1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Computer Questions...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Mar 3, 2007.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

OK Guys,

I'm now running Mozilla Firefox. Thanks for all the tips. I'm obviously NOT a computer person. Now for the (I'm sure) bad news...I ran disk diagnostics on the hard drive and it said "Fail". I think my hard drive is toast. Hope not, but I'll bet it is. Like I said before, second time in as many years. Crap!! Sooooooo, in goes the Power Mac G-4.
    Just a few more questions regarding the Mac: Can I use my Dell monitor with it? I'm using the original Power Mac G-4 lcd monitor with the Power Mac G-5. Can I use my H.P. scanner/printer with it? Will the drivers for my peripheral stuff (i.e. Soundblaster, Photoshop, various games, etc.).work with the Mac or do they need to be "Mac specific"? Any other considerations I need to be aware of? Thanks again.

Tom

2. ajmikula

ajmikula TDPRI Member

Tom! Give Dell a call; if your computer is still under warranty they should be able to replace the hard drive for you. If it's been two years, there's a chance.

As far as the Mac goes...your Windows versions of those programs will not work. The printer should. Good luck!

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

hahahahahahahahaha

4. jlrich

jlrich Tele-Afflicted

YES....do the AVG thing. Thanks to the folks here, mainly Mark Davis, I did the trial for 30 days and was very happy with so I downloaded a 2 year subscription.

It works very well and hardly chokes your system at all. And, it automatically runs a scan every day.

5. jjkurtz

jjkurtz Tele-Meister

You should have no problem at all using the Dell monitor and the H.P. scanner/printer. OS X may have the drivers already but if you can't print or scan once you plug it up check the disc it came with as it may have a Mac driver on it. If not, go to HP's website and download the Mac driver as I'm sure they'll have one. It may take some digging but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Is your Soundblaster internal or external? Either way, you may be able to get it to work but I wouldn't bet on it.

Forget about any software working on the Mac (like games and Photoshop). It was made for Windows and it isn't compatible with the Macintosh. They make Mac versions of most Windows programs. The only hassle with this is that you have to pay for all new programs and that can be expensive when you're buying Photoshop again.

As far as antivirus software for the Mac goes, others have already said it: there's no need.

My $.02 on the Norton vs. AVG debate is that Mark Davis is right on the money. Norton is a hog that gets in the way of everything.

Myself, I use Kubuntu Linux on an HP nc6000 notebook and I couldn't be happier (unless it had iLife). Anyone who's halfway computer savvy, is sick of viruses, spyware, and defrags and who also doesn't want to pay the Apple premium should check out Kubuntu. Don't get me wrong, Mac's are great and IMHO probably the best choice if you have the money but Linux is the workingman's alternative.:)

6. jumpnblues

With AVG should I keep Norton Firewall (on my Dell)? Can you run AVG antivirus with Norton Firewall? Their website says free AVG doesn't include firewall.

Tom

7. Mark Davis

I just use the stock windows xp firewall.

Go to start click control panel then security center and turn everything on.

Windows updates are the most important thing to keep your system safe be sure you have it all updated and auto updates are on.

8. jlrich

jlrich Tele-Afflicted

AVG 7.5 has an "all-in-one" package. It has anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, and a firewall. Two years for $69.95.

9. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

AMEN! I use Ubuntu and Xubuntu and have had a very good experience with it on a wide variety of hardware. One more thing about security, Firefox has an extension called AdBlock Pro that really helps cut down on spyware in Windows and annoyances for all; it blocks those stupid flash banners you see on various web pages. As for the monitor, I use a 15" HP lcd with my macbook pro, sometimes a 19" Dell crt and even a 50" Sony projection tv via HDMI without problems. Macs are great with auto detecting monitors. A little tip though, go into system prefs and then displays and set it to show the the display prefs in the taskbar up top; very handy when using multiple monitors. Also, if Dell won't support your comp, hard drive replacement is very simple to do, but if you aren't familiar with how to do it, you might want to ask for help with setting up Windows again.

10. jumpnblues

OK, I installed AVG and disabled all my Norton AV and other stuff and I can't receive email in my Outlook Express, and can't open email in my Hotmail account. Now what do I do? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tom

11. jjkurtz

jjkurtz Tele-Meister

Try uninstalling Norton from Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs. If you haven't restarted your computer yet do that first since it seems to solve a lot of problems.

12. Mark Davis

Norton takes over your system so much its hard to get all of it out of there.

YOu cant just disable Norton you have to completly uninstall it.

You need to remove all entries of Norton from your startup squence.

Go to start click run then type in msconfig then click the startup tab and remove all the Norton stuff reboot and try again.

I have worked on systems where I could never get all of Norton out of there so had to format and re-install everything.

13. bassbuster33

bassbuster33 Tele-Meister

I would not recommend just running the XP firewall. Firewalls serve two purposes, the more commonly known reason is to keep your computer from being 'visible' on the internet. The other, and in a lot of ways it is more important, is to keep in check what applications on your computer are accessing the internet. If you have malware on your computer that is calling out you will not know it with the XP firewall, it does not monitor that.

There are some free alternatives out there that will monitor outgoing activity. ZoneAlarm is one of them.

14. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Zone Alarm is good Fire wall protection
    AVG is a good Anti Virus
    Lava soft is good Spy ware remover

But like all states there is no 100% protection. Expect for Common Sense

15. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This is abosulutely not true. Having worked in technical support for a company that released software for Macs with a virus on the CD, I can attest to this. Fortunately for me, the program sucked and very few people bought it, so the headaches for me were minor.

While viruses in the Mac world are relatively rare, there are a few and you shouldn't be careless about it.

16. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

You are probably referring to the days of Mac OS 9. There were a few viruses back then. There are no viruses out in the wild for Mac OS X.

17. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Actually, I think 8.6 might have still been current. But there are a few viruses for OSX as well, though some would split hairs and say that they're trojans or worms instead of viruses per se.

Are they big threat? No. Are they a threat? Yes.

18. stratology

stratology Tele-Meister

Link, please?

19. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

OSX/Leap-A

You cannot be infected by this unless you do all of the following:

1) Are somehow sent (via email, iChat, etc.) or download the "latestpics.tgz" file

2) Double-click on the file to decompress it

3) Double-click on the resulting file to "open" it

...and then for non-Admin users, it fails to infect most applications.

You cannot simply "catch" the virus. Even if someone does send you the "latestpics.tgz" file, you cannot be infected unless you unarchive the file, and then open it.
    :p

20. jumpnblues

OK guys, I uninstalled all Norton stuff and installed AVG and Mozilla Firefox. No problems with Outlook Express but I can't open the email in my MSN Hotmail account. I can receive it, I just can't open it. It was opening for a short time about 1/2 hr ago and now I can't open it again. Strange deal. I did get a message just once that Mozilla had lost contact with the server, that's when I went to my hotmail account and the mail opens! Go figure. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Tom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.