1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Concept Idea for new Reissue Amps.....Calling all TDPRI Members!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by The-Kid, Dec 31, 2019.

Reissue Plus. Reissues with modern Features

This poll will close on Nov 30, 2021 at 5:39 AM.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

I voted “no” purely based on what I have/would buy. I bought re-issues as they are as close to the originals as I can get with without buying vintage. If I need an effects loop, I have a Supersonic 22 that I can use. If I need an attenuator, I can buy one and use it any amp. I don’t need DI.
    Hope this helps you get a balanced viewpoint,
    Cheers

The-Kid likes this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Its not an exact reissue but in the concept if you take out the features youd essentially just have a 65 RI Twin, Deluxe, or Princeton.

So its going to be the amp chassis and parts of the of the regular PRRI, DRRI and TRRI amps but with the added features I mentioned located in the back.

Same amount of knobs just one extra one in the back functioning as Master/Attenuator. So its not complicated and easy to use.

The features included in the back would be as follows

1. Master Volume/Attenuator

2. FX Loop

3. DI for recording

Now I repeat, the concept would be using the same chassis and parts of the RI but with added features, I call it the "65 Reissue Plus" but I know in essence it wouldnt be a reissue because deviating from original spec.....

But whatever you want to call it this is essentially the concept.

Not for you I understand but its pretty straight forward and easy to understand no?

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've never been on Strat-Talk....is this the way threads operate over there?
    Brow-beating, badgering, hammering on your idea incessantly? Generally, here at TDPRI, someone will start with their premise, and then let the members here weigh in, without the OP coming back with arguments and justifications every other post. Whatizitman had the best single reply.....go back and read his post like a mantra until you get it.
    I see you're 29 years old.....and I hate to sound disrespectful.....but you simply don't have the perspective some of us have to even begin to understand our comments. I was EXACTLY the same way when I was your age. Amp weight meant NOTHING to me then.(I played a Super Reverb, and bandmates had massive Kustom 3X15" cabs, a Hammond organ and a Leslie tone cabinet)) Back then, I actually believed that more features in an amp or guitar would make me a better player. I even got frustrated with other people when they didn't immediately understand and AGREE with me when I made a suggestion for some improvement in something. Like it or not, the way our world works is....if you have an idea for a "better mousetrap", YOU build it and wait for the world to beat a path to your door. There are a million great ideas out there that will never get off the ground.....NOT because they lack public consensus, but because no one is willing to put their money behind it. When you do that, THEN we'll see if people support your efforts. And I wish you good luck. ;)

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I use a mic for recording. I don't use an effects loop. Fender tried master vol amps in the past. They were not well received IIRC. For me the answer is no. (I would like an AC out on my DRRI. :)) I can tell you are on a MISSION, The-Kid. Good luck.

NewKid, nojazzhere and The-Kid like this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Im really not here to be disrespectful or bash or anything. I already responded to whatizitman and respect and appreciate his opinion as well as yours.

Im just here cuz I like playing and thought it to be a good idea. If you read my post you can see I own a Reissue and I love it and wouldnt trade it for anything.

I am not doing this because I think it would make me a better player if they made one and I bought it....or to trash on vintage amps

Im just doing it because I think its cool and if I find this much pleasure in a stock version. I imagine with my mind one with these features mentioned to be that much better if possible. Mainly for the FX Loop and Attenuator...dont record much to be honest but thought it would be a nice idea for those that do.

Im just here because I like music and I love playing and I hope to find others that do as well wether we agree on a subject or not, that doesnt make us enemies. It just makes us different.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1967 Princeton Reverb, but also a Carr Skylark. The Carr is based loosely on the Fender Harvard but with reverb and an attenuator. I love that feature and looked for it because the conventional wisdom is that MV controls kill tone.

But I used to own a Vox AC4 with volume and gain knobs. I now think the gain knob was really a volume knob and the volume knob was really a master volume control. I never thought that the volume knob was a tone suck. So either I am missing something, or master volume controls are not that bad.

In any case, it has always surprised me that with so many players buying amps to play at home, that Fender hasn't found a way to attenuate the volume so that you can get some of these popular amps' natural driven tone at home. Instead, everyone I know with a 10-15 watt amp at home just uses pedals for a driven sound. Can you imagine if Fender added a Tube Screamer circuit and labeled the knob "gain". People would go crazy saying those solid state components killed the tone!

The-Kid likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

First of all, if you want an attenuator and DI, you can buy an external box and use it by connecting it to the speaker output. No mods needed, and such a device is available, made by different manufacturers.

Now if you want a master volume, you have to mod the amp. For the FX loop you have to decide if you want tube or solid-state, and you have to introduce a way to switch it out if you want to preserve the original sound of the amp.

And Fender amps don't always have the best distortion, so the master volume would be a waste on some amps, unless you add extra circuitry.

At this point you may as well add a mids control to the amps that don't have it. That's a very easy mod.

The-Kid likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Some Riveras were like that no

And HRD have MV and well its one of the highest selling amps in the world.

I know it may not have worked in the past with some models as Ive tried some Rivera Red Knobs and agree...and this was before they came back solid with the 65 RIs.but its 2019 soon on being 2020....

I think they can figure it out with how far they come since the 80s and those old riveras.

I get it man. But alot of players think it to be a good idea over at Strat Talk and well now here to see if I can hopefully garner more support.

Not everyone will agree but if enough of us do well it may be taken under cosiderstion and well thats worth a shot even if they dont make them.

Thanks for the input man. Really no bad or good. Just guys at a hot stove having a conversation keeping company

And that part...that part is good :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  9. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

Some may correct me but in my experience adding an effects loop would require either another tube or op amps for buffering so the change isn't trivial.

radiocaster likes this.
  10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Not something I personally feel I would benefit from, so I wouldn't be replacing my DRRI with that.

My uninformed opinion (really just a guess) is that while this new amp might appeal to some players, given the added retail price over a regular DRRI, the market for this amp would be so small that it wouldn't be worth the expense to Fender.

11. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Aint nobody got time for that....

Just make it give it over here!!!

Jk but yeah.

Wouldnt do all that and again no. Tone masters use the Master attenuator like a charm to do exactly what you say they cant accomplish huge levels of gain and od at lower volumes.

Heres shane doing just that. Still loud but wouldnt be possible to get that tone at that volume without the MV. Not sure where he switches wattage but hes pretty gainy all throughout.

Would Imagine a RI with such feature would do much the same and sound even more fantastic.

Also I aint ganna butcher my RI to do any of that. I either get it factory with updates or I dont.

Aint no one got time for that man and let alone going through butchering a perfectly good RI.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

tell that to guys who end up buying a Orange, Mesa Or Marshall and dont even consider Fenders because thet dont have a Flagship with these features.

Somehow Mesa and the others that do carry amp with these features are surviving a flouroushing.

I really dont agree with your here.

They manage to make an Eric Clapton Champ for 5k and and The Edge Tweed whatever the hell for stupid cash. Theres a market for that...

And as said whatever customers overlook Fenders for lack of features just go elsewhere and spend money Fender could get, somewhere else.

You have a point but not a strong one and I do believe there may be a market for such top dollar amps.

13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Sorry, but the reissues that exist are already overpriced. All of these things you are wanting to add are available in other amps. As for your comment about “not trusting an amp that wasn’t Fender factory” I can guarantee you the little guy building one amp at a time is going to put way more effort into making a more reliable amp than one comes off an assembly line.

jh

14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Personally, I have no use for any of those features.

15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

yep, and most people that would will just buy a different amp.

jh

That Cal Webway and radiocaster like this.
  16. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Then I suggest you apply for a job at Fender as Market Research Analyst.

nojazzhere and The-Kid like this.
  17. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I find it interesting that you want an amp that sounds just like an original Fender but you want an FX loop in it. The minute you add any effects the amp no longer will sound like the amp you want it to. A lot of people overthink things that no one, themselves included, will ever notice. Just plug in and play. Once you start approaching the kind of prices you’re thinking these amps should sell for, people start looking outside of the Fender catalog. Fender is a mass produced, assembly line company. I love Fender, but I accept it for what it is.

jh

18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I got this far and I am sorry I read this far.

aux8 and RodeoTex like this.
  19. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

I have to mention the Super Sonic Twin (and head), which was a feature-laden Mesa-killer flagship, really a great amp in a lot of ways, but heavy, noisy, complex, and a total marketing flop. Meanwhile Fender can sell new TRRIs all day long.

The-Kid likes this.
  20. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Okay okay you actually did have good points....

Its just it would be so cool....

Damn logic.

I concede.

Just trying here guys...doesnt hurt.

But yeah.

Durtdog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.