Concert promotions and old timer bands.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mad Kiwi, Jun 16, 2019.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

And she is a full member of her writing team. She's not like Elvis or Frank Sinatra, who didn't write their songs.

2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Right, yeah she writes her own stuff. I'm not a fan but I can respect that for sure.

3. kelnet

Sure, but they're on tour and active. Their music was impactful and genre-changing, and they've become cultural icons in their time, and are much more recently relevant than Ray Charles or Johnny Cash, despite what the old-timers on this forum think.

trev333 and Greg_L like this.
  4. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

They're all brands. The old timers who are still getting out on tour are brands - Rolling Stones is a fantastic strong brand any CEO would aspire to.
    But there is the rest of music, the non-corporate, the DIY, the club bands.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Kinda what I was trying to say: I think U2 themselves (though I'm not the huge fan of much past their real early work) have sort of reached that point...that once they are gone there won't be anyone to really fill their shoes...some bands that have come along since (Coldplay maybe, who cite U2 as one of their three major influences along with The Cure and REM) that are certainly huge, but they are also concurrent with U2.

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Bands like U2 get so big that they become their own thing. Their own genre, even. They're immune to the whims of fans and the pitfalls of being a part of the industry. I can see U2 sticking around forever like the Stones simply because they can, even if their best work was more than half a century ago.

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

But will they be looked back on and gigging in 10, 20 or more years? I doubt it, I think the ‘stayers’ will be what us current oldies consider to be music. Always the way. One, maybe two, trend setting bands, punk, ska or whatever, survive among fans of a particular genre. A little like what we look back on as classic rock today, Deep Purple, LZ. But tge stuff that everyone remembers, and get’s played at discos and concerts that Mad Kiwi refers to, will be Blondie, Spice Girls, or, from earlier, CCR, you know the type. Nothing wrong with that at all, I think it always was and always will be. Even in classical music, real aficionados know the more obscure stuff, everyone who has even a vague knowledge of tge genre knows the 1812 and Water Music.................

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

blondie,spice girls,creedence? one of these things is not like the others.

9. kelnet

All of them are not like the other.

10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

CCR has no women.

11. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Too bad you were born 20 years too late ;)

12. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Together with a couple of mates who jammed covers and occasional originals once a week at one of our houses we tossed around recording our originals to leave to our families rather than piles of paper with words on them, all of us had been active in the industry since the 1960s and writing all the time so there is a massive amount of stuff to work through.

We are all 70+ and possibly feeling our mortality a bit.

Anyway, long story short late in 2017 we set about it and have released our 1st CD which is on all digital retail platforms as well as Bandcamp, via our website hard copy CDs can be purchased and we run them off at home to order so there is no massive outlay anywhere in the system.

This is our first attempt at home recording / mixing / producing and while I hear things that I will do differently on future albums we are pretty happy with the outcome.

Album No.2 is well on the way and we have another 30 or 40 songs in at least project stage with backings down and guide vocals recorded

Check out the link in my sig.

Website since I can't have two links in my sig. https://www.nevertoolate.net.au/

Live the dream

Mad Kiwi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.