1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Computer SSD ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Why do companies sell computers with 1TB and 128GB SSD drives?
    Seems to me 128GB is relatively small, considering Doom was a ~50GB download.
    Seems to me getting a 500GB would make more sense plus a data storage drive.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A brand or model must be limiting what you see. I buy (my job) several in between each year.

My own skinny 12 in MacBook has the 500 and faster CPU option. The HP series I buy has several.

Cloud storage is one reason many don't choose more storage. Holding two virtual machines is why I got 500.

3. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I work on a system with a 500gb Sata and a 128gb SSD. The SSD has the operating system and is only there to speed up the boot process no data is written to it.

4. Boubou

Ok, imwji not sure what you are talking about.
    Having the OS makes sense, it would boot faster (how much faster is another question),
    But wouldn't having all your programs on there make sense too? Hence having more than 128 GB
    Let's say I die playing Doom, now I have to reload the level, having it installed on a SSD would make the whole process much faster, yes, no, maybe?
    I am looking into buying a pc for games, not that I play a lot but I can deduct it for tax purposes . The ready mades have 128 GB, everybody else's suggests 500 GB.
    Since my current pc is a HP is unupgradable because the video card slot is backassward I want to be careful about what I buy.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I always build with dual hard drives. Having just the OS on one lets you replace it if it fails without losing your programs and saved data. If the larger drive with all the saved data fails, you can replace it without having to reinstall the OS and all the updates, saving a couple of hours. I keep an external backup of important stuff just in case, too.

The system can also read and write from both drives at the same time, which is a performance advantage when it needs data from both the OS and programs at once. If it's all on one, the hard drive has to multitask to get all of it when called for.

6. Boubou

Yes I always have data and os/program on different drives.
    The question is 128 vs 500 GB SSD

7. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

SSD's are newer, smaller, faster and quieter than disc based drives. THey are also more expensive. To have an all SSD computer with enough storage can get pricey so you see machines with a combination of SSD and disc based drives. They are owever, only faster at loading and writing data and generally won't help Doom run any faster. The only difference you might see is that levels will load more quickly. On the other hand your OS get's a much better boost from being on an SSD as it accesses more data more frequently. Thus it is common to keep the OS on a smaller SSD and use a cheaper drive for other programs.

At first you could only get SSD's in 120-250GB and they weren't large enough for an entire system so the combo approach has become common. Larger capacity SSD's are just starting to get more commonplace and the prices are gradually coming down. Eventually the old disc based technology will disappear and systems with a single large SSD will become available.

Windows is much more snappy on an SSD and boot times are quicker.

Then there are guys like me. My rig has four SSD's and no standard drives. The OS resides on an 256GB SSD that mounts directly to the motherboard in one of the PCI slots instead of using the SATA interface and it is ridiculously fast and silent. My games are on a 500GB SSD and my DAW and music programs are on another. The 4th drive is for general storage.

In summation, if you can get your OS on an SSD it is generally worth it these days but most games won't benefit much from the technology.

8. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You can get by with the OS on a 128GB drive but I like the extra space 256GB affords. With all the updates and such these days things are trending larger and I try to keep all my drives under 80% capacity.

If you want a rig with a single drive I'd go at least 500GB. It's also pretty easy to add a second drive down the road if needed.

9. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Ah. This, plus a cup of coffee, brings much clarity. [emoji2]

Some of the later posts answer that pretty well. Manufacturers looking to reach market with a competitive price, or define upgrade points between models, probably is involved as well.

10. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

I have a 1TB SSD in my MacBook Pro and I back everything up to a USB 1TB drive. Large capacity SSD's have become affordable in the last year so I was able to buy more space than I need for not much more money than a 256GB would have cost last year.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You beat me to it - also, if you have an aged computer (like moi), it may not accept the larger SSDs. Thankfully, our comps at work took the 1TB SSDs happily. I'd suspect disk drives will be obsolete very soon.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

OS and any RAM swap on the SSD - access speed is way up, your computer will feel a lot faster, be quiet, and use much less battery power; you have a laptop for battery portability right? Deep storage on the the conventional HDD. Archives on the network storage device.

When the SSD keels over you still have your data on the HDD and the archive so you just get a new SSD and install.

I run Linux so the whole operating system fits easily under a dozen GB SSD so the cheapest SSDs are quite easy.

13. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

An SSD boots my Windows 10 PC in seconds. A hard drive, well put the kettle on and make a sandwich while you wait.

I install programs to the SSD and save all my data, music, video etc to a 2TB hard drive.

SSD's are the way to go. Once large SSD's are available at a comparitive price, the hard drive will go the way of the 3.5 inch floppy drive.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.