1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Concept Idea for new Reissue Amps.....Calling all TDPRI Members!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by The-Kid, Dec 31, 2019.

Reissue Plus. Reissues with modern Features

This poll will close on Nov 30, 2021 at 5:39 AM.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

This.

But I actually traded my Super Sonic 60 in for the Princeton. Features or no featueres its dope.

Just thought it would be cool if they listen and make something like what Im describing. Pretty much the same as a 65 but with these three features.

Not giving up on it but just want to see if others would be down for these too.
    Good support so far to be honest much more than I was really expecting.

Sounds great on paper and in my head.

Would be cool

2. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I do like your enthusiasm Kid.

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Thanks man.

And thanks to all the others who participated.

Will come back and see what up tommorow after a hard days work today. Look forward to putting in a hard days....

But thanks to yall and talking and shoting the...you know.

Agree or disagree good stuff guys.

Cheers

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I haven't read any of this thread. I'm just here to point out the problem with the intentional mis-choice of sub-forum :)

The-Kid likes this.
  5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

If I needed those features, I'd prefer outboard gear that I could use with any of my amps rather than being locked into one particular circuit.

nojazzhere, NewKid and The-Kid like this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I used to think I had to have an FX loop. I haven't missed it yet. If an FX loop is introduced, make it solid state, make it level adjustable, make it blendable, offer series/parallel options, make it bypassed until wanted. Solid state not for cost options, but to offer a wholly transparent loop.

As for a D.I., there are plenty of modern amps that offer D.I. facilities, and they vary from top notch to why bother. Would it be pre or post power stage D.I. Would it offer cab emulations?. Hughes & Kettner fit the ( frankly awesome ) RedBox D.I. to some of their amps. It would need to be as good as that to tempt me. I'll stick with my current D.I. for now. It sits between the speaker out and cab inline. It does a good job, the cab emulation sounds good through F.O.H or even direct to a recording interface. It's transferable between amps too.

Adding a master volume -may- be of interest. I'm not fond of the method of reducing output by lowering voltages presented to B+. Some people like it, some don't, some don't care. I like my attenuator and load box. It's post output transformer, so you get the good stuff happening as the transformer saturates. Even better ones have a voice coil to vary the impedance by frequency. Although not a classic circuit, there are some amps with such a device fitted. Tone King ( I think ) is one range.

I prefer my outboard gear and my amps to have as few features as possible.

NewKid and The-Kid like this.
  7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I want a reissue Tiny Terror

The-Kid likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Hahaahha

This

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Why would you want an fx loop in a vintage single channel amp?

NewKid likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

NOPE. Please build a simple hand wired tube amp with ZERO effects. Now days everyone has effects on their pedal board anyway. All that digi stuff just makes for unreliable, throw away amps.
    JMHO

nojazzhere, Nick Fanis and NewKid like this.
  11. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

The-Kid likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My Bandmate has a 1960 Tremolux that he never plays. He brought it to practice for the first time in about three years last week.

Otherwise it sits in his damp basement.

He set it up on the chair and proceeded to plug his crappy pedal board into it.

I literally told him “you are not worthy of that amp”.

A really good delay pedal? Very good reverb pedal? One super boutique distortion/dirt/overdrive pedal?

maybe

I would’ve been less disgusted with him had he brought a boss katana 50. At least it is what it is.

13. schmee

My buddy has one of those, he really likes it. Then again, he has a lot of amps... :>) If you look at how complex a DR circuit is. Then look at how dead simple the same amp is with no effects it's amazing. Fender spent a tone of time and changes to get the reverb circuit half way quiet.
    All the stuff inside the red goes away in a DR with no effects:
    [​IMG]

14. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

Wow, good point. I wasn't thinking about the traditional handwired tube trem and reverb as "effects", but they sure are. It is hard to really match them with pedals and digi stuff though.

15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What DI are you using? I am in the hunt for a DI to run to my recording interface.

16. schmee

Strangely, I now use a pedal for Tremelo instead of the Fender footswitch. It seems to stay cleaner in the band mix. I love the Fender Trem at home, but in a 5 piece band mix, or venue room it seems to get garbly etc. The little pedal stays in the mix well. Not to mention dealing with the fender footswitch, rigid wire etc on stage.

17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Mod a DRRI with an attenuator, FX loop, DI, and see how many orders you get for this amp.

Isn’t that what Jim Marshall did with his Fender amp?

Getting people to say they want one is just for fun.

The-Kid and nojazzhere like this.
  18. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

"Many gigs I need to be able to carry my amp and guitars several city blocks. It’s the funnest part!"

Uh...why not DRIVE it? If it is a ? of parking, drop it off first & THEN go park.

My problem with new amps is that I HATE circuit boards. They are hard to service & mod, & they just don't seem to have the tone that point to point amps have. My '65 Twin re-issue was a POS tone wise; couldn't wait to dump it. Other problem is with amps that are "Made in Mexico". The tin content of the solder they use there is different, and the cheap PCB boards expand too fast, breaking solder joints. My "Hecho en Mexico" HRD failed so many times & I hadda re-solder tube sockets every few gigs.
    Fix these 2 issues & that's all you'll need.

Mike Simpson and The-Kid like this.
  19. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've been using a Behringer Ultra-G ( I do laugh at how everything is Ultra... ) for guitar for a while now, with an Ultra-DI for pretty much everything else.

They're active D.I. that can cope with line level or speaker level and can be powered by phantom or a 9V battery. The Ultra-G has switchable cab emulation, which is meant to sound like a 4x12". It doesn't. It does sound very good though. Through front of house, with the P.A. speakers doing the lifting, it does sound every bit as good as a mic'd cab to the audience, which is a neat trick.

A D.I. seems to add something to the signal that a straight interface lacks. Je n'ais ce quoi, but there it is. Plus, they're a boon when you can turn up, plug into the stage box and have your Champ-a-like head + 1x10" belting out without farting around with mics. Sound guys ( and gals ) love 'em, and the Behringer is up to the task for the penurious.

Whether Behringer or not, I heartily recommend an active D.I. to add to your toolbox. Once you start using them, you'll wonder why you went so long without. Look for one that features a transformer too. Transformers imbue sonic magic :)

The-Kid and gregulator450 like this.
  20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.