1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Confession: I love tribute shows

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hatfield92, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So last night, I found myself and six of my closest friends in the second row of a performance by Zoso, a very talented Lad Zeppelin tribute band. It was so good. Everyone had a great time. There’s something magic about experiencing iconic songs performed well live, and at that volume.

I haven’t seen a ton of tribute shows, but the ones I have attended, I’ve enjoyed immensely. I’ve seen a handful of Beatles tributes (I used to live in Louisville, which hosts an annual Beatles tribute festival), as well a Elton John and Bon Jovi.

I wouldn’t mind seeing quality tributes to Petty, the Stones, Fleetwood Mac and the Allman Brothers in the near future.

fendertx, John Nicholas and Slim60 like this.
  2. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I've had fun seeing tribute bands. If the venue is right and the beer is flowing and the band has their chops down, those shows are fun. I saw a Neil Diamond tribute band a long while back and had a blast.

Clint Young - "Shilo" [video]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. mally

mally Tele-Holic

I go to a lot sometimes when a band is past its former glory tributes are better ! (not taking away anything from the originals though )

4. mally

mally Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Dennyf, Chiogtr4x and codamedia like this.
  5. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

I enjoyed these guys immensely.

6. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I think I have seen Zoso but I don’t remember. I have seen some good tribute bands, Rain was a Beatles band I have seen a few times they were sick. I’ve also seen a Pink Floyd band called the machine 3 or 4 times I think. They are fun shows !

7. RU Experienced

RU Experienced TDPRI Member

Opps. Sorry, wrong link. Shoulda even this one

https://www.britfloyd.com/

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I think tribute bands are good when properly executed.

There’s a popular zeppelin tribute band around here called Kashmir a couple years ago my buddy got invited to a local festival and I went with him, apart of him going to the festival was our privilege of meeting Kashmir
    So we got to poke our heads inside there limousine which was oddly out of place in the local environment .
    The one thing I took away from them is that they were taking the tribute thing a little too far and actually thought they were Led Zeppelin in 1975 and were too good for us country bumpkins

Yes they were very good at what they do but thats the first thing I think about when I hear zeppelin cover (sorry) tribute band

I can also see being annoyed at having to perform sometimes when you don’t want but that’s not the paying crowds fault

9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I'm similar.... One of my favorite tribute bands is Brit Floyd, obviously a Pink Floyd tribute band. They are absolutely amazing!!

I've seen an Elton John tribute, a couple of Beatles tributes, another Pink Floyd tribute called the Machine and have immensely enjoyed every single show!

In fact, I will go one further and say that tribute shows are much more enjoyable than the originals for a few reasons. First it's music we all know and love. It's in a much more intimate setting... the ticket prices are reasonable and because many of the bands are getting older or no longer exist, the tribute bands (if they are good ones) play better and sing better than the aging originals.

Don't get me wrong, the originals are what got us into this music, but often they can not perform the same way they did when they were younger. Worse if they are still performing, unless you are very wealthy, the seats to see the originals are so far away that you basically only see the bands on huge video screens.

While this is not true in every single case, in the few instances I've seen the tribute shows are incredible. I'm a fan!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  10. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

A band called "Rain" performs a Beatles tribute show, that's second to none. They dress in periodic stages of
    the Beatles from 63 (Ed Sullivan show, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Peppers et al) to 69. Great show. To mention tribute
    shows are great and face it, the originals are gone, to old to play and sing or just don't do it. We know they're
    not the "real group", but they will take you to your youth and your memories get stimulated and a smile on your
    face. I may be old, but I saw all the great bands. Thank you Mom and Dad.

John Nicholas likes this.
  11. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I've seen some pretty good tribute bands, including the Illegal Eagles and the Australian Pink Floyd Experience, who are terrific. It's a good night out listening to your favourite music.

OK, they're not the real thing but they get close and the originals are mostly either disbanded, limping on with multiple member charges or rather expensive.

John Nicholas, Hatfield92 and mally like this.
  12. mally

mally Tele-Holic

I like the illegal eagles a lot seen them a few times and have got tickets for when they are in town again alse a Springsteen tribute ,dylan ,and floyd coming up soon ! As I said we go to a lot

13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There is a little theater in Fredricksburg Texas that hosts some of these tribute bands. when we've been there on vacation we've caught the Liverpool Legends and a Buddy Holly tribute on another occasion. Great shows, both had fabulous singers/musicians.

In the spirit of but definitely not a tribute band, Heart did a couple of Zep tunes as their encore, Immigrant Song and Stairway. Holy Moly!!!! One of the best live performances I have ever seen.

14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I saw what is probably the ultimate Led Zeppelin tribute this summer. Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Evening. They opened for Peter Frampton. They were very good. If you didn’t look at the singer, you could’ve swore you were hearing the mighty Zep.

15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I only have seen one tribute show, which was an Elvis impersonator show in Easton, PA. Scot Bruce did the young Elvis, and he really looked like Elvis too. Then, in the second half, Mike Albert did the Vegas-era Elvis. It was an entertaining evening, but I’m in no rush to see another Elvis guy.

fendertx likes this.
  16. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

There was a Beatles tribute show that I saw in the 1970s which I enjoyed, but I'm finding I quite like bands that cover songs and add something of their own unique qualities to the performance.

Local bands used to get together in my town and do a show where theyd cover songs from the catalogue of a particular band and it was a hoot!

17. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I happen to play in a Sublime tribute band. Not only is it my first time playing in a tribute band but in 30 years of playing in bands, It's my first time playing any covers whatsoever. Every band, besides this one, I've played in has been original music. It's a long story how I got into this band but I'm in it and I love it. I don't know if I'd be interested in playing in other tribute bands (although playing in a Grateful Dead band would be fun) but I love this one because the music is so fun to play, especially on guitar! And since Brad died before they really hit it big, 99% of the people have never heard these songs live. They've only heard them from the recordings. So when we get to play a New Song, Ebin, KRS-1, Greatest Hits etc.. they love it and we love it. We by no means are trying to emulate Sublime. We just love the music and the songs, we enjoy playing amongst ourselves and we enjoy playing for anyone willing to listen. Here's video from a recent show:

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been in a real tribute band, but for a few occasional gigs, the Blues Band I was in backed an Elvis impersonator for a few shows " Elvis at 21'
    We played only the early 1956 era music and ( with my trusty Dano and some slapback) I got to be Scotty Moore! ( not dressed up or anything...)
    ' Elvis' ( his name is Will) looks and sounds and moves just like the real deal. He does the Jumpsuit/Karate Elvis too, but we just stuck to the early stuff. Folks loved it- he really sold it!

19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In Ohio...

Zoso is good. I have seen them a number of times.

Around Ohio, we have "Wish You Were Here" - a Pink Floyd tribute. They often do Animals end to end. Great band.

We just saw David Brighton's Space Oddity a few weeks ago. Good tribute to Bowie (i'm not a Bowie fan, but the wife enjoyed it).

There used to be a really good Alice Cooper tribute called The Nightmare in our area, but the lead singer passed a few years ago.

The Four Horseman are a good Metallica tribute around here. We were friends with their previous bass player and used to see them from time to time.

Classic Stones Live featuring the Glimmer Twins is a really good Stones tribute. We are friends with the band to boot, so a good time.

There comes a point where seeing the originals price themselves out of the market; decent tickets for the Stones are $600 each. Tickets for the Glimmer Twins are usually around $30. Dollar for dollar, I'd much rather see the tribute.

20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OK, Brighton is based in Vegas, and the Glimmer Twins in Philly. These were not all Ohio acts.

My point was more "Yes, we do enjoy a good tribute band".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.