Confirming Pedalboard Sequence

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Bergy, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

2808E596-5C5A-4740-B3C7-709C0C8960A7.jpeg

Hey there ya’ll. Just swapped out some pedals on my board and wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly in ordering them. Going from Right to Left:

Wah - Buffer/Clean Boost - Timmy Overdrive - Boss Tremolo - Vapor Trail Delay - MXR 10 band EQ

Does that seem right?

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

If everything works together to make the sounds you want, then it's right.

Just because someone else might want them in another order, doesn't make it a better idea.

Bergy and JustABluesGuy like this.
  3. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

The board is on the bottom, and the pedals on top - pedalboard sequence confirmed!

mefgames and Bergy like this.
  4. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Hmm, good point. I reckon there might be more than 1 right answer. It’s gonna be a slight PITA if I have to redo more solderless cables and/or cut zip ties off. I might just hafta fire it up as-is with patch cables and see how it goes!

5. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

My thoughts - it's pretty close to how I'd probably use it.

- boost is either going to push the OD harder where it is, or put it last to push the amp harder.

- delay and trem are in the right order in my opinion - trem after delay can cause a repeat to vanish when it lands right in the bottom of the tremolo cycle, and that can sound odd

- the EQ could be put in front of the OD to give you two different overdrive styles - you could set up the OD with a fairly neutral tone, and then with the EQ in front, you'd be able to switch to a mid-humped (good for lead) or scooped EQ curve. An EQ pedal could also be used as a clean boost, typically, if you put it there and wanted to drive the OD harder. Depends on whether you want to sculpt the total sound, or just the OD tone.

Obsessed and Bergy like this.
  6. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Great stuff! Thank you. I gotta keep the boost where it is cuz it’s also the buffer. After hearing you describe it that way, I wish I could put it last in the chain....but if I keep the EQ there, I could kinda run it like a secondary clean boost, huh? I considered moving that EQ to right in front of the buffer to adjust to humbucker versus single coil guitars a little more quickly and precisely. I imagine it will still do a perfectly fine job of that placed at the end. Sounds like I might have speculated correctly on the tremolo delay order. Sweet!

7. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Theoretically sounds right if it sounds right. Your OD's are true bypass?

8. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Yup, Timmy is true-bypass. Gonna spike ‘er where she lie!

9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I like Trem last. YMMV

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 I'm a huge believer and user of the EQ Pedal. To me there are more advantages having it up front before dirt. Technically, I believe it should be up front behind the Wah, but as others mention, whatever works for you is the best solution.

11. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Oh man, ya’ll have given me almost too much to think about! I really appreciate it, but I feel like I might just have to do the testing myself. Looks like I may have underestimated the amount of personal preference in programming a board! Those were basically the 2 issues I was most concerned about: EQ pedal placement either at end or after wah, and tremolo before or after delay. I shall suspend thy spiking of the pedals.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

What, no reverb?!

=O.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.