Conrad's heart of darkness.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Jan 18, 2020.

1. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I bought a heap of Joseph Conrad books last summer from Barter Books in Alnwick (coolest book shop in the World), including Heart of Darkness.
    I've read it before but gave the copy away. Apocalypse Now is my favourite film of all time. You can spot parts of the book that were included in the film.
    Especially the death of Chief Phillips - 'A spear'. It's only a short novel, so if you are a fan of the film, at least read the book to compare them.
    I read 'The Rover' last year. Great story but ruined by a terrible film adaptation. I've just finished Typhoon & I'm currently reading The Shadow-Line.

Jimmy Owen and johnny k like this.
  2. nico

nico TDPRI Member

Conrad's command of prose is incredible, and Heart of Darkness is a great book.

If you like Apocalypse Now, I would strongly encourage you to watch the documentary Hearts of Darkness that was shot by Coppola's wife about the making of AN. You'll likely have to buy it (Prime, or maybe a used DVD.).

I cannot understate how amazing this documentary is.

johnny k and Dan German like this.
  3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

The Heart of Darkness is genius! It’s fantastic. I highly recommend it. It’s inspired sooo much content in pop culture, including Apocalypse Now. I don’t know that I would call HOD difficult, but then I’ve read/completed Ulysses and Gravity’s Rainbow, two of the most difficult texts in the English language.

johnny k likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Conrad is excellent.

johnny k likes this.
  5. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Apocalypse Now! is Coppola's attempt to bring Heart of Darkness to the screen. If you liked Apocalypse Now! I recommend Hearts of Darkness - the making-of documentary.

"And this also," said Marlow suddenly, "has been one of the dark places of the earth."

Love that quote and the story that follows. Conrad is a great writer and HOD is great writing, but he and the book have some problems, most of which are outlined in this New Yorker article.

johnny k likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Going to look for the documentary. I never knew it existed. I’m a doofus

johnny k likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's an excellent book. Even better than the movie, IMHO. Though the movie brings some unique elements/characterizations...

johnny k likes this.
  8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

i would recommend it. a good read. get a copy of Moby Dick while you're at it. it's my favorite piece of essential, "classic" literature.

Jimmy Owen, basher and johnny k like this.
  9. nico

nico TDPRI Member

"It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice." He had a way with words, that Mr. Conrad.

10. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Heart of darkness awas fairly recent read when I watched Apocalyps Now! I enjoyed Sheens search for Kurz but lost all interest in the film when he finaly got there.
    Read Lord Jim to and he (conrad) has earned his place in the world literature

johnny k likes this.
  11. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Haven't read Conrad for a while. Thanks for reminding me of him, I might also grab a copy of the Heart Of Darknes, a book I've not read.
    I enjoyed his The ****** of the 'Narcissus, Lord Jim, and, Typoon, but they are the only ones I've read.

Hmm...puts me in mind for another new thread...or two.

Jimmy Owen and johnny k like this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I ve never read moby dick, but i ve read the old man and the sea and i didn t like it. Funny how some classic books work for some people and not others. I need to read it though.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You should give Moby Dick a try. Melville and Hemingway are entirely different writers; although I like both. I think Old Man and the Sea was more in line with Hemingway's love of fishing. Melvile's was more about human obsession and revenge.

tamer_of_banthas and johnny k like this.
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Not difficult, but almost too 'perfect' is how I described it. People don't tend to talk in the same way that Conrad writes. It's a bit like watching a Shakespeare play... you have to 'get your ear in tune' to the language usage, and reading Conrad is the same... you need to get your reading-eye 'in tune' with his way with words.

Some people can't get on with Shakespeare, and some with Conrad. Me... I love them both!

dougstrum, kafka and johnny k like this.
  15. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Moby Dick is definitely not a quick and easy read. I didn't understand allegory when I first read it and even when I was older it was hard work in places. A classic, nonetheless.
    I enjoyed the original '50s film with Gregory Peck as Ahab and a young Richard Basehart as Ishmael.

johnny k likes this.
  16. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

I might also recommend Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart after you’ve read HOD. It’s Achebe’s response, showing the impact of colonialism on Africa.

I have read most of Conrad’s works. HOD is worth your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnny k and P Thought like this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Directly, on Purpose? Interesting. I might have to re-read Things Fall Apart. I'm a bit bogged down right now, though. . . ;)

johnny k and Jimmy Owen like this.
  18. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Achebe criticizes the way that Conrad depicts Africans, citing HOD in particular.

In Things Fall Apart, Achebe sets out to describe Africa from “the inside out”—from an African point of view.

Yes—I know your reading list is long!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnny k and P Thought like this.
  19. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

As others have said, "Apocalypse Now" works on some of the same themes and ideas as Heart of Darkness, but they're not the same or even all that similar.

HoD
    was written for an audience that was hearing increasing news reports about atrocities in the Congo under Belgian rule. Before diving into HoD, spend 30 minutes reading one or two Wikipedia articles on that sad history to get the context in which the story is set. Most of Conrad's stories were highly topical for his time, which means they can seem quaint and outdated to readers who tackle them from a modern viewpoint.

HoD
    is one of Conrad's shorter books, so it's not as daunting as Lord Jim or Nostromo.

johnny k, P Thought and Jimmy Owen like this.
  20. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

what @telleutelleme said! also, be forewarned about Moby Dick, there are some long passages describing in mostly dry, technical detail the process by which whaling boats used to lash the carcasses to the sides of their vessels, and go about the business of processing the whale flesh and rendering the oil.

those can be a bit tough to get through, but it really does give you an appreciation for how soft and easy our lives are today. anti-biotics and cotton undies. heat and cold at the touch of a button.

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.