Concert Standouts You Have Heard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Teleterr, May 14, 2017.

1. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Saw that same tour in San Diego. Had no idea who ELP were: I had gone because Bo Diddley was supposed to open with Delaney and Bonnie (?!). Bo cancelled, but I decided to stay instead of getting a refund, and had no clue what I was getting into. Quite something, for sure.

Teleterr likes this.
  2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Saw Blood, Sweat, and Tears back in the early 70s. They were so good live it was hard to listen to their recordings afterwards.
    Moody Blues also put on a great live concert.

Teleterr likes this.
  3. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rolling Stones 1972, 4th of July in Wash., DC ; Exile on Main Street tour. Stevie Wonder was the opening act.

I've seen a ton of concerts ( pretty much everybody I've ever wanted to see) over the years, but this one was special. Mick Taylor was on fire.

Henry and Teleterr like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never knew Tom Cochran fronted Red Rider. I always get them confused with the guys that did Sister Christian. Night Ranger or something like that.

Teleterr likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The Rolling Stones- mid 70's.
    Adelaide Oval ( lawn tennis court section actually).

Not just a concert- a real experience.

Teleterr likes this.
  6. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

First weekend on campus in September 1980 Flo & Eddie played the Jab. Two shows, early and late, except the early show got cancelled. So my buddy & I got there 2 hours early for the late show and proceeded to get flamingly drunk. To the point where I had to get him out 10 minutes into the set so he wouldn't barf on Flo's shoes.

God, I miss the Jab.

Teleterr likes this.
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Have been to some great concerts but Bonnie Raitt opening for Little Feat at a nightclub in Pittsburgh in 1972 was the most memorable ever. Venue held about 300 people. Sat at the bar with Feat bass player Kenny Gradney during Bonnie's set.

brookdalebill and Teleterr like this.
  8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Like most, I've been to many, many fabulous shows over the years; so I won't name a whole lot of 'em. One I particularly remember for it being just transcendent was seeing Roy Orbison in 1988. It was 3 days before he died, and while we of course we had no way of knowing that, we knew it was a special night from the first song. He and his band and singers were on fire, and the audience was completely in tune with everything he did - I have rarely ever seen a performer and crowd in sync like that. He played at a now-defunct club in Boston called the Channel, which had a lot of local punk shows and had the clientele you'd expect. It was fascinating to see 70-year-old women standing next to 20-year-olds with green mohawks - and everyone grinning from ear-to-ear; all for love of Roy. I'll never forget it.

9. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

saw Dr feelgood several times with wilko Johnson always fantastic saw the jam many times always fantastic.ive seen hawkwind put on some brilliant shows but the show that totally blew me away was ZZTOP on the eliminator tour unbelievable played for 3 hours solid

Teleterr likes this.
  10. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

The Sir Douglas Quintet, early 1980's at Center Stage East Providence RI. The club held maybe 800 people, seemed to be about 100 people there. Doug absolutely KILLED IT!! I'm so lucky to have been there. "It was fun while it lasted, it was fun while it lasted. Gee we really got blasted, it was fun while it lasted".

4 Cat Slim and Teleterr like this.
  11. wrk2321

wrk2321 TDPRI Member

2 favorites, I saw ac/dc open for Alice Cooper.

Teleterr likes this.
  12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah,I ve heard it. Good song. First time thought it was some Pink Fred song I missed till the vocal came in. ...Heard Pat and Neil recently at the Keswick in Philly. They cant play there anymore, the Keswick is tired of replacing the roof.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    DonM likes this.
  13. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Was Jaco w them ? My Yes monitors friend was there when he came in for an audition. Their former bass was gone the next day.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Saw Metallica last night at MetLife Stadium. They still have it. Super tight show, the new songs are pretty good, but the classics still scream.

Saw Guns n Roses last summer at the same venue, killed it on a nearly four hour set. They went on shortly after 9pm, and started their closer at 12:41am.

Teleterr likes this.
  15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Any classic act " Heres something off our new album " you to your friends " you want a beer too?" There are exceptions

Chud likes this.
  16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’ve seen far too many. One where people perhaps instinctively responded in a positive and light hearted manner was Fairport Convention in 1970 at the Philadelphia Folk Festival. A large group of us suddenly formed a circle holding hands and started dancing round and round like Druids or something. It was a lot of fun.

Pink Floyd when they toured for Dark Side of the Moon. How could you not be impressed? At the Spectrum.

Martin Sexton performing solo a few years ago at the Avalon Theater in Easton MD. He’s bigger than life when performing. You just have to see it.

Santana at the old Electric Factory in Philly 1969 I think. Unbelievable.

I’ve seen ELP several times back in the Spectrum days. They were always great shows.

Teleterr likes this.
  17. olewaylon

olewaylon TDPRI Member

Neil Young 2003 @ Bonnaroo

Love that I can re watch the show on YouTube.

"Neil Young and Crazy Horse were just one week into their 2003 summer tour when they arrived at Bonnaroo. Their rock opera Greendale was still two months away from arriving in stores, but that hadn't stopped them from playing the entire thing to baffled crowds all over the country. The earliest shows featured all of Greendale (complete with actors portraying the characters) and a scant three or four old songs at the end. To say that some people left dissatisfied would be a real understatement.

Realizing that this kind of show might go over even worse at Bonnaroo, Young ditched Greendale for the festival and played a blazing 12-song set of classics instead. They opened with a jaw-dropping, 20-minute rendition of "Love to Burn," and things just got better from there. "Cortez the Killer," "Sedan Delivery" and "Down By the River" (which lasted 17 minutes) were particularly amazing. Bonnaroo co-founder Jonathan Mayers says it's one of his favorite moments in the history of the festival. Here's the complete two hour and twenty minute set."

-RollingStone

18. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Wasnt he sued for not being the Neil Young that was expected?lol, Guess it didn't stop im. Go Neil....My girlfriend got us Heart tickets for the Theme Dreams album tour EXCEPT all the hits weren't hits yet . Opening of the tour everybody went "eh ". They added the same venue to the tail end everyone went " Yeah"!.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Dead at RFK..Huge Flag , biggest made, 50 people held the sides parallel to the ground so we could lie underneath and cool off as we waved it.Everyone just rotated from waver to cooler and back again .

20. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Wow! So many. CSNY (early). Al DiMeola! Lee Ritenour!

Teleterr, brookdalebill and Mjark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.