Concert Standouts You Have Heard

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Teleterr, May 14, 2017.

1. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

King Crimson- 1981
    Showbox Theater, Seattle
    Just after the release of "Discipline"
    Place held maybe 300 people. My buddy and I were front/center with our thighs pressed up against the (low) stage.
    Fripp, Belew, Bruford and Levin ripped our heads off.
    Show started with "Elephant Talk", crowd began bouncing to the rhythm, and the floor started flexing up and down (there was a basement below). Didn't let up 'till the end.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

NO!!! Your puttin us on! If not tell us more.

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Aw thats just talk. Sit down and play your guitar....Love Bobby and the boys.Was at a concert in Providence RI during the Red era thats now on CD.Caught the Discipline tour myself at Merriweather Post. Your 100% right thats a band and a half. Have you heard Stickmen?

papa32203 likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Every pink floyd concert from Ummagumma to dark side ( eclipse) tour Echoes , wish you were here, etc , saw Yes about 10 times , but the absolute best was when Yes was the back up fot Jethro Tull, and speaking of Tull every concert up to Passion play, Alice Cooper Killer , Doctor John the night tripper with John Hammond, Moody Blues in Deer lake park outdoor concert,ELP several times,Jeff beck blue wind tour, Johnny Winter, Jeff Healey ( I did sound for him at the Yale hotel with Big Joe duskin and Jack lavin and the wailin demons ), The tubes, what a great band!

Concerts Ive worked
    ZZtop, Jason Boham, John fogerty , Heart, Black crowes, Collective soul ,Kiss, Jaynes addiction , Hedley, Alice Cooper, Billy Talent, Actionaughts, DOA, Dayglo abortions, Jeff healey, Bob Dylan, there more I just cant think of right now

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yeah sometimes seeing adds a lot . Nine Inch Nails Spiral tour was unbelievable somehow theyd be playing in a desert one second, a sea the next.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Mike and Elvin! wow ! Woodstock version played my University.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Cool.Please tell some behind the scene stories. My friend did stage monitors for 90210 lol Yes tour so we got a tour of the sound mans nightmare aluminum stage... Tull a favorite . Benefit first tour heard. Andersons exactly the same on stage now as then.No nostaga there.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Nice. Is he a played w Zappa Fowler ?

9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nope.

http://bernardfowler.com

He is a backup signer for the Stones, and also does his own music.

10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Riders of the purple sage, Hendrix, zz top opening for the stones, led Zeppelin, doors, airplane, CCR. Moody blues, Pink Floyd... Dark side tour, Tom Petty... I've lived a good life.....

Henry and brookdalebill like this.
  11. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

"Talk, talk, it's only talk......Elephant Talk."

I am playing my guitar!

I have heard Stickmen- awesome. I started out as a bass player. Guys with talent like Tony Levin turned me to the guitar. Now I'm lousy at that, too.

12. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Genesis
    Third row center
    Paramount Theater in Seattle 1977
    "Seconds Out" Concert (Wind and The Wuthering Tour)
    Wow.

Saw Steve Hackett a couple months ago here in Scottsdale. He was great.

Dismalhead likes this.
  13. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Love that you have Cry Of Love in your best shows. I'm partial to them as they're local boys. Audley is a monster player and Kelly's vocals were smoking!

14. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

Lots of Zappa shows and many others but standout was Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells II at Carnegie hall was a great show. He must have had thirty guitars on stage and I think he played them all, plus tubular bells.

15. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

That was '83, great show. Got me to join the concert board which lead to a job in the biz. Saw/worked some great shows at block party, Fishbone opening up and showing up the RHCP was amazing.
    Walk a block east and there was the Jab. Little 300 and change night club that had some cool shows. Steve Morse on his first post Dregs tour, amazing. Closed in April 85 with a week of fun. John Hammond Jr with Jr. Wells. Roger McQuinn opening for Jorma and There Goes the Neighborhood. Thursday was James Brown with Maceo on sax. Last night was JJ Cale and then Bernie Worrell.
    Really miss the days when Syracuse University was the largest concert board on the east coast and had great shows.

MisterZ likes this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Certain celebs are allusive , Dylan for one he had a circle of guys around him and all we saw were his cowboy hat and his nose, but the first thing off the first truuck was a 6 foot high by 6 foot wide road case placed behind the stage 10 min later the engineer came out and plugged it in about 20 min later he came out and opened it up it was a tim Hortons coffee maker , a starbucks cappachino maker and a fridge full of water , juice, pop , gator ade courtesay of Bob, for the crew . we set up 4 hrs faster than in Vancouver and he gave us bonuses,
    Alice Cooper came out and shook EVERYONES hand and thanked them personally for the show , a real gent,
    Dusty hill came off the Buss and was really allusive but friendly ,
    I told the drum guy at the Kiss concert , "that when you are done pissing around with that drum kit to load it into my pick up truck and drive it to my house" he muttered some explicative about a sexual position I might occupy , then started to laugh, It was Eric Singer the drummer for Kiss, he made a point of comming to talk to me after the set up , A very cool guy! I had my picture taken about a 1000 times during the set up appearently there is a photo book about the concert tour ( I havent seen it yet)
    Toby Kieth was twit his stage manager was one as well, But I did get to work with Sammy Bones the guitar Tech for that show, and also for Cinderella. during the show I did cable pull for the camera guy so I got to see the whole concert from the front pit.
    Black Crowes I met Kate Hudson what a cutie and really nice that was a fun show.
    Heart I was Anne Wilson's spot light operator
    Although I have heard different Allen Jackson was fun to work for and he was nice to us.
    Matt Mayes and Torpedo was cool to work for
    Jeff Healley was super nice guy and a real person.
    Some of the punk rock stuff I did was a real treat and an expirience ( I had my shirt lit on fire during the performance then the guy who did it got mad because I grabbed his beer to put it out and he didnt have any more money to buy any more beer)

Its a lot of fun to do these gigs but really long days 07:00 AM to about 02:30 am some times
    I respect the celebrity and its a tough gig night after night , thats why Bob Dylan only tours for about 3-4 weeks at a time

codamedia likes this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Too many shows, too many great memories.

Every now and then someone says "what is the best concert you have ever seen" and there is one that stands out like no other... partially because it was unexpected! The Little River Band, about 10 - 12 years ago in a local bar! I went to see if they could really sing.... and with a handful of original members remaining they put on a show I will never forget! They sang like the records, they played like the records, and in a bar that is notoriously horrible sounding... they SOUNDED like the records. Some of the best musicians and techs I have ever seen live!

I've had the pleasure of working with those guys on many stages over the years. Great guys, great music!

But 1987 was the first... we opened a festival stage for them. It was late on a Saturday night, about 100 degrees outside. With a beer in my hand (and a few in my body) I was standing near the sound board when they said they were going to try something new on us! Normally that's the time to find the outhouse.... this time it was just the perfect setting for "Fishing In the Dark". I will never forget hearing that chug of the drop D acoustic for the first time in that setting! I knew immediately I had just heard what would certainly become a classic. Absolutely magical!

Henry likes this.
  18. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Peter Frampton opening up for Santana just months before "Frampton Comes Alive" was released.

19. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I'm surprised by this...

I saw Jeff Becks "Who's Else" tour and enjoyed it thoroughly...
    Either a bad night, or different expectations I guess!

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  20. GuitarsAndCars

GuitarsAndCars TDPRI Member

Yes!! It was a super cool show in one of those old smoky basement 100 seat rock room which don't seem to exist anymore. I quit smoking years ago so don't miss that part.

They came out after the show and were super nice, had a couple of beers and talked to us. I always thought they should have hit it really big, but I think timing was just against them. It was the beginning of grunge and the Black Crowes had a bit of head start on them. I don't think they ever got the exposure that they deserved.

6stringcowboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.