Connecting Turntable to Shelf Stereo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

You need to run a grounding wire from the turntable to the Receiver ground.
    similar to this

Attached Files:

2. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Without a phone pre - amp ( built into the receiver or as a separate component ) the turntable will produce no or very, very low volume. Also, without a grounding lug, the signal from the turntable will buzz like crazy. Good luck, vinyl is sweet!

3. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I've done a bit more research, figure out that piece I posted a pic of is a spade connector, and I have the lugs as well. However, they are not connected to any wire. That would be too intricate for me to handle, soldering wire to these little gadgets, so I will just get myself to a Radio Shack and buy a proper grounding wire.

I don't have a receiver, on the back it says Quartz Synchronized Tuner Amplifier. However, the sound of the record is coming through fine, though with the buzz. I agree, I love vinyl, mostly playing my Dad's jazz albums. I feel like the instruments are in the room with me. It's hard to explain to people who think CDs and MP3s are better. It may not be technologically updated, but the sound reproduction is more authentic, I guess, so it makes it sound more in front of you.

Anyway, I will get myself to a Radio Shack soon and see if I can get the proper grounding wire. I hope that will fix the buzz!

4. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Receiver = tuner.

Tim

5. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

+1. A receiver is just a tuner and amplifier in one housing, so a component labeled "Tuner Amplifier" is almost certainly the same thing as a receiver.

6. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

You can usually attach wires to the ground screws without spade terminals.

Just strip off about 3/4" of insulation from the ends of the wire. Loosen the ground screw,
    wrap the bare wire end around the screw (under the screw head) and tighten.

The grounding screw is usually a knurled thumb screw, and just tightened by hand. If it's
    really tight, you might need pliers to loosen it. Be careful not to break it.

Normally 18 to 22 AWG wire is used, but just about any wire will work. Those
    connectors are way too big anyway, look like they're 10 gauge wire size.

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

If you want to use that spade connector, it is a crimp on type, not a solder type. all you have to do is, strip off about 3/8" of bare wire, insert it into connector, squeeze it tight with something, ideally a pair of wire crimping pliars, but any type of wire pliars, or even "carefully" hammer it tight.

8. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

OK cool, so it's the same as a receiver...I was just confused because one of the posts above implied they were different.

I actually tried that with an antenna wire I have. It didn't seem to work, but maybe enough of the wire wasn't stripped off? I'll give it another whirl and see if it makes a difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.