Connecting Bass Cab/Guitar Cab into Guitar Cab

HouseBoat28

TDPRI Member
Sorry this is such a dumb question, but I have scoured Google/watched a bunch of YouTube videos and my simple brain cannot understand this advanced amp calculus. Help is super appreciated!

I have two cabs - an 8 ohm PF210HE and a 8 ohm Mesa Rectifier 2x12 (also has a parallel option?). I'm trying to connect to an Orange 50w Rockerverb with the (pictured) 1x8 or 2x16 ohm outputs. Can I run one speaker cable directly from one 2x16 to one cab, and the same to the other? Please explain like I am 8 years old.

IMG_3975.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
That would indicate to me you can run two 8 ohm cabs, one each into the left two jacks. But it IS unclear what they mean. Do they mean only one 8 ohm cab in either jack? I doubt it but....
The amp is probably ok to have a 4 ohm total load (two 8 ohm cabs) up to a total 8 ohm load (two 16 ohm cabs).
Doesn't the manual explain it?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Please explain like I am 8 years old.

you can’t use both of those 8 ohm cabs..safely…according to the manual.
If you had two 16 ohm cabs, you could run both of them in that 8 ohm secondary by plugging one cab into each of those 8 ohm in ding jacks.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Yeah...if you run two 8 ohm cabs together the amp will “see” 4 ohms combined load, so no—not safe. One or the other of the 8 ohm cabs at a time only in that scenario, and use the single cab 8 ohm output.

HouseBoat28

TDPRI Member
you can’t use both of those 8 ohm cabs..safely…according to the manual.
If you had two 16 ohm cabs, you could run both of them in that 8 ohm secondary by plugging one cab into each of those 8 ohm in ding jacks.
I could be totally wrong - but are there secondary devices that can be used to 'replicate' a 16ohm load in the chain? Like an adapter of sorts?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Regardless of the impedance your bass cab will pull a very high load and as a consequence could overload the guitar cab. So I’m not afraid to try it but start at very low level everything. And listen carefully for stress.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I could be totally wrong - but are there secondary devices that can be used to 'replicate' a 16ohm load in the chain? Like an adapter of sorts?
There are devices that can match different impedances. Weber makes one……Z Matcher, right. $181 new price. You would need one for each speaker.
Anither aspect to consider here is the efficiency of each cab. If they are not close in efficiency, one cab will not be heard.
Sometimes one has square pegs that won’t fit well in round holes.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
What you need to do is connect the two cabs in series to make a 16 ohm load.

Myself, I'd move the middle jack from the 8 ohm tap to the 16 ohm tap. But do not try this at home. ;)

The easier option is probably to make a Y cable that puts the cabs in series.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
There are devices that can match different impedances. Weber makes one……Z Matcher, right. $181 new price. You would need one for each speaker.
Anither aspect to consider here is the efficiency of each cab. If they are not close in efficiency, one cab will not be heard.
Sometimes one has square pegs that won’t fit well in round holes.
There is a second speaker connection in the back of the Z Matcher so you can run two speakers out of a single Z Matcher in parallel. So, for two 8 ohm cabs, set the speaker knob for 4 ohms.

weberzmatch-jpg.348989

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Twenty five years ago when I was making do with whatever I could lay my hands on at least cost. I built a couple of adapter boxes into pedal type enclosures. Each with one input jack (from amp) and two output jack's (to speakers). One wires the speakers in series the other in parallel. You would need the series adapter, which would give a 16 ohm load at the amp. This may or may not give a louder or better sounding result than just using one of your speakers plugged into the 8 ohm output socket.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

Use a cab merger box, like this (or build one). 8+8 in series = 16 (but the bass cab may still overcome the guitar cab).

You'd need three (3) speaker cables. (make sure you're using speaker cables to connect amps to cabinets. Even though instrument cables fit the jacks at both ends, they will destroy themselves (melt) at moderate volume, potentially damaging your amp in the process)

Each cabinet would connect to the outside jacks on that box, and then you'd connect the third speaker cable to the "series" jack on the box, and the 1 x 16 Ω jack on your amplifier.

You could also build yourself a box like that one, but if you don't already own a soldering iron, the parts and equipment would almost certainly exceed the cost of the pre-made one.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
I have the Palmer Cab Merger and for ~30€$£ plus three speaker cables, it will do the job.
I have tried a bass cab + guitar cab together before, can sound pretty cool.

The PF210he have a sensitivity of 99,6dB while the Mesa cab have two V30's á 100dB ≈103dB total. The bass cab won't "overpower" the guitar cab.
Both are 8Ω and will receive the same amount of power, the guitar cab will just be a little bit louder in certain frequencies. The bass cab will probably fill out the low end.

...and if you plan to use a lot of distortion, turn off/down the level of the compression driver in the PF210he. Distortion in that frequency range sounds, well, not very good.