computer maintenance part Deux

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Nov 10, 2017.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A while back last week or so I posted a thread about "
    How many of you do your own computer maintenance?
    great responces everyone,

anyways some one asked What is reballing the graphics chip ,Last night I attempted to reball a problem 2009 Imac 21.5" there are a ton of videos on Youtube on the subject, and although the methodology and execution may differ the in fo is the same and the process, remains .

Here's how I approach it:

back ground , My Vetrinarian gave me a 21.5" Imac, problem was the graphics chip goes all intermittent and locks up the unit. I have tried reballing it 3 times to see If it will fix the problem, No it didnt work.

so I installed a fan control app that allows me to monitor and control the fan speeds for CPU, HD, and DVD plus it accesses the Graphics Processor temperature sensor, with some tweaking I was able to reduce the crashing feature by ramping the fans before the GPU went critical. This is a good thing, so Last Night I dissmantled the Imac to try one more time to reball the graphic chip to reduce the high temperature I was getting.

CPU fan was set to 2600 RPM CPU temp 75 F
    HD fan was set to 3700 RPM HD temp 75-80 F
    DVD fan was set to 3200 RPM DVD temp 83 F
    GPU 135 F ( too hot) all other perameters are well under 100 F
    so I dis mantled the Computer and removed the GPU
    ( ATI Radion HD 2400 with 128 MB video ram)

P1011850.JPG

when I do anything inside a computer I always wear a static discharge band digital electronics is really susseptable to static electricity
    P1011860.JPG

After cleaning all of the old Thermal paste off of the Video ram chips, Graphics chips, and heat sinks with 99 % alcohol and Q-tips and really cleaning them well,
    P1011861.JPG
    I wrap the Graphics Card in multiple layers of tin foil with a window cut out to expose the actual chip
    this protects the rest of the board from excessive heat.
    P1011863.JPG

I place a metal plate over top of the wrapped GC again exposing the chip I turn on my heat gun to 250 F for a few minutes to heat the chip then raise it to 310 F to Reball any broken solder joints with in the chip, there alr tons of contrary opinions on this, but this works for me
    P1011869.JPG
    P1011870.JPG

I test this to ensure the heat is enough to melt solder by melting a small piece of solder using just the heat from the heat gun , I blast the chip from 5-10 minutes tops then let it cool for same undisteerbed
    before unwrapping it.

In this case I gave the card a small blast of heat to ensure there were no broken solder joints on the card , this is not something i would normally do ,but the symptoms indicate a possible issue here. the rest is total re-assemblly of the computer and Viola it works

P1011877.JPG

this did not successfully repair the issues with this computer but with the fan app I was able to prevent the graphics chip from failure , it still over heats to 135 F ,and may require a new Graphic Chip or coolng array, My other machine that had the dust bunnies from my first post the GPU runs at 87 F under load and the temperature has dropped several degrees after the cleaning.

I did this for those who may be interested , check You tube for more or different approaches , DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE NO EXPIRIENCE WITH THIS TYPE OF REPAIR, I ASSUME ZERO LIABILITY FOR THIS TO GO BAD DUE TO LACK Of KNOWLEDGE OR INEXPIRIENCE.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Pasta Player likes this.
  2. 24 track

Ok I fingered it out,
    the Issue initially was the the over heating of the graphics chip that caused this unit to go all screwgy haa'd, I have busted my hiny trying to figure it out, I re-balled it 4 times with no cure for the heating issue. This unit is one year earlier than the the one in my first post , the one in my first post was running an ATi Radeon HD 2400XT graphics card 128 MB video ram , the one pictured above runs a ATi Radeon HD 2600XT running a 256 MB video ram , although the cards look Identical the upgraded graphics card will run considerably hotter at 135 F at idle as where the ATi Radeon HD 2400XT runs at 85 F at idle, the extra video ram was never intended for this machine and will over heat extremely under load ( I played the movie "avatar" and the graphics chip rose up tp 175 F under load), so in short for 15.00 US i have a new to me ATi Radeon HD 2400XT that has crashed I will re ball it and install it into the Imac and see where that goes

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I've done some much computer repair over the years, I'm done but for memory and HD replacement. My 2010 27" iMac was going to black screen after 10 minutes boot up and couldn't get back to the desktop but for a reboot. A terminal thermo issue. HD was fine.

So Staples (an office supply co.) has that unit now, they recycle for free.

This was me 10 days ago, successful removal of the iMac's original HD. Today UPS has my new 27" on the truck and I'm hanging around for the delivery.

[​IMG]

4. 24 track

I bet if you reballed the graphic chip it would have come back to life!, I just finished one of these about a month ago and its working fine , I wish we were closer I would have fixed it for you.
    the graphics chip is mounted so that you dont have to take out the mother board so the repair would have taken about an hour to do, much easier than the one Im working is

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the kind thought,

Fans weren't coming on,.. As a retired Mac Consultant I've come to understand there's a point at which spending time and $$ on elderly computers isn't the best option, it had the original HD, 12GB memory, all upgradable but again,.. If it were a client, for reliability I'd suggest replacing the unit. So I took my own advice.

I have a 27" 5k iMac coming today w/ a 1TB SSD and 32GB memory,.. I should be happy.

24 track likes this.
  6. 24 track

I always have a soft spot for bringing the technology back into usefullness, some how some where, Mac repairs are usually fairly easybut you have to be detail oriented then it becomes old hat,, I guess I ould draw my line in the sand at the new slim line units, where you need a new sealing kit just to get the creen or glass cover back on.
    Hell I even figured out a way to fly an Imac on a vesa mount!

P2021538.JPG P2021539.JPG P2021541.JPG

Pasta Player and stephent2 like this.
  7. 24 track

Ok I confirmed what the reballing could not , This comp had a reball issue which I did , and all worked but i had a serious overheat issue the comp graphics chip monitor read 135 F at idle and 178 F in use .Way too hot and suspect for eminent failure, I replaced the graphics chip with and still had the over heat issue although the computer worked fine, So I had a flash Idea , what if the chip is not the issue but the cooling aray (seen in 1st picture) I found one on Ebay and it arrived yesterday so I installed it tonight and after 4 hrs of testing the GPU read at 98F at idle and 103F under video load well under operating limits and is now fully repaired ,

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

What is the name of the fan control app pls?

9. 24 track

Hi w3stie,
    No worries
    the one I use is called "Fan control" mine is for 32 bit as it's on an older Imac I'm not sure what OS you are running but a quick google search should bring it up , if you cant find it let me know I will be back in a few days and i will help you find a link , now I do know they make a PC version as well, the mac version I have shows up in the "Systems preference "window and I click on the icon to use iit , that simple.

I hope this helps

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a 2010 27" iMac. The only app I could see in the app store was $25 and didn't have the ability to control speed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.