1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Computer Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by colchar, Jan 24, 2021.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I recently installed GuitarPro (legit copy) on my desktop and it worked perfectly. When I installed it on my laptop I couldn't get it to work. Whenever I try to open it I get pop-ups saying that some .dll files are missing. Apparently this is a fairly common problem. I checked the web for solutions (reinstall Visual C++, run various functions under the Administrator command prompt, etc.), but none of them have worked. I even downloaded the .dll files and that didn't do anything (no guarantee I did the right thing with them once downloaded though, as I am far from a technical expert).

I am currently running a system restore to see if that resolves it, but if it doesn't I have no idea what to do next. The only thing I can think of is to reinstall Windows, but that will be a pain in the butt, if I can even find my Windows disc.

So I was wondering if anyone here might be able to offer any advice for how to resolve this?

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Maybe you've already did this, but first things first:

Open a command prompt (I'll assume you know how to do that). In that window, type "sfc /scannow". That should tell you if there are any .dll files that are corrupted, or missing, BUT it only knows what is supposed to be there by what has been installed, so it may be you aren't up-to-date with the latest versions of .NET or the C++ or VB runtime libraries (which, honestly, should have been checked and installed by the GuitarPro installer, but I digress...).

Do you have a list of the .dll files that GuitarPro says it requires? We can help figure it out from there.

telleutelleme, colchar and Boreas like this.
  3. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

SFC isn't a bad place to start, but you'll want to run this from an elevated command prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

telleutelleme and Boreas like this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Is it a supported version of Windows, and are you up to date with patches? That's important to know before you spend time at anything else.

colchar and uriah1 like this.
  5. medownsouth

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Also. Try uninstall and try again
    You prob already did

make sure you are admin

7. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-msvcp140-dll-is-missing-error-on-windows/

Make sure to run windows updates, *after* you installed the visual studio library.

MSVCP140.dll file is a part of the Visual C ++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015

option 6 explains how do download and register the dll by hand (if necessary)

make sure it's in the correct directory for your version of windows.

colchar likes this.
  8. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I have done both of those. That is what I meant when I said "run various functions under the Administrator command prompt". I said that because I couldn't remember the commands off the top of my head so figured that would cover things.

I will list the missing .dll files shortly. I threw my back out on Friday, am still in a ton of pain, and my laptop is on the other side of the room right now. When I am forced to get up (ie. need the bathroom), I will grab my laptop.

9. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

10. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yes, I did.

11. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I will try this shortly (see post above about laptop being across the room).

12. medownsouth

If you're getting the MSVCP140.dll error, then you need to install the corresponding version of the redist that contains it (found in the link I shared)

13. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

I'd say therein lies your problem. If your Windows came with/off. CDs you'll probably need to find a server with a version of GP to match that!
    Windows software is, always backwardly compatible... To a point!

14. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone.

Took some heavy duty painkillers and fell asleep for a while!

I tried several of the suggestions, and installed the missing .dll files manually. But in all of my poking around, I screwed something up and when starting up my laptop now goes into a repair utility. I will resolve that, then check whether Guitar Pro works now.

Worst comes to worst I can just boot it into safe mode, save all of my files on an external hard drive, and then reload Windows. That being said, I noticed a few minutes ago that there is a crack in the laptop at the top right corner above the screen. No idea how that happened, unless the dog stepped on it or something. So maybe I just buy a new one. I shouldn't spend the money, but you can't take it with you right?

Anyway, I'll check out Guitar Pro once I get that repair utility stopped.

15. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

So my laptop is well and truly stuck in a repair loop. No idea why, but it is. I cannot get it to boot into safe mode, and none of the suggestions for this problem found on various website have worked. I ordered a SATA to USB cable today, and when I get it (hopefully tomorrow) I will remove the HD, transfer everything onto an external HD, and will then use the recovery CDs or my Windows ISO CD to repair or reinstall windows.

16. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For what it's worth, if that crack above the screen is just in the plastic bezel around the LCD Panel it's pretty harmless. Laptop screen bezels often crack there, and down by the hinges. Same with the keyboard bezel. These items are replaceable (varying levels of surgery depending on the make/model) but again, harmless and inevitable.

If it is Windows 10, you can save yourself some time by using the Windows 10 Installation Media:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will install windows with the latest big set of patches, so the updating won't take all day. It will also sidestep any crapware that the laptop manufacturer installs, if you don't want it. Don't connect to the Internet during the install, either via ethernet cable or WiFi. If you do it will try to force you to sign up with a Microsoft Account. If you don't have a network connection it will let you skip it.

Otherwise, the CDs/DVDs that came with the laptop should still be a safe bet. You'll just have practices scales while it updates afterwards.

colchar likes this.
  17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yes, it is Windows 10.

I have tried a bunch of stuff, and am now down to getting a SATA to USB cable so that I can get files off of the HD before I do anything else. Once I have safely saved the files to an external HD, I will reload Windows.

18. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

OK, things ended up getting weird.

I couldn't get out of the repair loop so I bought a cable and removed all of my files from the hard drive. After doing that I tried the repair utility again but it kept asking for my Gmail password. No idea why as the two are not connected. But whenever I put the password in, it told me it was wrong. It wasn't, as I was logged into Gmail on my dekstop computer so I obviously know my password. Anyway, I eventually tried to reinstall Windows using an ISO disc, and that did nothing. I then tried my recovery discs, and that started to work but then it asked me for a specific drivers (and something else) disc, but none of the recovery discs worked. So then I was down to reinstalling Windows 7, so I did that. But when I tried to input my product key, it told me it was invalid despite the fact that I was reading it directly off of the Microsoft sleeve in which the disc had come! I eventually got it to work with a key from the internet. Today I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and did so using an ISO disc created from the Microsoft webpage linked above. The computer crashed twice during the install (blue screen of death crashes). I eventually got it to work, got it to accept a product key, and it loaded up. When it was finished my desktop wallpaper picture was still showing on the screen despite me having deleted all pictures (and all of my other files) from the hard drive! No idea how that happened.

But since things are really screwy with this computer, and the two 'blue screen of death' crashes worried me (I am a prof and am teaching online so I need a computer with a camera and mic), I said to hell with it and ordered a Macbook Air. I pick it up later today. I am sick and tired of Windows to the point that I am willing to give Mac a try. I could have saved a ton of money by buying a camera and mic for my desktop, but that would have tied me to my desk when working or in meetings. I am also taking slide lessons online, and my desk wouldn't be the best place to attempt those. Nope, a laptop with a camera makes more sense despite the cost.

I really hope this Macbook doesn't make me wish that I had bought an iPad when I bought my tablet a couple of months ago.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you have an external hard drive dedicated as your Time Machine backup ASAP. Spend a small amount of time to understand how those backups work.

glenlivet likes this.
  20. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Yes, I will be ordering an external drive today. I just have to get through an online seminar before I can look up prices. Then again, if the seminar becomes really boring I can use the time to shop online.

My younger brother is a Mac devotee, and has been using them exclusively for about 20 years, so I have him for tech support/advice. He just doesn't know that yet and is going to be thrilled when he finds out.......................

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.