Concert Standouts You Have Heard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Teleterr, May 14, 2017.

1. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

My wife at the time and I saw Roy Orbison's last concert in Highland Heights, Ohio, two days before his untimely passing...great show!

First time I saw Garth Brooks at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus, Ohio, early 90's-I was standing on a chair screaming and singing by the end of the show-I'd never done that before and haven't since...can't really explain it, but he was amazingly entertaining!

Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over" tour-sounded exactly like the recordings, spot on EVERYTHING! Quite possibly the best concert I've ever attended.

Asleep At The Wheel with Jason Roberts and Elizabeth McQueen...I've seen AATW multiple times, and although their performances are ALWAYS great, the Wheel with those two was STELLAR!
    Western Swing Ain't Dead, it's Asleep At The Wheel!!!

Chet Atkins when I was a teenager-absolute awe from start to finish! And, I might add, a darn nice guy-got to meet him and get his autograph to boot.

Merle Haggard and The Strangers, 1978. I have been a lifelong fan, but I'll never forget the first time I saw the Hag. That performance made a lasting impression on me, and meeting Roy Nichols was the thrill of a lifetime!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. atk1

atk1 Tele-Meister

Eric Clapton Journeyman Tour
    Eric Clapton From the Cradle Tour
    Pink Floyd at the Shoe in Columbus 1994
    Phish at the Nutter Center Dayton 1997
    Grateful Dead Buckeye Lake 1994
    Furthur at RedRocks in 2013
    Phish at the Gorge in 2009
    My Morning Jacket at Forecastle 2012
    My Morning Jacket Secret Show at Headliners, Lex KY (they debuted their new album) in 2015
    Fare Thee Well in Chicago in 2015

I've seen so many, but these def had a memorable impact. And I'm sure I am forgetting a ton.

3. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Allan Holdsworth / Dixie Dregs - Ripley Music Hall South St. Phila
    Jeff Beck - Spectrum Phila
    Frank Zappa - Spectrum Phila
    Grateful Dead - Raceway Park N.J.
    Jazz is Dead - Keswick Theater Glenside pa

4. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Out of all the acts I have seen which is alot I can honestly say the best shows I have attended were Alice Cooper and Trans Siberian orchestra.

TSO was the most musical and entertaining show I have probably ever attended.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

A couple from when I was young and impressionable:

Pepe Martinez playing modern flamenco. I still don't know how those guys do it

The blues revival concert when it came to the UK in the mid 60s, Skip James, Fred McDowell and others. The top billers, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, weren't as impressive as some of the others, too polished.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Spectrum ?! I have heard Frank and Jeff in that size venue , but usually smaller or with other big acts. Any idea of the time period?

7. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Yes, it was Beck on Oct 8, 1980 and Zappa Oct 23 1978, I saved all my stubs, Another great show was David Gilmour at the Tower Theater with Mick Ralphs as his second guitarist.

8. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Replacements at the Bushnell in Hartford, CT, 1989. Treat Her Right (with pre-Morphine Mark Sandman) was the opening band. I remember at one point Paul Westerburg, the 2nd guitarist and bassist jumping off the stage and performing in the audience. Just wild show. Live rock and roll the way it should be.

Buddy Guy with Koko Taylor, John Mayal (w/ Buddy Whittington on guitar) and Junior Brown as openers, at the Oakdale Theater in Wallingford, CT, circa mid '90's. Junior wasn't even listed on the bill. I had only heard about him so I was psyched to see him. The Oakdale at that time was a theatre in the round and the stage revolved. Junior was first on and had a fun time with that and put in an awesome show. Buddy came on and was on fire! I had seen him before but never like this. He commanded the stage like no one I've seen before or have seen him do since.

Buddy Guy with Johnny Lang and Susan Tedeschi at the Oakdale. Susan was the opener and absolute standout. Just Won't Burn had just come out and I had only just read about her. She and her band tore the place up. The audience was going wild for her and it's the only opening band I've ever seen get a standing ovation. Johnny Lang's band was too slick in comparison and didn't envy them having to follow her.

9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

"New riders of the purple sage"... Phoenix 1975.... Small theater in the round....... Magic night....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.