carry around. So l traded for a hot rod deluxe 111. Never went backward again. All the sound,power l need. Has never been played the volume more than 3 lots of power. But like l said depends what a person is looking. But tubes are the way to go the hotter they get the better. To a point. So good luck.

20. 1996Standard

1996Standard Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Tech 21 trademark series. But I've got the little Trademark 10. I bought it on a whim once, annoyed that I'd missed out on a Pathfinder 15 eBay auction. Very pleased with the tones you can get out of it and it takes drive pedals very well. And it does have the XLR output if I ever actually get into a situation where's needed.

The Angle and Tim S like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.