1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Condenser mic power supply?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by TelenTubes, Apr 29, 2020.

1. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Hi,

I bought a condenser mic that takes 48v phantom power. I also bought a Scarlett 4i4 for doing some recording through the computer.

IF, however, I just want to run the mic to a monitor, I'm going to need to power the mic. Should I invest in a mixing board that has the phantom power ability, or get a dedicated mic power supply?

The latter purpose would be for jamming/playing around. I don't think the Scarlett can supply phantom power to a monitor without hooking it up through a computer?

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Unless you actually need a mixer, I'd either buy a +48v phantom supply or a dynamic vocal mic, which would probably be better for live use anyway.

3. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Everything you need to answer your question OP, very succinct, to the point, and correct. Get a real SM57 from Sweetwater for $99.9999 and call it a day.

beyer160 likes this.
  4. boop

boop Tele-Holic

The scarlet should provide phantom power if you plug it into any USB wall wart, such as the type you charge a phone with. Try to use a decent wall wart that is rated for at least 1 amp.

Stiles and TelenTubes like this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

If you can find a little 80s Rane MS-1 1-channel mic preamp inexpensively, they have phantom power and are impossible to kill. Your Grandkids will still be able to use it.

6. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I hadn't read everything about the scarlet just yet, and didn't know if you could power it with a wall wart.

7. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

If you wanted to use that to do dual duty and mic an amp from time to time (with the SM57), would it work for that? I'm an idiot about mics and don't want to kill a mic the first time I stick it in front of a VOX AC15.

tubegeek likes this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Industry standard.

If you use it as a hammer for over 20 minutes you should let it cool down for 5.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

No guitar amplifier ever made will harm an SM57 at any volume level. Your AC15 might overload a condenser mic and make it sound like crap because they're more sensitive, but it won't actually hurt it.

A 57 is a tool you can use forever. Don't forget a pop screen, 57s are really bad for p-popping on vocals without one. An SM58 is basically the same mic as a 57 with a pop filter built in.

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is doubtful you will damage a mic with an AC15 unless you drop the amp on the mic.

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

In that case, you're probably more likely to break the AC15.

12. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

57s have been used to mic amps for a long, long time. No worry about hurting it.

13. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Okay, tried a wall wart with the Scarlett 4i4 and it didn't do anything, so I think I'm going to look for a mixing board with the phantom power. Have a drummer friend that has an electric drum set and mixing might be great. He has a powered monitor and I have a powered monitor, so it sounds like a mixing board might be the route to go.

14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You can also get an 80's Rane 4 ch mixer which will also outlast the rest of your gear and will also be inexpensive. It will have phantom power.

TelenTubes likes this.
  15. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I have a pop filter that attaches to the boom.

16. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Is that a push button switch on the front panel to turn the 48v phantom power on and off? If so, did you have the switch pushed in when you tried the wall wart power? Are you sure the wall wart provided enough current to power the 4i4? not every wall wart provides 1 amp of current, some are more equal than others. The wart should have a small label on it that says output voltage and current.

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Grab an under $100 ( new) 2 or 4 channel mini mixer, they all have P- Power. G Center has them used all the time as well, various brands. These little puppys have millions of uses for exactly what you are doing and more. I do recommend a mini 4 Channel though, , couple of mics plus Audio inputs . blah blah blah...Plug it in to your active monitor (s)

We used a mini 4 channel on a full band outdoor gig a few times as a back -up , nobody was the wiser.

I consider these things to be an essential item to own.

mixer.jpg

TelenTubes, teleaddicted and tubegeek like this.
  18. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I found the mains powered little Behringer Xenix wouldnt power my SDC but the USB powered Focusrite Scarlet did it easily.

YMMD

19. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

20. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

plug mic into xlr cable

xlr into 4i4, push 48v button

run line from headphone jack to powered monitor

what am I missing?

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.