Concert promotions and old timer bands.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mad Kiwi, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

So do you think the age of Stadium size concerts will also go?

2. Rumblur

Rumblur TDPRI Member

No. Due to the "me too's" and peer pressure of social media, there will be lots of people who go to events and do things simply to get a selfie and check-in there.

Next time you watch a clip of the Grammys, watch the hip hop types bob their head to Brad Paisley... then watch the country types bob their head to the hippy hoppers or metal. It's not because they like it - it's because they want to be seen as "cool" and get social media attention.

But stadium concerts for the joy and appreciation of the actual music? No, that died years ago. Clapton's Crossroads events, are still a draw for music lovers but as you said - all old timers and classic acts. Newbies couldn't draw houseflies to a place like that.

GuitarKid likes this.
  3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, that's one opinion. Doesn't make it true.

boop and Greg_L like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The State Fairs would shut down, entertainment-wise, if not for the classic rock and other old bands.

5. Rumblur

Rumblur TDPRI Member

here's the trend that bothers me the most - nobody seems to craft a song anymore. Sure, lots of people rhyming rat with cat and G-C-D type stuff. Everybody is doing covers of old stuff. And lots of acts are covering the same covers which is really sad. This is especially bad in the blues genre.

Have all the great licks been played and no one can come up with anything original? Dunno.

My theory is, back in the day life was simple and somewhat empty as far as entertainment. So true musicians, people that were born to do it, did it all the time... and of those times, through much work and effort came up with great music.

These days with all the social media, 500 tv channels, a blockbuster movie coming out every 5 minutes, traffic is insane, life is so different. The elements are just not there for nurturing greatness. It's like growing tomatoes in the desert.

I've been a musicologist for a long time, and I am so thankful I lived to at least see the last great boom of the 1983-1992 era. A blip here and there since then, but no movement or renaissance.

I wish I were wrong.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

That audience is also an aging demographic.

7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yes.

8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

It's an interesting topic.
    I would humbly suggest that there is more good music now than there ever was, including guitar music. I just don't have enough time to hear it all.
    And a wider scope, too. More varied, less blues-based.
    The big movements, like punk, were social not musical. The music followed the social groups, and that has been a declining, fragmenting thing.
    And with respect, a musicologist who hasn't heard anything great since 1992 ? You need to get out more :rolleyes: (Over here in the UK the biggest thing in 88-92 was Rave and electronic dance music). The obvious development to quote would be Hip Hop. Jazz has got a new lease of life lately, being played by a lot of talented young musicians.
    This is also a very western perspective, other parts of the world have very different scenes too.

slauson slim and Greg_L like this.
  9. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And sorry Rumblur, but anyone who dislikes Steely Dan? Probably not going to align with my tastes anyway (which is just fine of course). So, "musicologist" notwithstanding I feel that you are stating an opinion as fact. Which I never do, LOL o_O:lol::p

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think things can swing back but I think the horses have left the barn in terms of the "big record industry machine".

Hip Hop and EDM are on the top of the heap right now but they're ripe for disruption.

I don't think Hip Hop and EDM are nearly as good as they were in the past, no different than disco back in the day before it died. EDM is really Disco 2.0 IMO anyway. You listen to Kanye and Beyonce and such and they are nowhere near as authentic & innovative as some of the artists in their genre 20-30 years ago. Most EDM is so repetitive you can find tutorial webpages on how to craft all the cliche bits of the songs in whatever DAW you like to use. I've been listening to it for about 20-25 years now and it's gotten so bad you can hear the cliche bits of the EDM songs come in and predict when they're going to happen, even if you've never heard the song before.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Interesting question... I don't really go to stadium shows anymore (I think the last one I attended was Tool/Meshuggah in 2004 or so IIRC) but I imagine an oversimplified answer might be that yes, there are enough popular, mainstream acts to 'replace' the Rolling Stones, ACDC and the like (not that anyone here is suggesting anything can replace those classic rock icons), but no, not in the context of guitar based music.

Thinking about your point of view makes me realize how much I take for granted in that I can pretty much go to any number of small/medium/large clubs within 100 miles and see "big" American rock bands I like, but if I lived in New Zealand I would only have access to American bands that have the capability to tour internationally.

I know a few bands local to me who have self-promoted or organized with a small label to do shows in small clubs across Europe, but none are stadium-fillers... of course most of the music I listen to is by bands and musicians who might never play a stadium show ever!

How is the club scene in NZ?

12. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Heh... but I thought for dance music that's a good thing? I think I know what you mean though. Trance music in the 90s felt like that for me too.

13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yeah, the two comments in this one sentence contradict each other.

14. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

There are lots of great new songs out there.

slauson slim likes this.
  15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

History suggests that a richness of artistic creativity comes around about every four generations. The last one was 1957 - 1977 (ish). The next one should start around 2045.

An interesting read:

4th.jpg

Mad Kiwi and Greg_L like this.
  16. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Sad truth is, sometimes we lose someone and there is NOBODY that can or will fill those shoes.

There is no replacement for Johnny Cash.

No replacement for Ray Charles.

No replacement for Willie when he goes.

No replacement, really, for the folks you mentioned above. Most are just...unique. Icons.

Something...some bands and artists will sweep in and fill the gaps to a degree...the voids left when, say, The Stones finally call it quits. But it won't be The Stones, or likely anything like them.

Time rolls on, the world keeps spinning...

There will always be room for guitar-based rock and roll though, I believe.

I think the Way of the Future is just more and more DIY. Forget about big label deals. You have to do your own promotion, book your own shows, generate your own audience to a much larger degree these days, in my opinion.

17. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Way of the future? That's the way of right now and has been for the past 10-15 years or so.

18. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

True. Would have been more accurate for me to have said "The way it's become, and will likely remain going forward."

Heck even back in the early 80s punk bands were totally DIY. Even a band as "big" (in those circles) back then like Black Flag had their own label and criss-crossed the country in a van (with rats stenciled all over it) playing in little sweaty clubs, managing themselves and handling everything.

19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yes. Exactly. We can still learn a lot from the punk ethos. Not only did Black Flag go out and do it themselves, they networked and paved the way for a lot of other bands to follow in those footsteps. They played places that no one really goes to, and that left the doors open to allow other bands to go in and do the same. They spoke to people that were hungry for it and eager to share because that kind of music appeals to a sense of community. We know these bands very well even to this day without one single shred of help from at-the-time mainstream radio or MTV. That was true, pure DIY. Bands can still do that.

richiek65 likes this.
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nothing wrong with DIY since so much of the recording gear is within reach for DIY these days. It's not like 20-30+ years ago where the big studio with tons of gear really made everything work and if you didn't go that path the record was destined to sound like a garage band recording.

Greg_L likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.