Conflict or cooperation? A philosophical colloquium brought to us by Guitar Store

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Snfoilhat, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

At first I was like

Yes! Someone in sales mistook the guitar I want ($500, mahogany body), for the lesser guitar in the lineup ($300, basswood body), and so I'm getting a deal!

But then I was like

These same people are the ones I'm trusting to pack and safely ship this guitar 2800 miles.

Do you hope for the people around you to be better, so they can help you, or worse, so you can out-compete them?

Torren61 likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I generally expect the worst from humanity and am not often disappointed. The good thing about this philosophy is that it leaves room for the occasional pleasant surprise when I'm wrong.

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Better than, or worse than me, is not my primary concern. I believe in a philosophy where humanity it both the teacher and student and jointly need to seek answers to general and fundamental questions. I want people around me to be honest and forthright to the point where I can make a decision if they can help to me, or, I can help them.

If I find myself in a position where someone has lesser ability than myself, the focus in not to have the satisfaction of out-competing them, but to offer encouragement in a manner that will allow them to become better. If I am better, I want it to be on the merit of efficiency and not aggressiveness.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

So they made a mistake you were fully aware of and you did not inform them and let them proceed. Isn’t that just a form of theft rather than a ‘deal’?

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Well it goes the other way sometimes. A while ago, there was a listing for a Vox Pathfinder on the GC used website. Text of the listing called it a V9168R Pathfinder 15R. The photo was of the Pathfinder 10, with the cream tolex and Union Jack grille cloth.

So either the text or the pic had to be wrong.

Long short, the text was wrong and I was out the cost of shipping to my local store.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I could take that deal. The guitar would always have that skin on it.

They may end up finding their mistake and send you the $300 version, which would be a pain to sort out.
    Even if you did get the $500 one it would probably always smell funny.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Ahh, humanity. I expect nothing but the worse from them. Anything better is a shock, surprise, astonishing, bewildering and thrilling to experience. However rare "better" occurs, it is time to celebrate, although beware when it happens because there is typically some sort of evil reason.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

Just have it shipped to your local guitar center and check it out in store.

muchxs likes this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe they were happy to just take $300 to move it ...

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

life is a mirror.

SparkleFart, moosie and Jupiter like this.
  11. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Perhaps you're wrong in your assumption. I would certainly point out them that you want the Mahogany one before they ship it 2,800 miles.

rangercaster likes this.
  12. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

Maybe the OG in sales is tired of the company and did it on purpose.
    No need to worry:)

13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I've seen people pay good money for apathy.

14. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Just an FYI, if it winds up being the one you don't want, you have to eat the shipping.

15. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Karma has a way of sorting things out. Not always right away, but it will.

tintag27 likes this.
  16. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

I took a mandolin into a reputable local store the other day hoping to make a trade for a nice little 12 fret parlor guitar. It took about thirty minutes for the store experts to prove they know nothing about mandolins. No trade was made.

17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I was looking for a cheap Epi SG for a friend at GC. They had a bolt neck one and a set neck one right next to each other used at the same price in the same condition $110. As I bought the set neck one I informed the manager who I knew about the deal I was getting. Yeah he said as he rang me up, we screwed that one up for sure. My buddy was thrilled with his new SG.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Carelessness/laziness on the part of a seller to not do their due dilligence is one thing. But ignorance is not only forgivable, but when I'm far less likely to take advantage of a "great deal".

Just a few days ago a seller on FBM had a vintage Gibson skylark amp they posted for $25, in unknown condition. I responded as soon as I saw it, but by then it was already pending. I told them the amp in working condition is worth far more, and if they don't feel bad about reneging on their current sale, I would gladly offer more, regardless of condition, as it would be project amp for me. As sneaky as that sounds to the buyer, the reality is that I was perfectly fine not buying it, as it was not clear to me if they knew what they had or not. I didn't feel right about getting an almost literal steal.

I think that perked their interest, because a few mins later the add was deleted. Yesterday they messaged me, and let me know that after our messaging they took it to a tech who let them know what they had. They were quite appreciative that I was honest with them. They are deciding to either keep it, or sell it for much more. That felt much better to me than any thrill I would have got from landing the amp on the cheap.

DekeDog, stevemc and tintag27 like this.
  19. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I sort of think that if we polled all of us, every one would see therself as better than humanity in general, much as that might seem to defy statistics.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  20. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

people rarely disappoint me.once in a while but,not much.new appliances on the other hand suck!

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.