Concert Standouts You Have Heard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Teleterr, May 14, 2017.

1. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Nope. They're still together. They played Oktoberfest in London, ON this past year. Great show.

For me... well **** it's tough to decide. Probably METZ at the first night of the album release party for their second record II - Lee's Palace in Toronto. Just crazy brutal, noisy, explosive. Insanely powerful live band. Maybe
    Japandroids at Adelaide Hall in Toronto a few years back was excellent as well.
    Or the final Toronto show of the Tragically Hip. They sounded great and it was just so moving with everything going on at the time!

Teleterr likes this.
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I went to college many years ago in Philly. Where's the Keswick at? I saw many great acts at a place called The Electric Factory. It's probably been long gone.

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Its reborn , heard Tull there when Ian's leg was broken. Also the Fripp, Satch, Vai, and Kenny Wayne Sheppard tour . G4? Oddly Kenny performed best within his frame work, no unneeded notes , none left out that shoulda been.Next time at the Showboat he was either drunk or on junk and sucked. The Keswick is north just off the scarey PA pike. 3.5 hr. drive for me each way. Often we stay over and hit New Hope that day or the next, since we're there.

DonM likes this.
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Factory. Forgot Jeff Beck too. The room is so conducive to conversations that there was a din during the quiet pieces.

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I saw the Band 3 times in 5 days in the late '60s, early '70s when they did a tour of small colleges in New England. Each show was incredible. They had ensemble playing down to a science.

Chip and Teleterr like this.
  6. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Have been fortunate enough to see some really good shows, but seeing John Fogerty (twice) was amazing. Absolutely the best sounding shows I've ever heard.

Also The Ramones - just because.

Bob Dylan + Phil Lesh with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.

Dick Dale in an all brick club.
    Holy RrEeVvEeRrBb!!

Teleterr likes this.
  7. Chooglin59

Chooglin59 Tele-Meister

Merle Haggard at the Reo Palm Isle in Longview Texas in 1982. Best show I've ever seen.

Teleterr likes this.
  8. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

Kinks, Santa Barbara County Bowl, ~1980. A show I got free tickets for and wasn't expecting much. What a show!
    Triumph, Tingley Colosseum. Another one of those shows. My sister had an extra ticket. This show sounded like a great stereo. I think it even sounded better than their albums.

Other notables:
    Ozzy, New Years Eve, The Fabulous Forum, Randy Rhodes era.
    Page and Plant, Tingley, Unleded tour, One big sing along.
    G3, Sunken Garden Theater, Maybe it was an off show? But my wife wanted to get closer the the stage!
    Jeff Beck, SB County Bowl, Got to hang out with Jeff and Simon Philips.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Teleterr likes this.
  9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry now I took offense at Okie from Muskogee and crossed him off the listening list.. Listening to Classic Country on NPR 8 pm fri.s , he did some great stuff.

10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very interesting. Glad to hear the Electric Factory is reborn. I saw BB and the Holding Co., Joe Cocker and the original Grease Band, The Youngbloods, and Steppenwolf there. Nice venue for a concert. Steppenwolf's lead guilar player bumped me with his guitar getting up on stage. I believe Hendrix (Experience) played there and I know CS&N did. Ah, the gold old days. Thanks.

Teleterr likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Radio Birdman. Bee Bop and Loo Bar, St Kilda, 1979.

12. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

James Brown, Lone Star Cafe, NYC, 1988
    The Church, NYC, 1990
    Albert Collins, San Francisco, 1991
    Radiohead, Kursal San Sebastian, 2002
    Dave Holland Group, Vitoria, 2007
    Wilco with Nels Cline, Madrid, 2007
    Martin Medeski & Wood, Madrid, 2012

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Teleterr likes this.
  13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Is the Church an actual decommissioned church ? If. so I was there when they were doing a hard rock disco thing. Rolled my pant legs over my knees for AC-DC, but no one in the there-to-be hip crowd got the reference, just got curious what-are-you- doing? reactions.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my 20s - Jesus and Mary Chain at Lolapalooza. Intricate, raw, LOUD. It was at a huge outdoor amphitheater and I was not that close. And I worried for 3 days their beautiful noise had done permanent damage to my ears. thankfully not. It was weird because this was during the heart of grunge. Everyone was there for Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. I was there for the latter two as well. And JAMC and Lush blew my puny college mind.

In my 40s - Wilco at the Riverside. They are so good live, it is almost disheartening. Complete control of complex music, layers and dynamics; polished, but still spontaneous and inventive. And they are having FUN up there. People can claim "dad rock" or whatever. I don't really know wehat that means, but I'll go see them any time.

Teleterr likes this.
  15. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Tom Rush - several times, always superb.

The Samples - around 2002 excellent, now not so good.

Kenny Loggins - 1978 - fantastic band.

Mike Nesmith - a few years ago, great show

Dictators - 1977 - in your face, great stuff.

Teleterr likes this.
  16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

James Brown at the Baltimore Civic Center, September, 1968. The most intense concert imaginable.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. Hop2it

Hop2it Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Marty Stuart last month in Cambridge, Ma. I've been to way too many shows since the late 60's but they have to be one of the
    tightest bands ever. Everything was near perfect. Instruments, vocals, lights and especially sound mix was unbelievable..
    Others that were close- Little Feat (with Lowell George at little basement club in Boston)
    Captain Beefheart, Who, Kinks, Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Dwight Yoakam

garryg99, Humbuster and Teleterr like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, but what alarms me is, I see a new concert that impresses me and it seems to obliterate my recollections of 2 or more shows from years' past.

Makes me not want to go.

My regret is not keeping a diary on these concerts. Just that, some of them are so impromptu, and there's sometimes no time for reflection thereafter.

I kept a detailed dairy on my big days, whitewater kayaking, including the names of companions, river levels, and it really helped cement the experience.

Ricky D. and Teleterr like this.
  19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Glad to see Mike Nesmith has been mentioned so many times Never heard him live , but I m glad he had acceptance post Monkees..

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Miles Davis in Boston at the Jazz Workshop and Lenny's on the Turnpike, 1969-1970. These are nightclubs. You paid your $5 cover at the door and picked out a table. We always went early and sat about six feet from the band.

I'll never forget Lenny's. Laurence Killian and Mtume on congas, Keith Jarrett playing a Fender organ and a Rhodes (set up at right angles and wah-wahs), Michael Henderson (J-bass and an Acoustic 360!), and a drummer and soprano sax player whose names I missed.

Killian and Mtume come out and start adjust their equipment, tweaking the head tuning, etc. Jarret wanders out, moves the Rhodes 1/4", playing with amp settings, gives Henderson a note to check tuning... Just random noises, then out of nowhere there is this groove being laid down. A hard, driving, burning groove. It starts getting stronger and stronger, driving harder and harder... Davis takes the stage. Shakes his trumpet at the conga players. Walks over to Jarrett and goes eyeball-to-eyeball at 6" away for about thirty seconds. Goes to center stage, up comes the trumpet, and he just f****g blows the roof off the place. Dark, twisted, driving, burning. Incredible energy.

He was there all week, we went back three more nights.

Humbuster, Teleterr and Teleka like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.