Considering a solid rosewood neck - any opinions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TheGoodTexan, Nov 29, 2011.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That's it. I'm getting one. You guys have allowed me to talk myself into it! :D

I'll just wait to hear back from Tommy. I think I'll actually send him the neck that I want him to "duplicate". Not that it's all that unique, but just to make sure that there's nothing lost in translation.

2. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

If you have a neck that you want to duplicate, I envy you. I have necks that I love, but I've never found the perfect one. I like offset neck profiles, another thing EB/MM spoiled me on. I've been thinking about getting a Warmoth SRV neck profile to see if I liked it. I'm not a strat-in-a-hat guy, but it sounds like the closest thing to the profile I would want.

3. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    It's just the right shape neck, for this particular guitar. I string this one up heavy (11-48), raise the action and float the tremolo. This neck shape and fingerboard radius just seem to work for that. I play a lot of funk rock on this guitar. Sort of Nuno-ish.

My other Strats have different character, and different necks, so I set them up different. One is pretty vintage. Another is a 3-bolt and sort of Gilmour-ish. None of the necks are similar, and none of them would really work on any of the other bodies, for my tastes.

4. Lazloryder

Lazloryder Tele-Meister

I never even Knew all rosewood is possible. I definitely prefer the rosewood and ebony unfinished fret boards, but thought these materials were too soft to maintain shape overtime. If they do hold up though, then that's pretty bad ass.

5. Good Iron

Good Iron Poster Extraordinaire

Bad Ass indeed. How long will it take to get it to your door?

Curious in LA CA

6. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    It's 100% completely stable. The reason you don't see more of them is (a) cost, and (b) tradition.

I'm not sure. I really don't want to order from Warmoth, so I'm waiting to hear from Tommy at USAGC to see what the cost is going to be. I know it ain't gonna be cheap - so it might take me a bit to save up.

7. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Just curious about this statement. Is there a reason why you don't want to order from them? I have ordered from them a couple of times and love the experience and the product. In fact my recent purchase was a Rosewood baritone neck. It is a 2-piece (neck/fretboard) not 1 solid piece. If you want it solid but don't want a skunk stripe, do you simply mean that you want the stripe to be of similar color instead of contrasting? They've got to get that truss rod in there somehow.

8. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

There are lots of other woods that don't require a finish and are a bit cheaper than rosewood.

Looking at Warmoth's in stock necks:

Around $200 - Goncalo Alves, Padouk (cool reddish color), Canary

Around $225 - Wenge (dark like Brazilian rosewood)

Around $250 - Teak, Afra (supposed to sound like maple), Pau Ferro (brown like Indian rosewood)

Around $275 - Indian rosewood

What's another $75 though, if you really want rosewood?

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Ziricote also looks somewhat like rosewood, although I have no idea on its availability or cost.

10. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I'm glad that some people do have good experiences with them. Without derailing the conversation, I'll just say that I have not. But sometimes they are the only game in town for certain options.

If there must be a skunk-stripe route, then yeah - fill it with a piece of rosewood from the same neck blank if possible.

I've worked with most of those woods. I've worked with wenge A LOT. But this is a case of increasing economies. When I'm that close to getting exactly what I want, what's another few dollars? Not that I'm made of money! Just... when I'm saving to get something that I really want, I want to end up really getting specifically what I want! :D

11. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

I have both rosewood on strat (rosewood neck + fingerboard, not one piece) and pao ferro with SS frets on telecaster (pao ferro neck + fingerboard).
    As how the neck feels in your hand must say I like pao ferro more.
    Very smooth and fast, just great.
    Both necks are Warmoth made.

Just my opinion..

12. Ed Mo

Ed Mo TDPRI Member

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but working with rosewood, aside from the rather caustic effects of the dust (not your problem if you are buying), it is considerably heavier than something like maple, mahog, etc. Since the Strat is already a weight hog, how much extra weight do you think solid rose will add?

Just curious.

ed

13. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

nevermind

14. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Most rosewood varieties are heavier than maple, but I would think that the small amount of extra weight that it would add to a neck would not be noticeable. Granted - I've never played a Strat or Tele with a solid rosewood neck - only the PRS guitars I mentioned, then the EBMM Albert Lee model.

Ok.

By the way, I just got an email back from Tommy at USACG and he's totally on board with this. The price is quoted me is in my budget, and still $200 less than Warmoth! Still, not cheap, but I've already got the money saved up. I think I'll order it next week.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A while back, I started buying necks from Warmoth. I did not like Warmoth bodies so after one dud, I switched on the bodies to USACG.

I got a few webspecial USACG necks but very few with what I wanted surfaced, so the Warmoth necks did not stop at once. My girlfriend knew I wanted a Rosewood neck and wanted to make a gift of one and it ended up happening at Warmoth. While the neck eventually got well, if I knew then what I knew now, I'd have ordered it from Tommy.

I think she paid $ 250? This is East Indian Rosewood on the Vintage Modern template. On a lot of overseas woods, Warmoth demands you choose the Pro trussrod but that was expressly not OK with me.

Back then I though Tommy did not have a supply of this sort of Rosewood. Some guys sent him rosewood for him to use. Find out what is the case, now.

My Warmoth is a Tele neck and not a Strat but that neck scared me bad. Weird, weird brightness. It took about 2 years and a lot of matching for it to find a great home. If you have just 1 loaded body you intend your new neck for, you are taking bold action, I suggest.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

17. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm in the middle of a long scale Les Paul build and making a rosewood neck for it. I too love the raw, porous feeling of rosewood.

[​IMG]

18. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

I purchased a 2019 Fender "Limited Edition" American Professional Stratocaster Daphne Blue Solid Rosewood Neck over the Summer. I really like the solid rosewood neck as it feels so smooth and dampens the inherent brightness of the Strat. Now how do I fill in the "Fender" logo?

upload_2019-11-6_16-12-25.jpeg

19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The thing that surprised me about the ones that I've played is that they're even brighter sounding than a one piece maple neck or a maple neck/rosewood board. I had a Japanese made version of the George Harrison solid rosewood Tele back in the day, and it was a gorgeous looking guitar, but it was exceedingly bright, even with a SD quarter pounder in the neck position.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.